Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 04:29 PM

154 posts, read 74,782 times

Advertisements

Since there is no way to fit in a discussion of the Bahai religion in other subgroups, I am posting here to start a discussion about the emergence, beliefs, and splits among the Bahai. One of the teachings of the main Bahai group was the unification of all religions. But how can that be accomplished when in their own backyard for the last 100 years or more they haven't been able to accomplish it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 05:20 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Maybe you can share some basics of that belief system, since most or all of us might not be familiar with it.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:42 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Maybe you can share some basics of that belief system, since most or all of us might not be familiar with it.
I have to tell you an embarrassing story.

Back when I was a principal, I was talking with one of our young teachers at a party, and she mentioned that she had heard I was a Buddhist, which had surprised her. I asked what her belief system was, and she said Bahai'. I said, "Oh, I didn't know you were Jewish". She corrected me. And I felt silly because I had thought of "B'nai B'rith". Ah well. Live and learn.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:11 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvduv View Post
Since there is no way to fit in a discussion of the Bahai religion in other subgroups, I am posting here to start a discussion about the emergence, beliefs, and splits among the Bahai. One of the teachings of the main Bahai group was the unification of all religions. But how can that be accomplished when in their own backyard for the last 100 years or more they haven't been able to accomplish it?
Thanks. Just telling believers (in anything) they are wrong all time is getting old. And beating the dead horse of "we don't have to say anything" and "My deity only" has reached a point of insanity to me.

I agree with thor, can you tell us about what you believe?

Old 07-28-2021, 06:37 PM

154 posts, read 74,782 times
There are many websites on the subject, as well as articles on Wikipedia. But maybe those who are familiar with it would like to discuss it here.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:44 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
^ You might find a response of crickets. We'll see...

Old 07-28-2021, 06:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ You might find a response of crickets. We'll see...
I have to look it it up, read about it, and then probably forget to reply ...
out of stupidity not disrespect.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:36 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvduv View Post
I went to an interfaith gathering sponsored by American Jewish Committee, of which I am a member, and the Baha'is. Any guess where their headquarters are?No in "their own backyard", Iran. It's in Tel Aviv, State of Israel.

A fun fact; the folk-rock group Seals and Crofts is Baha'i and they sing about it, most explicitly, in "East of Ginger Trees" and in other songs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYGRx6QvtLM

Excerpt from lyrics (link):
Quote:
Go east of your dream and farm.
Let peace and silence spin your yarn.
What harm can befall thee in yon wilderness of clove?
Go on east of ginger trees.
Go soft and silent like the breeze.
With ease be off and wander in yon wilderness of clove.
Go on past the goldenrods, where fools and angels lose their odds.
And gods of our ancestors did immerse themselves in clove.
Go on toward the crimson shore, beyond this life of metaphors.
Where doors of understanding's house decorates he them with clove.
"Be lions roaring in
the forests of knowledge, Whales swimming in the
oceans of life." Prepare to meet
Bahá'u'llá'h in the Garden of Clove.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:27 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Here's a link, there's a lot there so I can't excerpt too much but you can explore it.

https://www.bahai.org/beliefs/

It seems like a mostly Abrahamic syncretic faith. It is monotheistic, with messengers of god revealing truths to selected people.

One thing I am disappointed in is that the leader role in Bahai appeared to be hereditary for the first 150 years, and was passed to the eldest son. There is a new body governing the faith since 1963 which appears pluralistic, but for a new message to unite all people it didn't seem to stray far from the old messages.

There is a very beautiful Bahai temple north of where I live which I have visited.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:39 AM

8,343 posts, read 272,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Here's a link, there's a lot there so I can't excerpt too much but you can explore it.

https://www.bahai.org/beliefs/

It seems like a mostly Abrahamic syncretic faith. It is monotheistic, with messengers of god revealing truths to selected people.

One thing I am disappointed in is that the leader role in Bahai appeared to be hereditary for the first 150 years, and was passed to the eldest son. There is a new body governing the faith since 1963 which appears pluralistic, but for a new message to unite all people it didn't seem to stray far from the old messages.

There is a very beautiful Bahai temple north of where I live which I have visited.

They also claim that Krsna was also 'a manifestation of God', as well as Moses, Jesus, Muhammed and others.
This causes some consternation(to say the least),
1.by Jews & Muslims for saying that Moses & Muhammed were 'manifestations of God'
2.by Krishna devotees, for saying Krshna was not the incarnation of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality