Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2022, 09:01 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Just for people who want a "grievance" culture is it cultural appropriation.
Disagree Thete are sime very clear examples for cultural appropiation. But there are those that are not clear cut. There are also those who wish to insult those who do niot see things exactly like they do. Are do not wish to explain themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 02:29 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
asking you also the same question. have you spent some time and effort in even seeking to understand what cultural appropriation is, and why it is problematic? it doesn't sound like you have. so if all you want to do is deny and rant, then that is not reasonable discussion. it is just ranting and spewing words like "asinine." from your posts, it is evident and demonstrated that you don't even care to understand the difference between "appropriation" and "appreciation." so rational discussion with you on this topic is not possible.
Oh get off your high horse, Tzaph. Your carping is getting tedious! It is asinine because the amount of intellectual effort to address the issue rigorously will NEVER be done by the general masses which means they will stupidly accuse people of cultural appropriation to virtue signal. The possibility is nil that discrimination will be applied by the general public with the rigor you claim is necessary making it just one more thing to carp about. The egregious negative instances of cultural "appropriation" can be dealt with on the basis of their general negativity without pretending that there is any need to identify it as cultural "appropriation"!

Old 07-02-2022, 02:37 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Just for people who want a "grievance" culture is it cultural appropriation.
The number of people who do NOT see the emergence of a "grievance" culture is disturbing. The obliviousness seems to be analogous to frogs in a pot of water that is slowly being heated to boiling point.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:49 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
I think all cultures have something to be gained and to learn from others. After all, isn't most American popular music based on blues and jazz (with some country admixture)? Life would be very boring if groups had to hold their own lane.
Certainly we know that in the NYC area where everyone uses Yiddish phrases! At the agency from which I retired, the Asian Employees group has a Diwali party every year, and I think there are just as many non-Hindu people attending these days as there are Hindus.

A touching moment I remember is when Pope Francis came to the WTC memorial in 2015. He laid a wreath at one of the Reflecting Absence pools and then when into the underground Memorial, where he spoke to a crowd of politicians (of course) and religious leaders of all sorts from the city, with some of them up on the stage with him.

It was televised on the NY1 station in our conference room. We all watched for a bit, but most of us went back to our desks after a while. The two who stayed for the whole thing were a Pakistani woman and a Hindu woman, both of whom were very impressed with his reaching out to everyone, which meant a lot in the spirit of where he was. The Pakistani woman said, "he's a rock star".

Those are the sorts of things that bring us together and focus on our commonalities. As the Pakistani woman said, "Look at everyone up there with the Pope. We all have our hat, and our way of dressing, but underneath, we are all the same."

Old 07-04-2022, 08:52 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The number of people who do NOT see the emergence of a "grievance" culture is disturbing. The obliviousness seems to be analogous to frogs in a pot of water that is slowly being heated to boiling point.
I do not dismiss charges of cultural appropriation as inherently seeking out grievances. There are legitimate concerns there. And there is overreach. When someone suggests that something I do is appropriative, I assess that on the merits of the argument. Sometimes it's specious. Sometimes it's gaslighting or a simple misunderstanding. Sometimes though it's a fair point, which I take on board, and modify my thinking accordingly.

Sometimes it's maybe not entirely a fair point in my view, but I can stay out of the conversation out of respect for the people from the culture itself. For example, in my area at least, BLM protestors have made it very explicit that they appreciate white people standing quietly in solidarity but do not want us speaking out on their behalf. I think that is potentially a dumb move since they can use all the fully engaged allies that they can get -- but on the other hand I understand that they are tired of being spoken FOR and spoken TO and want to find their own voice. If they make such a request, I have to respect it, even if sometimes I get personally painted with some broad brush or other. They should not really assume so much about each individual white person, but at the same time this is their rodeo, not ours, and there are probably enough "allies" making stupid or tone-deaf pronouncements for purposes of virtue-signaling that it's just easier for them to shut it down across the board. It's not about me anyway, it's about them. So I let them call the shots.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:01 AM

15,969 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Default Back to Karma

This thread has wound around many topics. I thought i will bring it back to karma and a better understanding of the concept and its relation to prayer and worship.
Our greatest fear is losing control of our situation and thereby our security. We live in innate fear, fear of losing mommy, losing a job and health insurance, being homeless, losing our family and friends. This fear makes us feel inadequate, useless, no matter how much money we make. Money and security can be gone in an instant. Kanye lost half his networth by simply being stupid. Our sense of inadequacy makes us seek comfort in stupid and harmful stuff.
Karma is the cosmic law, and the cosmic Lawgiver is Ishvara, the Lord of the Universe. He is the Lawgiver and the Law. The world as we experience it acts according to His cosmic law. Everything is and as it should be, God is in his heaven, and all is right with the world. This can be a mantra with the attitude, “things happen as they should, and i do what i can.” There really isn’t much more that we can actually do.
By accepting Ishvara and letting Him/Her, God, a Higher Power, into your heart, you cede control to Him/Her. We open our heart to the Lawgiver and the Cosmic Law. We offer him our ego, the cause of our delusion that we are in control of our situation and can shape the results of our action, Karma. By offering our ego to Him we gain acceptance of our Self. This is worship, this is the prayer.
You cede control and settle your account with your parents, wife, friend, to whomever you did harm, owe accountability. If they are not available, or it is not possible, you collect all the accounts and settle it with Ishvara. This is worship, this is the prayer.

— With gratitude to Swami Dayananda Saraswati.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:05 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This thread has wound around many topics. I thought i will bring it back to karma and a better understanding of the concept and its relation to prayer and worship.
Our greatest fear is losing control of our situation and thereby our security. We live in innate fear, fear of losing mommy, losing a job and health insurance, being homeless, losing our family and friends. This fear makes us feel inadequate, useless, no matter how much money we make. Money and security can be gone in an instant. Kanye lost half his networth by simply being stupid. Our sense of inadequacy makes us seek comfort in stupid and harmful stuff.
Karma is the cosmic law, and the cosmic Lawgiver is Ishvara, the Lord of the Universe. He is the Lawgiver and the Law. The world as we experience it acts according to His cosmic law. Everything is and as it should be, God is in his heaven, and all is right with the world. This can be a mantra with the attitude, “things happen as they should, and i do what i can.” There really isn’t much more that we can actually do.
By accepting Ishvara and letting Him/Her, God, a Higher Power, into your heart, you cede control to Him/Her. We open our heart to the Lawgiver and the Cosmic Law. We offer him our ego, the cause of our delusion that we are in control of our situation and can shape the results of our action, Karma. By offering our ego to Him we gain acceptance of our Self. This is worship, this is the prayer.
You cede control and settle your account with your parents, wife, friend, to whomever you did harm, owe accountability. If they are not available, or it is not possible, you collect all the accounts and settle it with Ishvara. This is worship, this is the prayer.

— With gratitude to Swami Dayananda Saraswati.
You state all that as if it is established fact. It is not. Another view of karma is that it is simply cause and effect.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:36 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Another view of karma is that it is simply cause and effect.
That’s my view. Sooner or later, you will do the right or wrong thing to the right or wrong person at the right or wrong time, which is a matter of probability and statistics. That’s not to knock karma as a broad philosophic concept. I (like you) only take issue when people present it as established fact, as opposed to one of many potentially reasonable viewpoints, and I say “reasonable” to the extent that people can, and generally should, be able to agree or disagree on such personal and subjective perspectives.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 01-20-2023 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-20-2023, 11:26 AM

427 posts, read 128,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
That’s my view. Sooner or later, you will do the right or wrong thing to the right or wrong person at the right or wrong time, which is a matter of probability and statistics. That’s not to knock karma as a broad philosophic concept. I (like you) only take issue when people present it as established fact, as opposed to one of many potentially reasonable viewpoints, and I say “reasonable” to the extent that people can, and generally should, be able to agree or disagree on such personal and subjective perspectives.

There is nothing wrong in viewing life as a series of cause and effect. But it is wrong to equate it with karma. The two are not the same thing.

Mom knows best is an obnoxious attitude. She shoves food in the tot's mouth regardless. Mom should shove food in her own mouth.

cb2008 says it is karma. It is related to Brahma. Cause and effect is related to the big bang.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:30 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
There is nothing wrong in viewing life as a series of cause and effect. But it is wrong to equate it with karma. The two are not the same thing.
It’s my personal perception of the same concept.

Quote:
Mom knows best is an obnoxious attitude. She shoves food in the tot's mouth regardless. Mom should shove food in her own mouth.
And now for something completely different?

Quote:
cb2008 says it is karma. It is related to Brahma. Cause and effect is related to the big bang.
What I’m describing relates to human behavior and interactions, which, certainly boil down to an ongoing series of causes and effects. Sure, that goes back to the Big Bang to the extent that the Big Bang created the universe, but so does everything in that incredibly broad sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality