Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2022, 08:55 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I don't know how you came up with that. I was glad that he never knew my name, and it was quite funny when he got to me and started uncomfortably going uummm, uuhhh with a confused look on his face and I stood there silent, till he moved on.

He came to the school to be the new sheriff in town. The town and school was a story in itself, and it was because of a story that was published in Time magazine that they hired him. I did have a couple of run ins with him. And it wasn't like I blended in with all the other kids, with a muscular stocky build and long dark hair that I grew for 4 years from 7th grade till 10th grade, all the way down to my waist and then I cut it. Most people thought I was Native American and when they asked I always told them I wasn't, they wouldn't believe me.

He showed up at my 10 year class reunion and still didn't know my name. I was like an enigma to him.

I have lived a hard life and it shows now, and all the youthful looks are long gone. I just spend my time in my paint work trying to make things look nice for others.
I came up with that because you didn't include much more about your story until later with this comment. In particular that you didn't mind or feel bad about being this "enigma" in someone else's eyes. Also because your comments often seem to be about "living the hard life," so I thought this one about him knowing everyone's name except yours was another example. Just occurred to me what the Buddha says when it comes everyone who tends to struggle with past life hardships. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

In any case, I am empathetic and sympathetic toward anyone who has lived through hardships or continues to do so (as I thought you were again describing), with hopes the past doesn't weigh to heavy in terms of making the most of the future.

Last edited by LearnMe; 12-14-2022 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I've quit so many times. Just did again and it took the sugar with it. Yeah! I AM someone who deserves to be taken care of, everyone is. I am not trying to become I am. Some people will understand this when I say I demand things of myself I would never expect out of anyone else. I was used to be treated like a means to an end so that's how I treat myself.
So you're still smoking then? Perhaps quitting is one of those most important things you should demand of yourself?

What FINALLY worked for me is the promise to go at least as long as it took to feel I was no longer dealing with the nicotine addiction, because of course that's all it is. I thought if I can at least get to that day when I am no longer craving a smoke, I will then decide whether to pick it up again. To rid myself of the nicotine craving, I knew I "simply" had to stop giving myself nicotine. Once the cravings were gone, there was absolutely no good reason to go back and no way was I going to. Of course there is the one-day-at-a-time approach and benefits of quitting that begin as of day one too. That I certainly wanted to take advantage of...

Timeline

The benefits are almost instant. As soon as a person stops smoking their body begins to recover in the following ways:

After 1 hour

In as little as 20 minutes after the last cigarette is smoked, the heart rate drops and returns to normal. Blood pressure begins to drop, and circulation may start to improve.

After 12 hours

Cigarettes contain a lot of known toxins including carbon monoxide, a gas present in cigarette smoke.

This gas can be harmful or fatal in high doses and prevents oxygen from entering the lungs and blood. When inhaled in large doses in a short time, suffocation can occur from lack of oxygen.

After just 12 hours without a cigarette, the body cleanses itself of the excess carbon monoxide from the cigarettes. The carbon monoxide level returns to normal, increasing the body’s oxygen levels.

After 1 day

Just 1 day after quitting smoking, the risk of heart attack begins to decrease.

Smoking raises the risk of developing coronary heart disease by lowering good cholesterol, which makes heart-healthy exercise harder to do. Smoking also raises blood pressure and increases blood clots, increasing the risk of stroke.

In as little as 1 day after quitting smoking, a person’s blood pressure begins to drop, decreasing the risk of heart disease from smoking-induced high blood pressure. In this short time, a person’s oxygen levels will have risen, making physical activity and exercise easier to do, promoting heart-healthy habits.

After 2 days

Smoking damages the nerve endings responsible for the senses of smell and taste. In as little as 2 days after quitting, a person may notice a heightened sense of smell and more vivid tastes as these nerves heal.

After 3 days

3 days after quitting smoking, the nicotine levels in a person’s body are depleted. While it is healthier to have no nicotine in the body, this initial depletion can cause nicotine withdrawal. Around 3 days after quitting, most people will experience moodiness and irritability, severe headaches, and cravings as the body readjusts.

After 1 month

In as little as 1 month, a person’s lung function begins to improve. As the lungs heal and lung capacity improves, former smokers may notice less coughing and shortness of breath. Athletic endurance increases and former smokers may notice a renewed ability for cardiovascular activities, such as running and jumping.

After 1-3 months

For the next several months after quitting, circulation continues to improve.

After 9 months

Nine months after quitting, the lungs have significantly healed themselves. The delicate, hair-like structures inside the lungs known as cilia have recovered from the toll cigarette smoke took on them. These structures help push mucus out of the lungs and help fight infections.

Around this time, many former smokers notice a decrease in the frequency of lung infections because the healed cilia can do their job more easily.

After 1 year

One year after quitting smoking, a person’s risk for coronary heart disease decreases by half. This risk will continue to drop past the 1-year mark.

After 5 years

Cigarettes contain many known toxins that cause the arteries and blood vessels to narrow. These same toxins also increase the likelihood of developing blood clots.

After 5 years without smoking, the body has healed itself enough for the arteries and blood vessels to begin to widen again. This widening means the blood is less likely to clot, lowering the risk of stroke.

The risk of stroke will continue to reduce over the next 10 years as the body heals more and more.

After 10 years

After 10 years, a person’s chances of developing lung cancer and dying from it are roughly cut in half compared with someone who continues to smoke. The likelihood of developing mouth, throat, or pancreatic cancer has significantly reduced.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...17956#timeline

Whatever the challenge(s) may be, good luck!

Old 12-14-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
Without Jesus, what do you got?
I am glad to say with all honesty I've got a life I can't think how to improve upon. I consider myself very fortunate in this regard, though I know the circumstances of one's life can change dramatically at any time. So far anyway, I feel I could die in my sleep tonight, and be quite satisfied right up to the last minute that have lived a very full, rich, enjoyable life.

That's something isn't it? Certainly good enough for me!

Old 12-14-2022, 09:14 AM

4,085 posts, read 871,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I am glad to say with all honesty I've got a life I can't think how to improve upon. I consider myself very fortunate in this regard, though I know the circumstances of one's life can change dramatically at any time. So far anyway, I feel I could die in my sleep tonight, and be quite satisfied right up to the last minute that have lived a very full, rich, enjoyable life.

That's something isn't it? Certainly good enough for me!
This life is short compared to the eternity after this life.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
It is nice to hear some kind words.

After reading your post, I started thinking of inspiration. Inspiration is a big part of life. I always feel like I must build stuff. And when I see colors I always want to paint something.

I figure the inspiration of seeing a final product carries a person through everything they must face. Most of my inspirations are positive in nature, and in this world there are many corrupt inspirations.

I love inspiration from God because I can see where it leads. Plants grow toward the light of the sun.
I am a big fan of plants and how they grow too. In part why I like to spend as much time in the garden and in nature as I do. Inspiration is a big part of life indeed. No matter really from where we get it. Long as we get it and are inspired to do positive things. For ourself and for others. That's a form of "feeding" the soul (or whatever you want to call it) too.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
This life is short compared to the eternity after this life.
You asked what I got. I answered. My life so far such as it is is what I got and that's plenty good enough for me...

I'll leave the need, longing or expectation of eternity after this life to you and/or for when that time comes for either of us. Again with no sense on my part to be needing or lacking of anything along those lines in the meantime.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:22 AM

1,478 posts, read 478,086 times
Quote:
I came up with that because you didn't include much more about your story until later with this comment. In particular that you didn't mind or feel bad about being this "enigma" in someone else's eyes. Also because your comments often seem to be about "living the hard life," so I thought this one about him knowing everyone's name except yours was another example. Just occurred to me what the Buddha says when it comes everyone who tends to struggle with past life hardships. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

In any case, I am empathetic and sympathetic toward anyone who has lived through hardships or continues to do so (as I thought you were again describing), with hopes the past doesn't weigh to heavy in terms of making the most of the future.
I just grew up living inside a shell. I never looked anyone directly in the eye. I started to come out of it in my 20's.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
You asked what I got. I answered. My life so far such as it is is what I got and that's plenty good enough for me...

I'll leave the need, longing or expectation of eternity after this life to you and/or for when that time comes for either of us. Again with no sense on my part to be needing or lacking of anything along those lines in the meantime.
You don't want to know where you are going after this life? You don't want to help make the decision in that?

Old 12-14-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
You don't want to know where you are going after this life? You don't want to help make the decision in that?
I'm 65. Given the question plenty of consideration and thought ever since I was once a believer at a young age. I think I do know where I'm going after this life, but that's not a decision left up to me. That is what it is for you, me and everyone else regardless. No different for any of us. I don't feel any need to know or do otherwise in any case. I'm quite happy living my life and dealing with what is within my control and leaving the rest to unfold such as it will. I have no concerns or fears about any of my decisions or conclusions along these lines. It's been a very long time since I was anything close to what some people call "god fearing."

Old 12-14-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm 65. Given the question plenty of consideration and thought ever since I was once a believer at a young age. I think I do know where I'm going after this life, but that's not a decision left up to me. That is what it is for you, me and everyone else regardless. No different for any of us. I don't feel any need to know or do otherwise in any case. I'm quite happy living my life and dealing with what is within my control and leaving the rest to unfold such as it will. I have no concerns or fears about any of my decisions or conclusions along these lines. It's been a very long time since I was anything close to what some people call "god fearing."
Well thanks for explaining your feelings about the next life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality