Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 08:03 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Geez, you old guys!

I won't be 65 until next August!
You kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 11:01 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Attempting to liken the flames of a fire to what is happening in the brain is problematical in too many ways and proves absolutely nothing. What we can't measure doesn't prove anything either. At best it simply points to what we can't measure. What we can't measure doesn't lend license or credence to speculate so. Nor prove anything about what we might like to think is being measured.

That's the "firewall" between what the scientific method does for us and whatever any Tom, Dick or Henrietta might like to argue otherwise...
We are not dealing with "proof" of anything here in this forum despite the assumptions of many. Quanta is quanta and exists at a higher energy level than we do in our physical bodies. There is no place for it to GO, It just exists in a different energy realm that we do not have access to directly. Without the kind of solid plausible hypothesizing I employed based on EXISTING knowledge science would grind to a halt! The lack of the final step validating them does not place them in the non-scientific or pseudoscience category!! Besides, the fact that our science constitutes less than 5% of the existing energy realm makes such pompous certainty and exclusivity about its explanatory power suspect.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:03 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
You kids!
You infants!

Old 12-22-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We are not dealing with "proof" of anything here in this forum despite the assumptions of many. Quanta is quanta and exists at a higher energy level than we do in our physical bodies. There is no place for it to GO, It just exists in a different energy realm that we do not have access to directly. Without the kind of solid plausible hypothesizing I employed based on EXISTING knowledge science would grind to a halt! The lack of the final step validating them does not place them in the non-scientific or pseudoscience category!! Besides, the fact that our science constitutes less than 5% of the existing energy realm makes such pompous certainty and exclusivity about its explanatory power suspect.
I thought we were dealing with the topic of this thread, which can lead in a variety of directions from a discussion standpoint. Some of us deal with facts, truth and proofs more than others and/or differently than others, but either way it seems you are explaining your comment or belief as stated above is not proven or needs to be proven. Fine.

You, me and everyone else has only what we have at our disposal to evaluate and conclude about all that is going on around us. Or not going on. Perhaps you have a greater understanding about different energy realms than the rest of us. Or maybe not, but either way, where does this leave us?

To conclude and believe whatever the best our mental faculties allow us of course. Might be some of us infants just haven't got the kind of mental faculties that you have. Nothing pompous about our differences along these lines either way I don't think...

Old 12-23-2022, 07:03 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
As my wife and I travel to reunite with old friends and family, I'm reminded of the need for community, and relationship.
Regardless of individual beliefs and insight.
Isolation is generally not good for my soul.

I am designed for community.
My soul is designed for community.

Regardless how uncomfortable it may be.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
As my wife and I travel to reunite with old friends and family, I'm reminded of the need for community, and relationship.
Regardless of individual beliefs and insight.
Isolation is generally not good for my soul.

I am designed for community.
My soul is designed for community.

Regardless how uncomfortable it may be.
Here's to safe travels for you and yours!

I'm sure it's quite common for all of us to prefer community and relationships over loneliness regardless to what we attribute those inclinations and desires. I don't believe in a soul, but I'm certainly looking forward to holiday travels that will include time with family that is time I value very highly.

Here's hoping the holiday gods look favorably upon us as I know they're unhappy about something on the east coast, and where we're headed, London/Europe, we've got all fingers and toes crossed the national guard called into replace the airport strikers will allow us into the country without too much trouble.

Happy Holidays to all!

Old 12-23-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Here's to safe travels for you and yours!

I'm sure it's quite common for all of us to prefer community and relationships over loneliness regardless to what we attribute those inclinations and desires. I don't believe in a soul, but I'm certainly looking forward to holiday travels that will include time with family that is time I value very highly.

Here's hoping the holiday gods look favorably upon us as I know they're unhappy about something on the east coast, and where we're headed, London/Europe, we've got all fingers and toes crossed the national guard called into replace the airport strikers will allow us into the country without too much trouble.

Happy Holidays to all!
Thanks. And safe travels.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:08 AM

22,200 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Here's to safe travels for you and yours! I'm sure it's quite common for all of us to prefer community and relationships over loneliness regardless to what we attribute those inclinations and desires. I don't believe in a soul, but I'm certainly looking forward to holiday travels that will include time with family that is time I value very highly.

Here's hoping the holiday gods look favorably upon us as I know they're unhappy about something on the east coast, and where we're headed, London/Europe, we've got all fingers and toes crossed the national guard called into replace the airport strikers will allow us into the country without too much trouble. Happy Holidays to all!
no.
solitude is not loneliness.
they are not the same.

so don't conflate them.

so no, it is not accurate at all that "all of us prefer community and relationship"

it is more accurate, to understand and realize and accept
that in the same way some people "crave" or prefer or seek or yearn to be among others,
so too do some people "crave" or prefer or seek or yearn for solitude.

that is a fact.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no.
solitude is not loneliness.
they are not the same.

so no, it is not accurate at all that "all of us prefer community and relationship"
Who said anything about solitude? I appreciate solitude too...

Who said they were the same? Is this yet another straw man argument you gin up so you can argue with yourself or just so you can be argumentative period? I just don't understand this incessant inclination of yours.

If I am not right that most people prefer community and relationship, companionship, spending time with other people; family, friends, neighbors, then I stand corrected, but is this not true? Or if you are referring to people who prefer to be alone or who prefer solitude over the company of others, then of course there are those people too, but to enjoy solitude and/or the company of others should not be a case of only one or the other far as I'm concerned. A bit of both certainly seems to work for most people I know and most people I know certainly enjoy community and relationships too, as I believe Oakback was also trying to explain. As many people have tried to explain was reason they go to church in fact. Hello?

Perhaps you are the exception, and this would explain a lot. Might be you need to get out of your head more...

Old 12-23-2022, 09:48 AM

I am an introvert by nature. If anyone is familiar with meyers briggs, I'm an " INFP".

So solitude is my default desire.

But I find that " community " enriches me in a way I'm unable achieve " alone".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality