Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2022, 06:25 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
You are badly mistaken. We are supposed to be Christ like in all ways.
You can't stand to be wrong about anything. There is no one personality type. Period. If Jesus was an extrovert that does not mean that people who are introverts are sinning or that they do not exhibit the character of Christ insofar as anyone can do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As he's generally regarded as fully human yet without sin, he has generally been portrayed as the perfect human specimen. But it is a basic principle that anything optimized for X is de-optimized for Y. I am optimized to write computer software, which directly and indirectly de-optimizes me for writing love sonnets or performing feats of athleticism.

So Jesus I think ends up being the perfect god-man (if you don't look too closely anyway) which is a singleton with no precedent, so I would think rather hard to assess.

But even Jesus could be hangry and irritable (cursing the fig tree) or violent (scourging the temple), which is a problem for proponents of Meek and Mild Jesus. Or he could hang out with "sinners" (the woman caught in adultery) or give away Free Stuff (feeding of the 5,000), which is uncomfortable for fundamentalists.

All considered, I think this business of people trying to "imitate Christ" is more "pick a version of Christ to imitate". There are SO many.
I'm not sure that I would agree that you can only be really good or talented at only one thing which is what I'm taking you to mean. But then again, there are people who aren't much good at anything. Sadly, I seem to be one of them.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:39 PM

4,085 posts, read 878,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You can't stand to be wrong about anything. There is no one personality type. Period. If Jesus was an extrovert that does not mean that people who are introverts are sinning or that they do not exhibit the character of Christ insofar as anyone can do so.
Maybe you are the one who doesn't want to admit you are wrong.

We are supposed to be Christ like, transformed into his image.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are the one who doesn't want to admit you are wrong.

We are supposed to be Christ like, transformed into his image.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Jesus was celibate, right?
Being Christ like is about what we do though and how we think.
Jesus tells us what to do and what to think.
However, Jesus didn't come to get married and have kids, and he doesn't say we can't.
Jesus spent some time as a carpenter, but to be Christ like doesn't mean we have to be a carpenter too.

Quote:
What I mean is, I am not interested in the current trend of church as a source of entertainment, and arm waiving to show how devout they are.
Aw, you don't think people should show themselves as worshipers by singing and dancing and lifting hands in prayer?
Quote:
I just want peacefulness, pews with cushions, an organist, a doctor of divinity preaching, and a choir singing traditional hymns.
Are you a Catholic? lol There is more solemness during Catholic mass than other churches.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
You are going to give yourself a headache with all that head smacking.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
As he's generally regarded as fully human yet without sin, he has generally been portrayed as the perfect human specimen. But it is a basic principle that anything optimized for X is de-optimized for Y. I am optimized to write computer software, which directly and indirectly de-optimizes me for writing love sonnets or performing feats of athleticism.

So Jesus I think ends up being the perfect god-man (if you don't look too closely anyway) which is a singleton with no precedent, so I would think rather hard to assess.

But even Jesus could be hangry and irritable (cursing the fig tree) or violent (scourging the temple), which is a problem for proponents of Meek and Mild Jesus. Or he could hang out with "sinners" (the woman caught in adultery) or give away Free Stuff (feeding of the 5,000), which is uncomfortable for fundamentalists.

All considered, I think this business of people trying to "imitate Christ" is more "pick a version of Christ to imitate". There are SO many.
Everything Jesus said and did was a teaching moment. All the sinners Jesus hung around with, he told them to stop sinning.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:33 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Being Christ like is about what we do though and how we think.
Jesus tells us what to do and what to think.
However, Jesus didn't come to get married and have kids, and he doesn't say we can't.
Jesus spent some time as a carpenter, but to be Christ like doesn't mean we have to be a carpenter too.

Aw, you don't think people should show themselves as worshipers by singing and dancing and lifting hands in prayer?

Are you a Catholic? lol There is more solemness during Catholic mass than other churches.
No I do not. I find it creepy, and no I am not Catholic.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:30 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that I would agree that you can only be really good or talented at only one thing which is what I'm taking you to mean. But then again, there are people who aren't much good at anything. Sadly, I seem to be one of them.
No, not one thing. That wasn't my core point. I'm good at a lot of things, not good at a lot of things. Each of the things I have concentrated on making myself exceptional at, has been at the expense of being below average on one or more other things I COULD have concentrated on. Of course personal interest and inherent strengths enter into it -- that is why we gravitate toward our core competencies, because they are easier to master that way.

The way I look at it is that everyone has a personal "budget" of energy, time, interest, curiosity and intelligence to divide up among any number of competencies ... but it is finite, so if you only have enough budget to do one thing I guess theoretically that could happen. But most of us have enough to spread around on several things, it's just a question of which ones.

If we theorize based on Christian theology that Jesus had an unlimited "budget", then he would be an exception of sorts to my rule. But even he, by subjecting himself to human limitations, had only so much time and stamina at the very least. And we know from the fig tree affair and other anecdotes that he was subject to hunger and thirst and weariness.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
No, not one thing. That wasn't my core point. I'm good at a lot of things, not good at a lot of things. Each of the things I have concentrated on making myself exceptional at, has been at the expense of being below average on one or more other things I COULD have concentrated on. Of course personal interest and inherent strengths enter into it -- that is why we gravitate toward our core competencies, because they are easier to master that way.

The way I look at it is that everyone has a personal "budget" of energy, time, interest, curiosity and intelligence to divide up among any number of competencies ... but it is finite, so if you only have enough budget to do one thing I guess theoretically that could happen. But most of us have enough to spread around on several things, it's just a question of which ones.

If we theorize based on Christian theology that Jesus had an unlimited "budget", then he would be an exception of sorts to my rule. But even he, by subjecting himself to human limitations, had only so much time and stamina at the very least. And we know from the fig tree affair and other anecdotes that he was subject to hunger and thirst and weariness.
Got it. And I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality