Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 04:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Also.

Why are you being so enormously hypocritical and telling that god of yours to go screw himself along with his plans when you selfishly interfere with his idea of pain and suffering being a good thing by taking medications to minimize pain and suffering when you get sick according to the plans he's chosen for you?
Why not practice what you preach and suffer fully, just as your sadistic god wanted you to?
I already explained to you...I'm Pantheist (Reality=God/The Divine)...and I view the Theological Writings as metaphorical and allegorical works of literary art that present representative characters and stories to explain how God functions and is comprised. As best as they could thousands of years ago, of course.
So...I don't have to go by any of that.
It is YOU that interrogates, "Have not they read their Bible/Torah/Quran?"
So...you wanna go by those writings?...then go by them. And I'm noting what they say...and holding YOU to it.

SO, AGAIN...you go trying to "lean upon your own understanding" and trying to critique and pass judgment upon God with your inferior thoughts and ways.
So...DO NOT do that...like the Book says.
Got it now? You wanna go by the reading of those Books?...then go by it, and know your place relative to the Universe Creating, Omnimax Powered God Being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 06:39 PM

477 posts, read 125,002 times
Now you lost me completely.

By your own admission, all those holy books are just that - books. Metaphorical and allegorical literary attempt of the bronze age goat-herders to describe their way of life and the world around them to the best of their abilities and understanding.
Great! We are in agreement for a change.

But what the hell is the problem for anyone who wishes to do it, to pass the judgment of any kind on a moral message and social ideas in these books in general or, in particular, on a morally bankrupted sadistic psychopath who was chosen to be a main character of these fictional writings? Since when in a free society the open exchange of opinions about any book with any audience is considered insulting? Would it be insulting for the members of Harry Potter fan club if I'd express my very negative feelings to the story they love so much? Would they even care to care in any way about what I have to say?

So what is so special about this bronze age fable?
And why are you, you, who "do not have to go by any of that", are so worked up about it?
Is not it because the sheer stupidity of your own ideas are being ridiculed to an unbearable extend, so you just take any opportunity, no matter how irrational it may be, to get even in some way?

Yeah, I guess that's it. I think it is a good guess.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:39 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ask this atheist, and I think the term nonsense is just another way to point out there is a lack of justification to view the opinion or belief logical or factual. It's a term that tends to be a bit insulting and provoking, yes, and as such tends to draw attention from what might be considered nonsense and why. That billions of people have embraced opinions and beliefs that are not well justified is nothing new or any kind of proof those beliefs are fact-based. Just ask any atheist and chances are they will tell you the same thing...
when i see online someone use the word "nonsense" to describe a post or view, for me that means they are saying that they are not able to make sense of what they are reading. The person saying "nonsense" is saying that they are unable to understand what is being expressed or conveyed. Someone calling other views "nonsense" is demonstrating their own lack of ability to comprehend.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Now you lost me completely.By your own admission, all those holy books are just that - books. Metaphorical and allegorical literary attempt of the bronze age goat-herders to describe their way of life and the world around them to the best of their abilities and understanding.Great! We are in agreement for a change.But what the hell is the problem for anyone who wishes to do it, to pass the judgment of any kind on a moral message and social ideas in these books in general or, in particular, on a morally bankrupted sadistic psychopath who was chosen to be a main character of these fictional writings? Since when in a free society the open exchange of opinions about any book with any audience is considered insulting? Would it be insulting for the members of Harry Potter fan club if I'd express my very negative feelings to the story they love so much? Would they even care to care in any way about what I have to say?So what is so special about this bronze age fable?And why are you, you, who "do not have to go by any of that", are so worked up about it?Is not it because the sheer stupidity of your own ideas are being ridiculed to an unbearable extend, so you just take any opportunity, no matter how irrational it may be, to get even in some way?Yeah, I guess that's it. I think it is a good guess.
sacred texts and holy books are in the nonfiction section of the library.
while fables are fiction.

now you know. it is apparent from the post above, that previously you did not know this.
learning happens!

Old 08-23-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
when i see online someone use the word "nonsense" to describe a post or view, for me that means they are saying that they are not able to make sense of what they are reading. The person saying "nonsense" is saying that they are unable to understand what is being expressed or conveyed. Someone calling other views "nonsense" is demonstrating their own lack of ability to comprehend.

This may be true, unless word "nonsense" to describe a post or view is followed by an explanation/argument for why this word is used. And if you don't have a defeater for this argument then using the word "nonsense" is fully justified and reflects you inability to construct coherent, rational thought.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
sacred texts and holy books are in the nonfiction section of the library.
fables are fiction.

That's is interesting claim.
Do you have argument to support it?

Old 08-23-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
That's is interesting claim.
Do you have argument to support it?
go to a library and see.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
go to a library and see.
So the religious text are non fiction because they are true, or because the way they are placed in libraries?

Old 08-23-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
So the religious text are non fiction because they are true, or because the way they are placed in libraries?
i decline to engage in dialogue or conversation with those who speak in this way.

Quote:
Also.Why are you being so enormously hypocritical and telling that god of yours to go screw himself along with his plans when you selfishly interfere with his idea of pain and suffering being a good thing by taking medications to minimize pain and suffering when you get sick according to the plans he's chosen for you?Why not practice what you preach and suffer fully, just as your sadistic god wanted you to?

Old 08-23-2022, 07:36 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Now you lost me completely.

By your own admission, all those holy books are just that - books. Metaphorical and allegorical literary attempt of the bronze age goat-herders to describe their way of life and the world around them to the best of their abilities and understanding.
Great! We are in agreement for a change.

But what the hell is the problem for anyone who wishes to do it, to pass the judgment of any kind on a moral message and social ideas in these books in general or, in particular, on a morally bankrupted sadistic psychopath who was chosen to be a main character of these fictional writings? Since when in a free society the open exchange of opinions about any book with any audience is considered insulting? Would it be insulting for the members of Harry Potter fan club if I'd express my very negative feelings to the story they love so much? Would they even care to care in any way about what I have to say?

So what is so special about this bronze age fable?
And why are you, you, who "do not have to go by any of that", are so worked up about it?
Is not it because the sheer stupidity of your own ideas are being ridiculed to an unbearable extend, so you just take any opportunity, no matter how irrational it may be, to get even in some way?

Yeah, I guess that's it. I think it is a good guess.
First...I'm Theist. I can perceive God...like 4+ out of 5 in this world...and growing.
That's not ridiculed or seen as "sheer stupidity" (more nasty, hateful, insults by you)...it's actually been at such a saturation point for thousands of years it can be considered a Standard of Human Understanding.
It is YOUR ideas that are looked at as bottom-of-the-barrel.
In fact...Atheists are viewed at the same level as rapists:
https://archive.sltrib.com/article.p...74&itype=CMSID
It is evident that you don't even know how the world actually is. Those "bronze age goat-herders" have been whooping-up on anything you have to put up against them for thousands of years!

YOU are the one interrogating, "Have not they read their Bible/Torah/Quran?".
You note all the things it says about Gods' attributes, what he does and doesn't do, and what he does and doesn't think.
So...since you are the one ordering a reading of those books and going by what they say...then go by what it says.
And it says that your thoughts and ways are so inferior to Gods' that you are not even supposed to assess it or go by anything you think about it. And it also says that any suffering or evil that you may not be able to aviod or alleviate is okay.

Look...either you demand that the Books are read, and go by them...and you are constrained by what they say.
OR
You admit the Books are metaphorical and allegorical and it would be completely illogical to get all tweaked-out over the thoughts and deeds of non-existent Beings, since metaphorical characters do not actually think or do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality