Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2022, 04:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Why do Muslims think Allah does NOT mean God? As a non-believer, you should know that there can be no justification for either belief. Why do you ask???

Old 06-01-2022, 04:45 PM

461 posts, read 546,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Allah does not mean God. Allah is the name of the God in Islam. Just like the the name of God of is Yahweh in Judasim.

Non-Arab muslims don't call their God God but Allah.

God in Arabic does not mean Allah but Ilah.

God means Ilah in Arabic.
In Judaism, we have A LOT of names for God, but "Yahweh" isn't even close to being one of them. In fact, there's no W sound in Hebrew.

I've never understood where people get their info from.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:51 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
I speak according to Islam.

I don't follow any religion myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
why does this matter to you?
Quote:
What is ridiculus about the thread?

God is a general term while Allah is an unique name of God in Islam.

Therefore God does not mean Allah. Simple.

A god can be any god. Zeus is also a god but Allah and Zeus are different gods, aren't they?

Arabic word for God is Ilah. Ilah is a general term for God, not an unique name.

That why muslims say there is no Ilah except for Allah (La Ilahe Illallah).

When religious professors of Islam themselves state that Allah is an unique name of God, Christians saying the word God and Allah are the same thing just p**s me off.

My point is, Allah is an unique name while God isn't an unique name. This is the difference between 2 words.
For someone with no money invested...you sure seem overly concerned about the Bond Ratings.

Maybe get invested in The Divine...then you'll understand what really matters as respects your dividends & returns from it.
It won't be about "names".

Old 06-01-2022, 05:33 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,277,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
All languages have their own unique name for divinity. Allah is Arabic. Brhman is only one name for Divinity in Sanskrit. Others are Paramatma, Ishvara, Deva, Swami. All these connote the Divinity, among several other names which describe god’scattributes. Indian Christians call god as Kartar in Tamil and also Deva.
But Allah does not change according to language when one is a muslim. All muslims use the word Allah.

I live in Turkey and muslims are so against the turkish word Tanrı which means God to be used instead of Allah.

See? It is not about language but the religion.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why do Muslims think Allah does NOT mean God? As a non-believer, you should know that there can be no justification for either belief. Why do you ask???
I ask because muslims accept Allah as an unique name for God and both arab and non-arab muslims use the word Allah for that reason. The word Allah does not change according to language.

As for God, since christians don't use an unique name for God, this word changes according to language, unlike the word Allah.

Being from a non-arab muslim majority country, muslims are against the turkish word Tanrı, which means God, to be used instead of Allah.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 06-01-2022 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-01-2022, 05:42 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I ask because muslims accept Allah as an unique name for God and both arab and non-arab muslims use the word Allah for that reason. The word Allah does not change according to language.

As for God, since christians don't use an unique name for God, this word changes according to language, unlike the word Allah.
I will accept this post.

But I will again ask, simply, why is this so important? I think that's maybe what may be confusing some people.

For example, my adopted son is a Pakistani Muslim. If tomorrow, in Islamabad, he happens to say "god", what will happen. Will Allah strike him down? Will he fall into a bottomless pit to hell. That is the "so what" I am asking.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I will accept this post.

But I will again ask, simply, why is this so important? I think that's maybe what may be confusing some people.

For example, my adopted son is a Pakistani Muslim. If tomorrow, in Islamabad, he happens to say "god", what will happen. Will Allah strike him down? Will he fall into a bottomless pit to hell. That is the "so what" I am asking.
Nope but it is seen appropriate to use the name Allah.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:04 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Nope but it is seen appropriate to use the name Allah.
Okay. But wow. 107 posts for that?

Old 06-01-2022, 06:06 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
All this nonsense concerning a name for God or Allah or whoever is irrelevant. When one is praying, he/she just communicates internally with him. There is no use or need for a specific name.

Just as God/Allah doesn't drive a car and carry credit cards (LOL), he doesn't need a name either. Otherwise, it's trying to cheapen him and mold him into the image of man.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
All this nonsense concerning a name for God or Allah or whoever is irrelevant. When one is praying, he/she just communicates internally with him. There is no use or need for a specific name.
Worshiping is done in Arabic too in Islam.

Prayings are in Arabic and you memorize them. When it is time to worship, you worship in Arabic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.