Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2022, 03:44 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The problem is that a number of so-called believers on this forum exhibit the very behavior I've been warning people about for the last 10 years.

In fact, it has gotten 110% worse since I started posting here. It is no longer about having discussions about religion. Nope.

Every time I come here... and I do mean EVERY ... SINGLE ... TIME ... I'm not being hyperbolic in the least. Every time I come here, all I ever do is defend our "right" to be here. Any posts I write about religion or spirituality gets hand-waved away with some snide-ass little comment. There are no refutations. No rebutals. No discussions.

I honestly cannot even remember the last time anyone has even bothered addressing the things I actually say in my posts. Because there are more snowflakes on this forum than there are in Russia during the winter.

The fact that, here I am again, addressing this issue, only proves my point. We're not debating some point of religion or spirituality. Noooo. Because that doesn't happen anymore. Now it's all about certain fascists wanting the whole forum to themselves. That way once the atheists are out of the way, the Christians and the one or two Hindus on this forum can start going at it - because everyone knows that Christians think Hinduism is a fake religion with fake gods that don't exist. I'm sure some even think Hinduism is Satanic. Oh, but who cares about that.

We atheists merely think that gods don't exist. Christians think your religion and your gods are flat-out evil. But apparently that's okay. That doesn't bother the Hindus. And i don't even attack Hinduism and yet the Hindus on this board defend the Christians against the posts I write which dismantle Christanity. Because those who think your religion is evil and Satanic are far better than those who don't say anything about Hinduism at all.

Right? Isn't that how it all works?

Once we're gone. Once the Hindus are driven out by the hating Christians - because that will happen next - the Christians will then fall upon each other, which each denomination getting into each other's faces ... or maybe they won't. No. Maybe they'll just quote each others' entire post and then write, "Another rant" as the only comment. Or just leave an "eye rolling" emoticon.

So you have one sect of Christians in that corner talking about how great and awesome their god is while some other little sect of Christians does the same in some other corner - in a slightly different way. Some stupid disgreement on how to pray or what food to have on Christmas or whether women can wear make-up. It will just get dumber and dumber as time goes on.

Yeah I know - you'll all say, "Nuh uh ... it won't happen like that!" Okay. Maybe you're right. It may not happen *exactly* the way I described it. But it WILL happen. I might poke my head in this miserable and unfriendly place and laugh my head off once all the atheists and non-believers are gone, once you start sharing your stink eye with each other and not just us ... and I'll laugh ... and laugh ... and laugh ...
As you know...I'm a Pantheist...so, I accept and tolerate all Theolgical Beliefs/Faith.
I tell of my perception of God...and how that manifests.
I also believe that anyone & everyone should be able to express their Beliefs/Faith/Views without criticism and/or conflict.
Each put forth their Beliefs/Faith/Views...even that one may believe they are the true and exclusive way it should be, to the exclusion of all else.
Those with differing views can put forth how they perceive things, even how that may differ from the other...but the criticism, insult, and mocking of those other Beliefs is not cool...nor is interrogating others about how they justify or "prove" why they feel their Beliefs have validity and merit.
This is the opposite of telling anyone to "sit down & shut up". In fact, it is encouraging everyone to present their position...even comparatively. But do not be busting on the views that do not align or those that hold them...that is certainly a negative vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 04:09 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Every time I come here... and I do mean EVERY ... SINGLE ... TIME ... I'm not being hyperbolic in the least. Every time I come here, all I ever do is defend our "right" to be here. Any posts I write about religion or spirituality gets hand-waved away with some snide-ass little comment. There are no refutations. No rebutals. No discussions.

I honestly cannot even remember the last time anyone has even bothered addressing the things I actually say in my posts.
Sadly, a quite accurate description of what goes on here, Shirina.

And as to everything you mentioned going on in the world outside this forum -- I think the Christian fundamentalists are likely to have many of their fondest dreams fulfilled in the coming couple of years, although I think even for many of them those dreams will quickly become nightmares. They (the rank and file pew warmers at least) know not what they are unleashing.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:02 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
As you know...I'm a Pantheist...so, I accept and tolerate all Theolgical Beliefs/Faith.
I tell of my perception of God...and how that manifests.
I also believe that anyone & everyone should be able to express their Beliefs/Faith/Views without criticism and/or conflict.
Each put forth their Beliefs/Faith/Views...even that one may believe they are the true and exclusive way it should be, to the exclusion of all else.
Those with differing views can put forth how they perceive things, even how that may differ from the other...but the criticism, insult, and mocking of those other Beliefs is not cool...nor is interrogating others about how they justify or "prove" why they feel their Beliefs have validity and merit.
This is the opposite of telling anyone to "sit down & shut up". In fact, it is encouraging everyone to present their position...even comparatively. But do not be busting on the views that do not align or those that hold them...that is certainly a negative vibe.
I really don't have an issue with your beliefs, GldnRule. I don't know if you know that or not ... but I really don't.

The only belief system I really poke at are the ones who are told by some ancient book to put their God and its wishes above everything and everyone else.

Those religions and those religious paradigms are toxic. I always thought it astounding that people in America still think that the Constitution and our various legal and civic principles were founded on the Bible and Judao-Christian values.

It's so ... incredibly ... dumb. For one thing, most of our values and protocols are Greco-Roman in nature, not Judao-Christian.

More importantly, almost every single right we have in the Constitution runs directly contrary to God and the Bible. Freedom of religion? Really? And the Bible demands, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me!" Yeah, that sounds like religious freedom to me!

The Bible and God/Yahweh is all about authoritarianism and various forms of fascism - who in the Bible ever got a chance to vote. On ANYTHING? I think we both know the answer to that.

I could go on through the entire Bill of Rights.

I don't care if people want to believe in a god. I only care when that god begins to affect the world I live in though fascistic policies - like the repeal of Roe v. Wade. And like I said, that's just the beginning. I shudder to think now, with a stacked Supreme Court which is obviously friendly to ultra right-wing religion and will be for the next 40 years, what freedoms we will lose.

No, I won't get into politics since that's now forbidden (see what I mean about freedom?). But I will say that i'm a flaming liberal progressive. I don't hide from those labels. I wear them with pride. I decided upon that path because the left-wing in this country is all about giving us choices, widening our options, allowing us the freedom to make our own decisions and suffer the consequences or reap the rewards of those decisions.

The right-wing is diametrically opposed to those freedoms. They want to eliminate your choices, take away your freedoms, and in so doing, they are forcing you to conform to their lifestyle - including their religious beliefs. Is it any wonder, then, why the religious-right is following Trump and the GOP regardless of the flagrant displays of immorality exhibited by that man and the GOP as a whole? Where even the lives of little children are less important than the right of an 18 year-old to buy an assault rifle? And this is the type of ideology many, many believers in America have decided to adhere to.

But you're not one of them GldnRle. We may not agree on everything, granted, but honestly, who does? Otherwise, we'd be clones of each other. And you probably don't want to be a clone of me!

Old 07-09-2022, 05:17 PM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times
What surfaces in many rants is the shocking desperation to sow dissension among the religions and the people. Hinduism, the 3rd largest religion, does not have a forum here. Which is fine with this Hindu, which is a word that does not actually exist in any texts of Hinduism. It is known as Santana Dharma. I prefer to post here in the common forum for the discussion of Religion and Spirituality, about Vedanta and my spiritual pursuit. I also like to come here to understand and appreciate other’s spiritual pursuit, thoughts, discussions of religious texts. There have been many wonderful, fruitful, conversations until it gets derailed by atheist eruptions . Many who have contributed great thoughts and discussions have left in disgust. It is a great loss. Mission accomplished, i guess.
I have come to see Atheism as a religion as it fulfills all requirements of religion. Religion is not another name for Christianity and there is no requirement it should be modeled on Christianity, although many atheists insist it should be. Buddhism for instance is not Christianity but fulfills the characteristics of a religion. Hinduism, although is called Religion, has no meaning for religion in the languages of Hinduism. It is called Dharma, the order of things.
I have been repeatedly told by atheists here how much Christians hate me. Moderator cut: Inappropriate remark removed. , all kinds of hate directed in all direction. It must be such a crushing disappointment when this hatred does not manifest.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-10-2022 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Totally imappropriate remark removed. How could anybody think that was OK in thi8s forum?

Old 07-09-2022, 05:20 PM

One thing that keeps atheists up at night and in terror, is when the common threads that unite religions is drawn. That makes them go on overdrive and that is when how much Hindus are hated comes frothing.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:24 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
One thing that keeps atheists up at night and in terror, is when the common threads that unite religions is drawn. That makes them go on overdrive and that is when how much Hindus are hated comes frothing.
If I stayed up all night I would be doing the terrorizing. My husband sleeps with one eye open.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8gr8apost8 View Post
if i stayed up all night i would be doing the terrorizing. My husband sleeps with one eye open.
lol :-)

Old 07-09-2022, 06:09 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is an attempt to evade the language filters. same as below
Then I think that's inappropriate, as well. But I still think the other phrase was wholly inappropriate.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:55 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
What surfaces in many rants is the shocking desperation to sow dissension among the religions and the people. Hinduism, the 3rd largest religion, does not have a forum here. Which is fine with this Hindu, which is a word that does not actually exist in any texts of Hinduism. It is known as Santana Dharma. I prefer to post here in the common forum for the discussion of Religion and Spirituality, about Vedanta and my spiritual pursuit. I also like to come here to understand and appreciate other’s spiritual pursuit, thoughts, discussions of religious texts. There have been many wonderful, fruitful, conversations until it gets derailed by atheist eruptions . Many who have contributed great thoughts and discussions have left in disgust. It is a great loss. Mission accomplished, i guess.
I have come to see Atheism as a religion as it fulfills all requirements of religion. Religion is not another name for Christianity and there is no requirement it should be modeled on Christianity, although many atheists insist it should be. Buddhism for instance is not Christianity but fulfills the characteristics of a religion. Hinduism, although is called Religion, has no meaning for religion in the languages of Hinduism. It is called Dharma, the order of things.
I have been repeatedly told by atheists here how much Christians hate me. Moderator cut: Inappropriate remark removed. , all kinds of hate directed in all direction. It must be such a crushing disappointment when this hatred does not manifest.
Have you asked for a Hinduism forum? Other forum members do not have the ability to create one. Directing your vitriol at other forum members because there is no forum specifically for Hinduism is not productive.

Quote:
Where do you do your research? I sleep just fine at night, thank you.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-10-2022 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:11 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Where do you do your research? I sleep just fine at night, thank you.
Yes I am turning in for a very peaceful night's sleep myself. And chuckling at the hilarity of what people imagine goes on in between my ears or how much I froth at the mouth. I will admit only to a bit of indigestion from the infant I sacrificed and ate this evening ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality