Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 08:36 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Ok, I see that and I am happy to clarify further. Some of us in the forum find the term woo for spirituality to be insulting and diminishing. They are conditioned to view spirituality as a result of careful study, mindful practice, and a path of self inquiry, not just an experience although that may be a part of it. There are other who actually find woo a positive term due to their personal transcendent experience. Yet there are others, mostly atheists, who use the term woo pejoratively about anything that is not within their own experience or knowledge and use it dismissively because they are conditioned to see that through their atheist sensibility. Each of our response to the term is conditioned.
Except it is in our knowledge, we know there are many woo claims, many false religious claims, and you are conditioned to ignore that. What you call conditioned could be just seeing what you want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 09:02 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Ah, yes. Conditioning can cause words to have different connotations. Good post.
My love for woo came from believers that despised it. They called Yoga and meditation Satanic. They called other brands of Christianity "false worship". Pagans directly worshipped the devil. Go to the Christianity forum and listen to them talk about anything "New Age". They turned up their noses at anything that didn't fit their narrow definition of reality.

There were all these places in my mind guarded by demons I must never go. They indoctrinated me with phobias to try and block off anywhere I might need to go to escape their trap. The thing is fear and excitement are very similar body sensations. I can tell my body that the feeling of fear is curiosity and that electrifies me. Enough practice doing that and it's automatic. As an atheist I now had free reign to go where I please, pursue the most outrageous of hypotheses, and then take whatever rang true and leave what didn't.

WoooWoooWooo

Old 02-10-2023, 09:48 AM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Ok, I see that and I am happy to clarify further. Some of us in the forum find the term woo for spirituality to be insulting and diminishing. They are conditioned to view spirituality as a result of careful study, mindful practice, and a path of self inquiry, not just an experience although that may be a part of it. There are other who actually find woo a positive term due to their personal transcendent experience. Yet there are others, mostly atheists, who use the term woo pejoratively about anything that is not within their own experience or knowledge and use it dismissively because they are conditioned to see that through their atheist sensibility. Each of our response to the term is conditioned.

Being conditioned to view things a certain way is neither positive nor negative. Conditioning factor could be due to anything - culture, religion, education, training, bias, age etc etc. It is not external, it is internal. It can be removed through awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
great explanation and summary, excellent insights

Old 02-10-2023, 10:41 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:

Being conditioned to view things a certain way is neither positive nor negative. Conditioning factor could be due to anything - culture, religion, education, training, bias, age etc etc. It is not external, it is internal. It can be removed through awareness.
I often comment about the problem of confirmation bias. Started a thread about what a problem it is too...

It's interesting to consider your comments about being conditioned along side the dynamic of CB, and how we are to evaluate when CB and/or conditioning is a good thing or a bad thing. I don't see it as "neither positive nor negative," because more often than not I see a good deal of one or the other.

All very interesting to consider by way "of careful study, mindful practice and a path to self inquiry."

Old 02-10-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Apparently you DO get me, LearnMe. Good to know!
I like to think I get most of the people I follow in this forum...

I try anyway, and as such I always "just call 'em the way I see 'em." Whether I generally agree or disagree with their overall perspectives, opinions and beliefs or not. In the same way, the defense I have offered on your behalf regarding some of these more recent criticisms directed toward you seem quite appropriate and well justified far as I'm concerned.

Whether anyone agrees with anyone else in this forum, it's okay to give credit where due sometimes...

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-10-2023 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-10-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
My love for woo came from believers that despised it. They called Yoga and meditation Satanic. They called other brands of Christianity "false worship". Pagans directly worshipped the devil. Go to the Christianity forum and listen to them talk about anything "New Age". They turned up their noses at anything that didn't fit their narrow definition of reality.

There were all these places in my mind guarded by demons I must never go. They indoctrinated me with phobias to try and block off anywhere I might need to go to escape their trap. The thing is fear and excitement are very similar body sensations. I can tell my body that the feeling of fear is curiosity and that electrifies me. Enough practice doing that and it's automatic. As an atheist I now had free reign to go where I please, pursue the most outrageous of hypotheses, and then take whatever rang true and leave what didn't.

WoooWoooWooo
I don't go to the Christianity forum, because the level of woo there tends to be more than just a bit too much for me. Something like how I enjoy alcohol but only to a point. Too much, and the ability to think clearly begins to get more than a bit questionable...

Old 02-10-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except it is in our knowledge, we know there are many woo claims, many false religious claims, and you are conditioned to ignore that. What you call conditioned could be just seeing what you want to see.
AKA confirmation bias. Yes.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:47 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I often comment about the problem of confirmation bias. Started a thread about what a problem it is too...

It's interesting to consider your comments about being conditioned along side the dynamic of CB, and how we are to evaluate when CB and/or conditioning is a good thing or a bad thing. I don't see it as "neither positive nor negative," because more often than not I see a good deal of one or the other.

All very interesting to consider by way "of careful study, mindful practice and a path to self inquiry."
Quote:
Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.
It is a deliberate action to search and find find confirmation of one”s bias. That is NOT what I am talking about. You may see it that way because you are conditioned to believe in confirmation bias. As you just did.
I think i have explained conditional belief well enough for those who have understood it. They two seem similar to you but they are not the same.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:22 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

WoooWoooWooo
In general, I don't like words that don't have a syllable in the middle or end so I don't use "woo". LOL.

It sounds like you were surrounded by extremists. The Christians I grew up with were very opinionated but made it a point to avoid very strong emotions like hate and despising.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:19 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
It is a deliberate action to search and find find confirmation of one”s bias. That is NOT what I am talking about. You may see it that way because you are conditioned to believe in confirmation bias. As you just did.
It is not that we are conditioned to believe in confirmation bias, it is that we know it exists, and that it must be taken in to consideration.

Quote:
I think i have explained conditional belief well enough for those who have understood it. They two seem similar to you but they are not the same.
And we have explained your error well enough for those who have understood it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality