Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 05:13 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, but then 1) we can't argue about things and 2) we actually have to DO something simple rather than argue about things.
there ya go ...

Hold ourselves to the same standards we demand from others ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 08:28 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Treat others the way you want to be treated. That seems pretty simple to me. Of course I can get all esoteric about it but if I get busy treating others the way I want to be treated, I don't have a whole lot of time left over for navel gazing.
Platitudes have their place and work upto a point. Life is more complex than that. Jesus also said when injured by someone turn the other cheek. That is an immense shift from the the first one and it is no platitude. You don’t hear it often. Because it requires more thought and effort, an interior adjustment before you can do that. That old navel gazing. An examined life is worth the time.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:16 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Treat others the way you want to be treated. That seems pretty simple to me. Of course I can get all esoteric about it but if I get busy treating others the way I want to be treated, I don't have a whole lot of time left over for navel gazing.

It can be simple, or one can make it complicated. My Mother is an example, she simply goes to church, and leaves things like theology to the theologians.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

It can be simple, or one can make it complicated. My Mother is an example, she simply goes to church, and leaves things like theology to the theologians.
What does simply go to church mean? Just show up to be seen? Theology and attending church do not mix somehow? Theologians dont go to church?
Harry, you make no sense.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:53 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What does simply go to church mean? Just show up to be seen? Theology and attending church do not mix somehow?
She goes to church for the same reasons other Christians go to church, because she believes in the Christian god, to sing and to pray. But she has no interest in the theological arguments such as the Trinity.

The concept is not that difficult to understand for most people.

Quote:
Theologians dont go to church?
Whether they go to church is irrelevant to what my mother does.

Quote:
Harry, you make no sense.
Your inability to understand simple concepts may be due to increased blood pressure in your neck from constant navel gazing.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:32 AM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

That is more than enough as long as she loves God and each other every day and repents when she fails, IMO.

Quote:
Platitudes have their place and work up to a point. Life is more complex than that. Jesus also said when injured by someone turn the other cheek. That is an immense shift from the first one and it is no platitude. You don’t hear it often. Because it requires more thought and effort, an interior adjustment before you can do that. That old navel-gazing. An examined life is worth the time.
As Meerkat keeps reminding me, we all have different spirits and spiritual needs. For many, the belief in God is enough without all the specifics or leaving the specifics to those who think they're capable of knowing them. Unfortunately, that gives power to those delineating the specifics and power can and does lead to abuses.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Platitudes have their place and work upto a point. Life is more complex than that. Jesus also said when injured by someone turn the other cheek. That is an immense shift from the the first one and it is no platitude. You don’t hear it often. Because it requires more thought and effort, an interior adjustment before you can do that. That old navel gazing. An examined life is worth the time.
I'm all about contemplating but not over real actions and real values, all day every day. That generally keeps me pretty busy.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is more than enough as long as she loves God and each other every day and repents when she fails, IMO.

As Meerkat keeps reminding me, we all have different spirits and spiritual needs. For many, the belief in God is enough without all the specifics or leaving the specifics to those who think they're capable of knowing them. Unfortunately, that gives power to those delineating the specifics and power can and does lead to abuses.
whatever reason mom goes to church it is upto her what is good enough or not. not for Harry or Mystic to decide. as a side note this smacks of sexism whether you are aware or not. same reason why women were barred from being ordained or allowed to preach.
as for ceding power to others to interpret, that is willful submission. you an go straight to the text and learn to interpret. or not.
but make g a decision to keep it simple because it works for you is not a good enough reason to berate others who want to understand. and what that is is complex. philosophy is complex. anything worth knowing is complex. as is life itself.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:52 AM

22,229 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
My Mother is an example, she simply goes to church, and leaves things like theology to the theologians.
regarding view expressed in post above
as a mother of three adult sons
i can assure you that they don't have a clue or an inkling of much of what i do, think, feel, explore, deem important, or am knowledgeable about.

i find the view expressed in post above to be condescending, but i also think in general that often adult children don't have a clue about who their parents are as people, as individuals, what goes on in their head and in their heart, or the things they have dealt with in their life, and continue to deal with in their daily life.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:57 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
whatever reason mom goes to church it is upto her what is good enough or not. not for Harry or Mystic to decide. as a side note this smacks of sexism whether you are aware or not. same reason why women were barred from being ordained or allowed to preach.
as for ceding power to others to interpret, that is willful submission. you an go straight to the text and learn to interpret. or not.
but make g a decision to keep it simple because it works for you is not a good enough reason to berate others who want to understand. and what that is is complex. philosophy is complex. anything worth knowing is complex. as is life itself.
I don't see any sexism here. I had plenty of male relatives and have known other men who went to church for what appears to be the same level of thinking. I don't see whether a person is male or female affects this much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality