Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 11:18 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except we know music exists. The problem is we do not know your mystical mountain exists.
Reality versus woo, with the caveat that just because something is woo does not mean that it doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 11:47 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Music is in part based on a system that includes tonal scales and intervals/tunings and the patterns with which they are used. Modern classical music of the serialist school for example is based on an entirely different system from the rest of Western music that requires the same pattern to be repeated mathematically. It is grating and incoherent to me but my stepson loves it because he is attracted to its precision and structure, has taken the time to study how it works, and appreciates it on that level. He's also relatively young and it pleases him to be clued in about something that his mother and I are not.

In other words it all comes back to beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Yoko Ono's screaming was beautiful to her, apparently. But she was almost entirely alone in that view, and it certainly wasn't commercially viable. Serialism at least has a following, if only a small one. Albums are published. Dissertations are written. Careers are supported (though I doubt a musician not proficient first in standard repertoire will get very far professionally).

The parallel of all this with religion is that some religious people are doing the equivalent of saying that everyone must embrace "normal music" -- und ENJOY it! -- or else they are the Hated Other to whatever degree they can get away with that. Serialism is not just another genre, it is the undoing of western civilization and the motivations behind it are evil and an existential threat to Normal Music. Also, if wars had been fought and gulags built over whether Mozart or Beethoven would be played, they would deny that Normal Music is anything but a wonderful unified soaring testament to the best of everything in humanity. Music does not cause Beethoven enthusiasts to be tortured or beaten; that is on individuals and cannot possibly have anything to do with what is taught, promoted or encouraged by lovers of Mozart in the name of Mozart.
Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
As a great lover of music and keyboard player myself, I very much appreciate your explanation and clarification here. Of course. I am also a big fan of Bob Dylan, my wife doesn't consider his signing music at all. Believe me, I get it...

Thanks for a nice way to corral all this music analogy into what seems a rather fair and acute summation as it all relates to religion. The parallel as you put it. Very nicely done. My compliments.

Sincerely,

LM
Nice to be able to agree with you, LM!

Old 11-10-2022, 12:15 PM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Much you explain here is exactly why the use of music as an analogy to discuss or explain religion is about as productive as using a candle in the wind to find your way out of the dark.
Clever phrasing but does not indicate any learning at all. Let it go.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:47 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I sure wish my comments like this one of yours could indicate the great amount of learning you seem to have gained while I've only learned clever phrasing. Hey, but we can't all learn, be aware or know as much as people like you seem able. I for one am a mere mortal after all, bound by the confines of reality while people like you seem able to float somewhere out there well beyond my limitations. The air at those sorts of elevations must be quite rarefied indeed.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:15 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Standard arrogant dismissal, but does not indicate any learning at all. Let it go.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I sure wish my comments like this one of yours could indicate the great amount of learning you seem to have gained while I've only learned clever phrasing. Hey, but we can't all learn, be aware or know as much as people like you seem able. I for one am a mere mortal after all, bound by the confines of reality while people like you seem able to float somewhere out there well beyond my limitations. The air at those sorts of elevations must be quite rarefied indeed.
Opportunity to learn exists for everyone. What we choose to learn and where our energies lead us is shaped by our needs and wants. If all one wants to do is cull the Wikipedia, or find nifty quotes from shady sources, well that is one kind of learning. Better than nothing. To think studying Religion is somehow easy, all one needs to do is observe one’s own limited world and make grand statements about truth and lies, well there you are. It is a choice guided by one’s capabilities and interest.
Learning requires commitment and work and deriving pleasure from it. Finding tools to attack religion requires only to know how to use the internet.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Opportunity to learn exists for everyone. What we choose to learn and where our energies lead us is shaped by our needs and wants. If all one wants to do is cull the Wikipedia, or find nifty quotes from shady sources, well that is one kind of learning. Better than nothing. To think studying Religion is somehow easy, all one needs to do is observe one’s own limited world and make grand statements about truth and lies, well there you are. It is a choice guided by one’s capabilities and interest.
Learning requires commitment and work and deriving pleasure from it. Finding tools to attack religion requires only to know how to use the internet.
And, unfortunately, there is a desire for religious 'woo', leading to all sorts of falling for various forms of religion and spiritualism.

And yes, 'there you are' (using the royal 'you' in this case) making biased choices about what to study and how to study it, thus reinforcing your (using the royal 'your') limited world and thinking your grand statements are the right ways to interpret spiritualism and religion. Finding tools to attack atheists requires only to know how to use the internet.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And, unfortunately, there is a desire for religious 'woo', leading to all sorts of falling for various forms of religion and spiritualism.

And yes, 'there you are' (using the royal 'you' in this case) making biased choices about what to study and how to study it, thus reinforcing your (using the royal 'your') limited world and thinking your grand statements are the right ways to interpret spiritualism and religion. Finding tools to attack atheists requires only to know how to use the internet.
Reads like school yard bickering to me. Are you bickering by parroting my words?

Old 11-13-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Reads like school yard bickering to me. Are you bickering by parroting my words?
I'm holding up a mirror while also making a general statement about why people are attracted to religion.

A religious person becomes ill. He likes having a god to pray to to deliver him from his illness. Now, without me making a hundred other such statements, it's comforting to pray to a higher power when there is nothing we can do about a situation, or even when a situation is a challenge to us.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:18 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Hi, I am Harry. I use science, logic, history and mathematics to 'attack' religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality