Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 04:05 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
LOL .

That is not how it seems to me at all. I don't visit the religious forums much and I have also mostly stopped perusing the Atheist forum. But just seeing the vitriol from atheists and their determined opposition and to anything that even faintly suggests spirituality and belief on this R&S general forum is quite disturbing.
The vitriol is returning the favor. As for determined opposition, it is not our fault your (plural) arguments are bad.

I find the amount of non-spiritual spirituality quiet disturbing.

Quote:
There really is no reason for them to stray outside the atheist forum and discuss atheism, and yet here they are everyday arguing endlessly about belief.
Of course there is. Atheism is a response to religious claims. What do you want us to argue about, cabbages?

Quote:
They strongly believe there are readers out there who may be helped by this discourse and can be helped by disabusing them of belief.
Just as you believe the same for the religious and spiritual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 11:13 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The vitriol is returning the favor. As for determined opposition, it is not our fault your (plural) arguments are bad.

I find the amount of non-spiritual spirituality quiet disturbing.

Of course there is. Atheism is a response to religious claims. What do you want us to argue about, cabbages?

Just as you believe the same for the religious and spiritual.
In the name of this atheist's health, time for me to sign off now, but as I do I wonder whether atheism is a response to religious claims. I am an atheist, because I've not been able to recognize any evidence a god exists, regardless of religious claims. In other words, regardless of religious claims, I'd still be an atheist. Perhaps yet another case of semantics, but let me think if I can come up with another example to better explain, and/or to consider this question a bit further.

Maybe tomorrow...

Old 10-27-2022, 12:00 PM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
In the name of this atheist's health, time for me to sign off now, but as I do I wonder whether atheism is a response to religious claims. I am an atheist, because I've not been able to recognize any evidence a god exists, regardless of religious claims.
Except the claim gods exist is a religious claim.

Quote:
In other words, regardless of religious claims, I'd still be an atheist.
True, but you would not be aware of it, just as you are not aware of being an a_circle_with_corners_ist, until someone claims circles have corners. You are a*, where * is the many, many, many things you do not believe in.

Quote:
Perhaps yet another case of semantics, but let me think if I can come up with another example to better explain, and/or to consider this question a bit further.

Maybe tomorrow...
Maybe, but the taxman is apparently desperate for my money, so maybe not.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:22 AM

412 posts, read 138,050 times
Quote:
LOL .

That is not how it seems to me at all. I don't visit the religious forums much and I have also mostly stopped perusing the Atheist forum. But just seeing the vitriol from atheists and their determined opposition and to anything that even faintly suggests spirituality and belief on this R&S general forum is quite disturbing. There really is no reason for them to stray outside the atheist forum and discuss atheism, and yet here they are everyday arguing endlessly about belief. They strongly believe there are readers out there who may be helped by this discourse and can be helped by disabusing them of belief.

We must not be reading the same posts obviously.

In any case why do they care so much about what people think of them? Is it possible to climb into other people's heads and know what they think and then keep them from thinking that? That itself seems a negative psychological functioning not conducive to well-being.

I want to add I am not dictating what and where atheists should post, they have every right to post whatever and wherever this site allows them to do so. Of course.
I think it's a ploy or an extension of the superego to claim the average person is somehow concerned with another's thoughts. Yes, people are concerned when someone's thoughts are harmful, but that's about it.

The problem is that some people believe your acceptance of your belief system is a rejection of their belief. For example, someone's school of thought may state you are a genetically inferior person and that you may not willingly accept your inferior status due to religious beliefs.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:23 AM

1,755 posts, read 756,366 times
I am very religious and very physically healthy.

I eat extremely well, and have went on multiple times with only raw vegetables and fruits for a week straight. I exercise with aerobics, calisthenics, and jogging. I use to play soccer. I take my boys in a stroller down the bike path all the time and I have a peloton. I stay very fit and trim.

Mental health I suffer from anxiety issues, but I do okay at managing it mostly.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:48 AM

15,974 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I am very religious and very physically healthy.

I eat extremely well, and have went on multiple times with only raw vegetables and fruits for a week straight. I exercise with aerobics, calisthenics, and jogging. I use to play soccer. I take my boys in a stroller down the bike path all the time and I have a peloton. I stay very fit and trim.

Mental health I suffer from anxiety issues, but I do okay at managing it mostly.
Anxiety is the normal human state
I would say managing anxiety is the purpose of life.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:51 AM

15,974 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I think it's a ploy or an extension of the superego to claim the average person is somehow concerned with another's thoughts. Yes, people are concerned when someone's thoughts are harmful, but that's about it.

The problem is that some people believe your acceptance of your belief system is a rejection of their belief. For example, someone's school of thought may state you are a genetically inferior person and that you may not willingly accept your inferior status due to religious beliefs.
Ok then. That is totally screwed up thinking, and is deeply harmful to the health of society.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:13 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Anxiety is the normal human state
I would say managing anxiety is the purpose of life.
It sounds like QuakerBaker has clinical anxiety, which is not the normal human state and requires additional levels of intervention (and QB: I say that to be supportive, not critical; I’ve gone through the same thing).

Old 10-28-2022, 07:19 AM

412 posts, read 138,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It sounds like QuakerBaker has clinical anxiety, which is not the normal human state and requires additional levels of intervention (and QB: I say that to be supportive, not critical; I’ve gone through the same thing).
Anxiety Screening: What It Is and Why It's Now Being Recommended for Adults
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ded-for-adults

Old 10-28-2022, 08:14 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except the claim gods exist is a religious claim.

True, but you would not be aware of it, just as you are not aware of being an a_circle_with_corners_ist, until someone claims circles have corners. You are a*, where * is the many, many, many things you do not believe in.

Maybe, but the taxman is apparently desperate for my money, so maybe not.
Hmmm...

Why would I not be aware there is no evidence a god exists without religion? Say for example there was no religion and someone came up to me and suggested there was a god. Why would I not be an atheist in that case just like now?

If I believe the earth to be round, does this make me a non-flat-earther? If I know the difference between a circle and a square, does this mean other than I know the difference between a circle and a square? If I expect life to go on into the future or for as long as I live, does this make me a non-believer in the apocolypse?

Perhaps yes from one point of view. Especially from the point of view of a flat-earther, or someone who doesn't know geometry or believes in the apocolypse, but simple observations and recognitions such as these don't always necessarily mean we are anything other than aware of these simple observations and recognitions. Or that we are defined by those who are not similarly aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality