Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2023, 12:00 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It makes more sense to speak in terms what is eternal and unchanging and what is not. Real and unreal merely obfuscates what exists.
Sorry but my intellect will not accommodate both eternal AND unchanging. Eternal is no problem but the unchanging is patently absurd to me since it can in no way be reconciled with ANYTHING I know, think, or experience about Reality. YYMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 12:06 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I don't understand what either of you is thinking...

Dreams are real. Our thoughts are real. Our emotions are real. Music is real. Both of you seem to be confusing what is real with what you can put in a bottle. All that is real doesn't necessarily have the same properties is all.

As for dreams, I'm not sure I want to know what they mean or what causes them, because I tend to dream quite a bit and many of them can be a little disturbing. Others quite delightful, but their cause or meaning is almost always hard to figure. Those that I can remember anyway. Most of them I can't, and probably better that way...
Trust me (or not), LearnMe, I know where you are coming from and the pragmatism that drives it. BTDT!

Old 02-13-2023, 02:27 PM

15,958 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sorry but my intellect will not accommodate both eternal AND unchanging. Eternal is no problem but the unchanging is patently absurd to me since it can in no way be reconciled with ANYTHING I know, think, or experience about Reality. YYMV.

What changes is subject to time. What is eternal transcends time. I don't know how you can accept eternal but changing.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:31 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
The emotive system is the complete limbic system (often referred to as the reptilian brain) as opposed to the cerebrum. I am very sympathetic with you and CB, but I simply reject the reasoning for your BASE assumption about the unchanging Oneness, the impermanence of our individuality, and the illusory nature of physical reality.
however no, i am not saying that.
my individuality is permanent.
always was, always will be.

the same can not be said for the physical body, the same can not be said for anything physical including all the physical worlds. the physical body is not permanent, and neither is anything in physical reality. it comes and goes. it has a beginning and an end. God does not. and neither do I. always was and always will be.
same for me.

what you think people are saying, is not what they are saying.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Sadly, I do understand what they are saying, but I have thoroughly analyzed the reasoning for it and in the words of "A Knight's Tale," it has been "weighed, measured, and found wanting."
but when you restate what you think we are saying, it is NOT what we are saying.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It makes more sense to speak in terms what is eternal and unchanging and what is not. Real and unreal merely obfuscates what exists.
i agree.

good point.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
so then you are tied and bound to and limited by a purely physical model, and a purely biological model.
that explains a lot.

that is a barrier identified.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:41 PM

what i mean is this: physical reality changes. all of it. it has a beginning and an end. it is not permanent. it is not eternal.
so when you say you can not accept that anything at all is unchanging, then that is why i say that you are bound to, wed to, and limited to a purely physical model, and are not able to think outside of that limiting construct.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
What changes is subject to time. What is eternal transcends time. I don't know how you can accept eternal but changing.
yes. bingo.
transcends time. is outside of time.

yes. another excellent point.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:45 PM

this is a really really good discussion.
thank you mystic and cb, and others who are contributing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality