Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 09:58 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
regarding view expressed in post above
as a mother of three adult sons
i can assure you that they don't have a clue or an inkling of much of what i do, think, feel, explore, deem important, or am knowledgeable about.

i find the view expressed in post above to be condescending, but i also think in general that often adult children don't have a clue about who their parents are as people, as individuals, what goes on in their head and in their heart, or the things they have dealt with in their life, and continue to deal with in their daily life.
A reasonable post, although I think parents often have the same lack of awareness about their children's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 10:01 AM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't see any sexism here. I had plenty of male relatives and have known other men who went to church for what appears to be the same level of thinking. I don't see whether a person is male or female affects this much.
again, watching the finger that points and missing the moon.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:19 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
whatever reason mom goes to church it is upto her what is good enough or not. not for Harry or Mystic to decide.
But it is OK for you to presume my Mother goes to church to get attention?

And here is another simple concept. My Mother and I, we talk to each other.

Quote:
but make g a decision to keep it simple because it works for you is not a good enough reason to berate others who want to understand.
But it is OK for you to berate others for simply pointing out that for some, it is not complicated?

Matthew 7:5 - You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
regarding view expressed in post above
as a mother of three adult sons
i can assure you that they don't have a clue or an inkling of much of what i do, think, feel, explore, deem important, or am knowledgeable about.

i find the view expressed in post above to be condescending, but i also think in general that often adult children don't have a clue about who their parents are as people, as individuals, what goes on in their head and in their heart, or the things they have dealt with in their life, and continue to deal with in their daily life.
Ironically another condescending post from you.

Some of us do talk with our parents about these things. Or did you not think of that possibility in your need to once again attack?

Old 10-17-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
again, watching the finger that points and missing the moon.
Probably because you are not pointing at the moon.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:36 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
whatever reason mom goes to church it is upto her what is good enough or not. not for Harry or Mystic to decide. as a side note this smacks of sexism whether you are aware or not. same reason why women were barred from being ordained or allowed to preach.
as for ceding power to others to interpret, that is willful submission. you an go straight to the text and learn to interpret. or not.
but make g a decision to keep it simple because it works for you is not a good enough reason to berate others who want to understand. and what that is is complex. philosophy is complex. anything worth knowing is complex. as is life itself.
Come on, CB. Take off your sexism glasses. As my daughters and wife would attest, there isn't a sexist bone in my body. It is simply true that not everyone cares about what is essentially inscrutable and unknowable. They are content with what is intellectually satisficing even if it is less than satisfying.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:38 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

But it is OK for you to berate others for simply pointing out that for some, it is not complicated?

Matthew 7:5 - You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Thank you.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:

I totally, totally get this! I discuss religion and theology regularly with my adult kids.

And I try to understand theological principles - but I am not brilliant enough, nor do I have enough free time, to figure it all out. So I leave that job to others, who apparently are brilliant enough and do have enough free time to figure out very deep theological issues - that matter to them. I'm personally satisfied with the answers I've researched.

That's not to say I don't have my own opinions, because I do, but I'll give one example:

Mary.

I wasn't raised Catholic. I was raised Protestant - and in fact, I remember one year when I was the music director for a pretty large Presbyterian church, I suggested that we sing Ave Maria - AT CHRISTMAS TIME. I was told in no uncertain terms that we would not be singing that particular song, at Christmas time or any other time. Goodness. I was surprised.

That being said, I am not a big Marian sort of person. I mean, I have my own beliefs about Mary - and since I converted to Catholicism, I have studied more about Mary, but I still don't have that deep sense of adoration toward Mary that some Catholics have. And I'll be totally honest, I'm not sure I agree with everything in the catechism regarding Mary. But that being said, you know what I figure? I figure that I agree with so much of what the Church teaches, that I'm going to give smarter people than me some grace when it comes to Mary.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I am trying my best to communicate with you. Really. I dont know why it is so difficult.
Here is you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes

It can be simple, or one can make it complicated. My Mother is an example, she simply goes to church, and leaves things like theology to the theologians.
I am not presuming anything I am only repeating what you shared about your mother's action as being simple. And I asked you what you mean by simply going. I believe people do go to to church to be seen, make their presence known, to fellow members, the priest. I interpret "simply going" just means that. But you did not explain it and instead accuse me of presuming something weird about your mother whom I dont even know.

I dont know how you define berate. To say spirituality is complex is just disagreeing with the OP who claims it does not have to be.

I am quite impressed with your stock of Biblical quotes and instant references. Good job. All that church going has paid off. Or is it studying? Nothing simple about that.
I am glad you your mother and you talk to each other. I never thought otherwise.

Old 10-17-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Come on, CB. Take off your sexism glasses. As my daughters and wife would attest, there isn't a sexist bone in my body. It is simply true that not everyone cares about what is essentially inscrutable and unknowable. They are content with what is intellectually satisficing even if it is less than satisfying.
Mystic, you know very well that all religions are rife with sexism. There is really nothing to argue about that. And you dont have to prove anything to me, I did not accuse YOU of sexism, just that the statement "it is good enough" can be.
The OP is not about who cares about the texts and interpretations. But those who care and want to study it are not just "unnecessarily complicating it." It IS complex. If you want theologians to explain it to you, fine. But if you feel , as you do, that those theologians have too much power, then don't cede the power! Do the work if it is important to you. If it is not important to you do something else. But dont dismiss what you dont know, dont understand and you need someone to instruct you, as being needlessly complex.
We all dont study aeronautics, or even want to. We just want to fly. But we will never dream of dismissing it as needlessly complex. Spirituality is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality