Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2022, 09:25 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I understand that.

Thrillobyte is saying that he knows more than the expert historians on the existence of Jesus. The historians are vouching for Jesus as having existed, not necessarily that he was divine. Thrillobyte was claiming that Jesus did not exist.

I do believe that Jesus existed and I do believe that he was divine from my own personal relationship with him.

I think Thrillobyte is wrong about that. I think there was a man named Jesus who may have been a teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 09:40 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
LOL You're not going to lure me into your web of nonsense. I know you need to keep trying - have to, must keep trying - because that's your obsession. You can't stop, and it pushes you along the periphery of the cliff. I own you nothing, and nothing will you receive. But keep trying though, because it's fun. And make sure to continue the boldfaced words.

And let's see.... I've been on the forum years less than you, with about half the number of your posts, and yet I have more than double the reputation of you. Yep, that's a sweet reality to be savored. Cheers, as I pour a nice tasty drink in celebration.
I see, so you're here just for the bright shiny reputations stars? That's pretty sad that you resorted to playground nonsense, like "I have more rep pts, see how popular I am?" WOW. I just cannot believe you said that.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Doesn't even dignify an answer, thrill.

The atheists who converted to Christianity didn't do so "sight unseen." They researched. Talked to others. Researched some more.

There's plenty of evidence for Christianity. But unless you're actually willing to open your mind and look at it,
you won't see it.
Nah, most converts from atheism to Christianity don't do research. Otherwise, they wouldn't be Christians.

What atheists do you know that have become Christians? The only one I know of that converted to something religious after being an atheist is right here on this board. I don't consider them a Christian though. He bases his belief on a personal experience with what he believes to have been god. That's not evidence, that's woo. Check into mysticism if you haven't already. Seems rather uh, delusional to assume a cold chill is god.

Thrill is like me, a former Christian. He's already opened his mind. It happened when he became an atheist.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:22 PM

3,649 posts, read 1,604,549 times
All those Christians turning away from Jesus and the church... Yet I just checked a CHRISTIAN song on youtube from Hillsong: 454 million views. ONE Christian song. That praises Jesus.

If I added up all the views of all Christian songs it would be billions of views. Doesn't seem Christians are abandoning Christianity by this metric. Just the opposite the past 2 decades as contemporary Christian music exploded in popularity, with Christian music radio, and even replacing traditional hymns in many churches. That's what you call 'by popular demand'.

The Christian church changes through the decades. Some are closing many worship places. However, others are expanding. It's just change. Doesn't prove or disprove anything about the Bible.

Is Jesus of the Bible fictional? Jesus has been the most difficult to prove. But a lot of people and places in the Bible are real, for a fact. King Herod (born 73 BCE southern Palestine. —died March/April, 4 BCE, Jericho, Judaea) was real for a fact. The palaces, fortresses and cities he built have been identified by archaeologists. He rebuilt the Temple of Jerusalem (parts still standing today).

If the authors of the Bible made up Jesus just to form a religion, those writers were literary geniuses, writing some of the most profound stories and passages of beauty and inspiration in all human literature. And integrating a 'fake' character into real places with astonishing literary skill, that can fool the masses into worship.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
What's with all the atheist threads in this section lately? (Note: This isn't an attack. Just something I noticed.)
There has only been 2 recently. Not that you are implying this, but this is the main forum for many sub-forums and anyone can post anywhere on the entire CD board wherever they want. I'm just saying.....it's not an invasion. It's allowed. And it makes for good conversation (sometimes).

Old 09-02-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Dude, it's just not worth it. Maybe it's a big deal to you, but it isn't for others. I'm not going to waste time like you did.

In a hundred years, you will be gone and no one will remember you and your points. Same goes for me. But the centuries of spiritual and religious thought - worldwide, across vast cultures - will remain, be remembered, and will go forth. That's the legacy which you can't replace or erase, and which keeps you up at night in frustration. Stick a fork in yourself, and let out some of that hot air. You're only making yourself look foolish.

Maybe you can provide us with details and specs of the soapbox you carry around. How tall is it? Is it made of plastic or cardboard? Do you cry when it gets misplaced?
And I thought I was weird.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
There's no such thing as karma.
Better not tell that to the Buddhists.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Few reasons (not an attack, just a surmise)
For the intellectual conversation that is lacking in A&A?
Fear of vanishing into meaningless blur if no noise is made?
Do the most noise even if only for negative attention?
An opportunity to take out all frustration on somebody, anybody?
Feel free to add to the list.
#1 - absolutely....what's wrong with that? That's a compliment to all religious people.
#2 - Really?
#3 - This is why we butt heads, it's comments like this and #4.

You're doing it again, Cb. Putting "not an attack, just a surmise" in parentheses at the beginning of your post is just a disclaimer and a warning that here it comes, insults and untruths.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:58 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think Thrillobyte is wrong about that. I think there was a man named Jesus who may have been a teacher.
I also think it is likely that a man called Jesus existed or maybe several prophets stories got rolled into one over time and were embellished. Christianity just became too big for it all to have been invented purely out of thin air.

It's not surprising there is no actual physical evidence he existed. What would we expect to find? He lived and died a peasant so no home or wealth to speak of.
There are numerous relics including his supposed foreskin LOL. All fake if course. Why would anyone expect anything like that to have survived for 2000 years?

Old 09-02-2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Skeptics say: SHOW me; THEN I'll believe!
God says: BELIEVE; THEN I'll show you.

Can't really get much simpler than that.
LOL this is too funny. I did believe, and that is exactly why I don't anymore. Atheism does not have different sects, denominations, groups, cults etc. It's just non-belief, there aren't different levels of that. You're either atheist, agnostic or agnostic atheist. Oh and gnostic atheist. But that's rare.

To some religious people, atheism is the devil's work and we're all doomed. I swear to you that someone said that in another thread. You are not taking many things under consideration when you make claims like this.

Ha religion is so simple, is it? An atheist doesn't have thousands of different type of beliefs, you know like because it's NON-BELIEF. Now THAT'S simple. There are other people in this thread who are Buddhist or any number of different religions so this is kind of a waste of my time. This is so flawed it didn't even deserve this response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality