Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2021, 10:01 AM

63,827 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No one is confused here! Not at all...

There seems to be just a little confusion about why that is, while we all certainly don't think, feel or believe the same things for the same reasons, but no matter. Just ask anyone in this forum. Especially a select few of the aware ones. They'll tell you all you need to know about what you are confused about! Be prepared to leave all facts, reason, logic, and all other than personal feelings and experiences at the door...
What facts, reason, logic, and others about Religion and Spirituality are you referring to, LearnMe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 11:27 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What facts, reason, logic, and others about Religion and Spirituality are you referring to, LearnMe?
Time for me to be signing off from here again today. Sadly...

I've posted enough comments about this just today in one thread or another, let alone so many in the past. Forgive me if I don't feel like starting over right now, or later. Always seems to me the best I can do is point to what really makes us feel, think and believe what we do rather than waste more time on comparing the facts, reason and logic that we all know is a big waste of all our time when it comes to changing anyone's mind here.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:37 AM

2,400 posts, read 784,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No...I'm not confused...not at all.
I just figured that one who feels that the Books are all "fiction" and the characters are all nonexistent...would just say that. Period...The End.
Not get into long, drawn out rhetoric, that in my view is completely obsessive/compulsive, and presents to me as insulting/mocking towards those that embrace differing Spiritual concepts.
But...to each their own, I guess.
I beg to differ. Confusion reigns supreme on your part.

So you feel that on CD Forum, designed for naught but the lively discussion and debate of various and sundry topics, that one (me, I,, aka as Salty...) would simply post their opinion in but a single post and then, forever more, remain muted on that subject.

See what I mean about confusion reigning supreme in your neck of the woods?

Gldn, you are collapsing like a house of cards in an earthquake, but not to worry, we will catch you before hit terra firma (or at least before the 3rd bounce)

I bid you a very

Salty

Day

Old 10-08-2021, 06:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Do you think that telling a non-believer or a believer in a different faith that they are going to hell is "completely obsessive/compulsive, and presents to me as insulting/mocking towards those that embrace differing Spiritual concept"?
No.
The Books they get that from are the most epic and prolific Books in the history of the world.
Those Books DO tell of necro judgement and paradise/reward & perdition/punishment.
Such a majority of those that have lived in the past couple thousand years have believed this to be true, that it could be considered a Standard of Human Understanding.
It is those that don't believe it (for whatever reason) that stray from that "norm".
The "Great Commission" is different from getting on people's case.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:38 PM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
No.
The Books they get that from are the most epic and prolific Books in the history of the world.
Those Books DO tell of necro judgement and paradise/reward & perdition/punishment.
Such a majority of those that have lived in the past couple thousand years have believed this to be true, that it could be considered a Standard of Human Understanding.
It is those that don't believe it (for whatever reason) that stray from that "norm".
The "Great Commission" is different from getting on people's case.
"The norm" depends on where you are and whom you associate with.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
I beg to differ. Confusion reigns supreme on your part.

So you feel that on CD Forum, designed for naught but the lively discussion and debate of various and sundry topics, that one (me, I,, aka as Salty...) would simply post their opinion in but a single post and then, forever more, remain muted on that subject.

See what I mean about confusion reigning supreme in your neck of the woods?

Gldn, you are collapsing like a house of cards in an earthquake, but not to worry, we will catch you before hit terra firma (or at least before the 3rd bounce)

I bid you a very

Salty

Day
I never said a "single post, then remain muted".
I am referring to making the argument that the Books are fiction & the characters nonexistent (and that's all)...instead of the long, literal assessment diatribes, replete with insults/mocking/bashing...whenever an argument or response is formed.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
"The norm" depends on where you are and whom you associate with.
Relative to all humankind, overall, for the last couple thousand years...those concepts are "the norm" based upon saturation levels.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No one is confused here! Not at all...

There seems to be just a little confusion about why that is, while we all certainly don't think, feel or believe the same things for the same reasons, but no matter. Just ask anyone in this forum. Especially a select few of the aware ones. They'll tell you all you need to know about what you are confused about! Be prepared to leave all facts, reason, logic and all other than personal feelings and experiences at the door...
Good...then you understand the epic and prolific prevalence of those concepts establishes its mojo.
It's just The Reality of the Way of the World.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:27 PM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Relative to all humankind, overall, for the last couple thousand years...those concepts are "the norm" based upon saturation levels.
I actually think you're wrong on that. In the year 21 A.D., the majority of people in the world were already christians? I don't think so.

But here's something christians don't want to face -- that the majority simply saying they are christian is an awfully low bar. When I lived in northern Virginia, I still attended -- at least occasionally -- a Catholic Church that was located in a neighborhood directly across the street from the highest density neighborhood of El Salvadorian immigrants (many illegal) in the D.C. area. And as they moved into the neighborhood the congregation at the Catholic Church changed drastically, becoming highly, if not majority, Latino. All very faithful Catholics. It didn't bother me, so I continued to attend that church once of twice a month. And I would see Latino gang members there attending church. Good Catholics? I don't think so. And because I was a principal, our principal's professional group met a couple times a year with a task force that combined federal, Virginia, and D.C. law enforcement efforts. We would be briefed on the type of crimes these gangs committed and we'd learn how to identify gang members based on tattoos (especially small, facial tattoos) and kerchiefs often worn in the back pocket when they weren't working. Why would they brief principals about this? Because gang members do try to get kids into gangs as young as elementary school, and although my particular school had very few middle school age gang members, I knew specifically about two kids who were in gangs, and the gangs we are talking about were east coast 'affiliates' of the more famous west coast gangs that most us are somewhat familiar with. So these good christian boys were in gangs that were involved in violent gang activity. And what about all these people that I know who will say they are christian but -- at most -- maybe attend church once a year? And that's an awfully lot of people. An awfully lot. Why is it that? Not long ago I read an article not about declining numbers of christians attending church, but about unemployed ministers who can't find churches to be a minister at.

So what does it mean to say one is a christian. What percent of christians do not actually live a christian life?

And saturation? Been to Thailand, Burma, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia? Saturated in that part of world? Saturated in China? Saturated in Japan?

Old 10-08-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I actually think you're wrong on that. In the year 21 A.D., the majority of people in the world were already christians? I don't think so.

But here's something christians don't want to face -- that the majority simply saying they are christian is an awfully low bar. When I lived in northern Virginia, I still attended -- at least occasionally -- a Catholic Church that was located in a neighborhood directly across the street from the highest density neighborhood of El Salvadorian immigrants (many illegal) in the D.C. area. And as they moved into the neighborhood the congregation at the Catholic Church changed drastically, becoming highly, if not majority, Latino. All very faithful Catholics. It didn't bother me, so I continued to attend that church once of twice a month. And I would see Latino gang members there attending church. Good Catholics? I don't think so. And because I was a principal, our principal's professional group met a couple times a year with a task force that combined federal, Virginia, and D.C. law enforcement efforts. We would be briefed on the type of crimes these gangs committed and we'd learn how to identify gang members based on tattoos (especially small, facial tattoos) and kerchiefs often worn in the back pocket when they weren't working. Why would they brief principals about this? Because gang members do try to get kids into gangs as young as elementary school, and although my particular school had very few middle school age gang members, I knew specifically about two kids who were in gangs, and the gangs we are talking about were east coast 'affiliates' of the more famous west coast gangs that most us are somewhat familiar with. So these good christian boys were in gangs that were involved in violent gang activity. And what about all these people that I know who will say they are christian but -- at most -- maybe attend church once a year? And that's an awfully lot of people. An awfully lot. Why is it that? Not long ago I read an article not about declining numbers of christians attending church, but about unemployed ministers who can't find churches to be a minister at.

So what does it mean to say one is a christian. What percent of christians do not actually live a christian life?

And saturation? Been to Thailand, Burma, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia? Saturated in that part of world? Saturated in China? Saturated in Japan?
Christianity is not the only Theology that tells of a necro judgement and paradise/reward & perdition/punishment.
Of course, you are mostly hung up on that...but it isn't & hasn't been the only game.
The "saturation" takes all people (no matter where they are or have been) into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality