Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 04:18 PM

16,173 posts, read 7,144,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think Hindus on this forum should leave Buddhism alone. Worry about Hinduism's gods instead of worrying about how a particular Buddhist interprets what he has learned. You are not the decider about Buddhism.
It is a she.
O'Brien, Barbara. "Atheism and Devotion in Buddhism." Learn Religions, Aug. 25, 2020, learnreligions.com/atheism-and-devotion-in-buddhism-449718.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 04:22 PM

16,173 posts, read 7,144,920 times
Quote:
How many more times are you going to attack me today?
I am talking about Buddhism, its reverence to Buddha and how Buddhists worship. It is very close to me heart and in like learning and talking about it.

Why does it feel like an attack to you? If that is so you just stop reading this thread and place me on ignore. Moderator cut: Rude personal remarks removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-06-2022 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: as noted

Old 07-06-2022, 08:47 PM

19,152 posts, read 27,784,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am talking about Buddhism, its reverence to Buddha and how Buddhists worship. It is very close to me heart and in like learning and talking about it.

Why does it feel like an attack to you? If that is so you just stop reading this thread and place me on ignore. Moderator cut: Rude personal remarks removed.

Actually, you are not talking about Buddhism. Buddha left NO written works to ground what you are talking about in. Neither did Jesus. What you talking about is his followers opinions on what he meant by his teaching. Ask any forensic expert, they WILL tell you that eyewitnesses always have the worst recollections about events, they witnessed.

More specifically, you are talking about thousands years later opinions of folks from different cultures, about opinions of folks from different cultures about their opinions about opinions on opinions and so on, all the way to Mahanama, Koudanna, Bhaddiya, Vappa and Asvajita's opinions on their perception of his teaching.

yawn...

Old 07-06-2022, 09:00 PM

51,133 posts, read 24,617,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Actually, you are not talking about Buddhism. Buddha left NO written works to ground what you are talking about in. Neither did Jesus. What you talking about is his followers opinions on what he meant by his teaching. Ask any forensic expert, they WILL tell you that eyewitnesses always have the worst recollections about events, they witnessed.

More specifically, you are talking about thousands years later opinions of folks from different cultures, about opinions of folks from different cultures about their opinions about opinions on opinions and so on, all the way to Mahanama, Koudanna, Bhaddiya, Vappa and Asvajita's opinions on their perception of his teaching.

yawn...
And in fact, I've always been taught that it was nearly 300 years before anything that Buddha supposedly said was written down.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:54 PM

16,860 posts, read 5,048,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No Harry. Once again way too many times now, we really do not!
You are confusing what we need to do and what we should do.

And I am called Harry because my Greek Mother living in England can not pronounce Hairy, so every time people here call me Harry, you are actually calling me Hairy.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:17 AM

29,576 posts, read 9,808,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
https://www.learnreligions.com/athei...uddhism-449718

Atheists should just leave Buddhism alone.
"Buddhism is not about either believing or not believing in God or gods. Rather, the historical Buddha taught that believing in gods was not useful for those seeking to realize enlightenment. In other words, God is unnecessary in Buddhism, as this is a practical religion and philosophy that emphasizes practical results over faith in beliefs or deities. For this reason, Buddhism is more accurately called nontheistic rather than atheistic.

The Buddha also plainly said that he was not a god, but was simply "awakened" to ultimate reality."

I don't know about leaving Buddhism "alone," but this atheist certainly appreciates this part of what you quoted. Rather than alone, I'd say revered. I've certainly come to appreciate Buddhism in this way, for these reasons, order of magnitude over any of the other religions.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You are confusing what we need to do and what we should do.

And I am called Harry because my Greek Mother living in England can not pronounce Hairy, so every time people here call me Harry, you are actually calling me Hairy.
I'm calling you by your moniker name...

When people refer to me as LearnMe, it's because that's my moniker in this forum. My Italian mother didn't name me LearnMe.

As for what we need or should do here in this forum, I'm not sure I'm confused about that either. Though I will readily agree I question why I'm here again just about every day.

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-07-2022 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-07-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I don't need to provide you with evidence that I'm a Buddhist.
No you certainly don't...

Why should you when most of the people childishly badgering you are the first to object to calls for evidence?

Also quite amusing to witness all this angst about beliefs like yours when the history of religion is littered with people who will make of religion what "works for them" rather than necessarily abiding by the most strict of fundamentalist doctrines. Hypocrisy just as bad as the reason and logic some of these people try to pass off as somehow intelligent or convincing when always instead it's about the same agenda to undermine any and all counter-opinion.

I sure hope you are not letting any of these people get under your skin.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:40 AM

51,133 posts, read 24,617,542 times
Quote:
No you certainly don't...

Why should you when most of the people childishly badgering you are the first to object to calls for evidence?

Also quite amusing to witness all this angst about beliefs like yours when the history of religion is littered with people who will make of religion what "works for them" rather than necessarily abiding by the most strict of fundamentalist doctrines. Hypocrisy just as bad as the reason and logic some of these people try to pass off as somehow intelligent or convincing when always instead it's about the same agenda to undermine any and all counter-opinion.

I sure hope you are not letting any of these people get under your skin.
They actually strengthen my resolve.

To me the lesson from this ongoing exchange is:

As a Buddhist I don't teach Hinduism. I don't expect a Hindu to presume to teach me Buddhism.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:09 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,680,348 times
Quote:
I'm calling you by your moniker name...

When people refer to me as LearnMe, it's because that's my moniker in this forum. My Italian mother didn't name me LearnMe.

As for what we need or should do here in this forum, I'm not sure I'm confused about that either. Though I will readily agree I question why I'm here again just about every day.
I know why you are here.
But I'm not allowed to mention it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality