Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2022, 07:49 PM

22,147 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold, rather than an incentive, is what I would consider a threat! I have NO DESIRE to ever be a physical being again. Once is enough and thankfully I am quite certain that is all that is needed. How things evolve on the spiritual side once I am "born again" from this physical existence is unknown and may remain so indefinitely for us while we are here. This was a reasonable critique relatively devoid of direct personal attack and reprobation. You might want to try to model your future critiques against it, Just a hint! Your call for respect, dignity, etc. is NOT equally deserved by ALL opinions despite your beliefs to the contrary. Some are just nonsense or woo, and some are downright dangerous or deleterious to society whether or not you believe it.
it has nothing to do with what other people hold as opinions or beliefs.
it has everything to do with your own ability to interact with other people, with dignity and respect, including those you disagree with.

that is on you as an individual, it is solely and entirely your behavior, how you carry yourself. it is taking personal responsibility for your own behavior. that is not on anyone else. it is 100% yours to own. and it is not in any way shape or form dependent upon what anyone else says does or believes.

that's what karma is about, as the OP points out, "It is what we endure as a result of our action."
your karma rests solely on you. other people don't change or affect your karma. it is solely determined by you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 08:17 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it has everything to do with your own ability to interact with other people, with dignity and respect, including those you disagree with.

that is on you as an individual, it is solely and entirely your behavior, how you carry yourself. it is taking personal responsibility for your own behavior. that is not on anyone else. it is 100% yours to own. and it is not in any way shape or form dependent upon what anyone else says does or believes.

that's what karma is about, as the OP points out, "It is what we endure as a result of our action."
your karma rests solely on you. other people don't change or affect your karma. it is solely determined by you.
You are correct. And you need to remember that it works the same way for you and "your own ability to interact with other people, with dignity and respect, including those you disagree with".

Old 06-30-2022, 08:59 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You are correct. And you need to remember that it works the same way for you and "your own ability to interact with other people, with dignity and respect, including those you disagree with".
You remind of a fox that runs across our back yard every morning, with some small animal it caught that day in its mouth. Maybe i am not being very charitable to the fox.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:49 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You remind of a fox that runs across our back yard every morning, with some small animal it caught that day in its mouth. Maybe i am not being very charitable to the fox.
You certainly are earning karma, and not bun.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:56 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
The bold, rather than an incentive, is what I would consider a threat! I have NO DESIRE to ever be a physical being again. Once is enough and thankfully I am quite certain that is all that is needed. How things evolve on the spiritual side once I am "born again" from this physical existence is unknown and may remain so indefinitely for us while we are here.

This was a reasonable critique relatively devoid of direct personal attack and reprobation. You might want to try to model your future critiques against it, Tzaph. Just a hint! Your call for respect, dignity, etc. is NOT equally deserved by ALL opinions despite your beliefs to the contrary. Some are just nonsense or woo, and some are downright dangerous or deleterious to society whether or not you believe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

Tzaph, you seem to find that kind of self-centered concern about the effect of karma paramount apparently out of concern for YOUR karma!!. IMO that leaves no room for the deserved disapproval or disrespect for the actions, opinions, attitudes, etc. of others that are dangerous or deleterious to society!!!

Fortunately, I have no such concern for my karma having met the Oneness. I am disposed to try to minimize or eliminate the misguided actions, opinions, attitudes, etc. of others that are dangerous and deleterious. YMMV. Phet has good advice for you below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Old 07-01-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I'd also add that I was taught beginners Tai Chi by a immigrant from China without much cultural background. I'd that cultural appropriation if I was taught by him or a native Canadian? If it was not how would that be different from learning Yoga the same way or playing the bagpipes?
Or do I need to find people from China,India and Scotland to find out because minorities know what it is? There are some acts that are obviously cultural appropriation but what about those that are not so obvious? If you are learning it for the sake of learning it and not for profit, insulting or mocking is it never appropriation?

I am an atheist but I am also of Jewish ethnicity so asking questions is part of my culture. And a good way of learning.
If you are learning something that has a cultural identity, such as Tai Chi or Yoga, both of which come from long, age old tradition, and carries a lot meaning in form and attitude, you would be benefit from learning it from someone who has herself got training from masters, honors the tradition and understands it and will impart all that knowledge to you. In this case in my opinion there is no appropriation, only appreciation. It is all about the teacher, not the student. That kind of teacher too deserves reverence and to be paid well for what she is teaching you.
All immigrants don’t necessarily have all the knowledge about their traditions. But their traditions still remain true.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:44 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
If you are learning something that has a cultural identity, such as Tai Chi or Yoga, both of which come from long, age old tradition, and carries a lot meaning in form and attitude, you would be benefit from learning it from someone who has herself got training from masters, honors the tradition and understands it and will impart all that knowledge to you. In this case in my opinion there is no appropriation, only appreciation. It is all about the teacher, not the student. That kind of teacher too deserves reverence and to be paid well for what she is teaching you.
All immigrants don’t necessarily have all the knowledge about their traditions. But their traditions still remain true.
The bold is your opinion and is not any different in character from the fundamentalist Christians who want to impart their beliefs to those they offer to help and insist upon it. Not everyone who might APPRECIATE the benefits of a specific practice is interested in the "wisdom" or "knowledge" that originated it. Should they be deprived of the benefits because they lack interest in the cultural "wisdom"???

Old 07-01-2022, 12:40 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Again you failed to answer the big question. At what point does an activity or a form of music leave it's culture and become mainstream?

Yoga and Tai Chi seemed to have morphed to mainstream to my understanding. There was a thread about a school system I think in Minnesota that started using yoga to calm hyper or ADAC students with great success but then a group of Christian parents objected because it was supposedly teaching Hinduism and the did not want devil worship taught to their children. And your military uses yoga to help members with PTSD.

So do cultural aspects ever enter mainstream or do they remain away from those not wishing to learn the culture behind it? Do college kids require learning about Iroquois culture before they are allowed to play lacrosse? Or Arabic culture to use their numerals or algebra?

Does cultural aspects ever enter mainstream and becomes available for everyone ?

Old 07-01-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
The bold is your opinion and is not any different in character from the fundamentalist Christians who want to impart their beliefs to those they offer to help and insist upon it. Not everyone who might APPRECIATE the benefits of a specific practice is interested in the "wisdom" or "knowledge" that originated it. Should they be deprived of the benefits because they lack interest in the cultural "wisdom"???
Quote:
carries a lot meaning in form and attitude, you would be benefit from learning it from someone who has herself got training from masters, honors the tradition and understands it and will impart all that knowledge to you.
Is this what you are objecting to?
How different would it be if you were learning to play a classical piece on the piano or the violin? You are not just learning to play an instrument you are also learning the thought behind the music, the mood, about the composer , the time and space he occupied, what influenced he had, what he is trying to convey? All this flows into the performance of the piece he has composed. If you did not learn all this yes, you WILL be deprived of the benefit of this knowledge that will transfer to your playing because you lack the cultural "wisdom."
While you probably understand this you resist the idea that learning yoga too has all the cultural wisdom of breath control that refines the mind, how your brain learns what your body is trying to do, and how you feel every inch of your skin and muscle as you hold the pose, tighten your knee and open the back, the benefits that accrue to your health and well being. You can learn hot yoga and do it the sound of a rock band, but you will definitely be deprived of the goodness of the "cultural" wisdom inherent in it. It is your loss.
This is why mindless appropriation of culture and monetizing it deprives all of us of the beauty inherent in it. This does not mean one should not rock yoga to hip hop, but know you are not doing yoga, you are doing something else.

Old 07-01-2022, 02:20 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Again you failed to answer the big question. At what point does an activity or a form of music leave it's culture and become mainstream?

Does cultural aspects ever enter mainstream and becomes available for everyone ?
I think all cultures have something to be gained and to learn from others. After all, isn't most American popular music based on blues and jazz (with some country admixture)? Life would be very boring if groups had to hold their own lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality