Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 06:45 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times

Advertisements

I am Catholic. Not super religious but go to church weekly and follow most of it. Quick question. I thought the Bible states that after death, we sleep until Jesus returns and then all of the dead will rise and go to heaven (or hell). Today, I was at a funeral mass. The priest said that the deceased was met by angels and is now in heaven. That is not what I thought the Bible says. Do they say it to comfort the family? Did the priest get it wrong? Is there another contradictory statement that says what the priest said?

Last edited by trusso11783; 03-01-2023 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 06:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Is there any way you could ask the priest? I'd start there, if I were you.

IMO, after death--the tunnel. Before entering the tunnel, the newly-deceased may be greeted by his/her loved ones, who pre-deceased him or her.

Old 03-01-2023, 08:06 PM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am Catholic. Not super religious but go to church weekly and follow most of it. Quick question. I thought the Bible states that after death, we sleep until Jesus returns and then all of the dead will rise and go to heaven (or hell). Today, I was at a funeral mass. The priest said that the deceased was met by angels and is now in heaven. That is not what I thought the Bible says. Do they say it to comfort the family? Did the priest get it wrong? Is there another contradictory statement that says what the priest said?
There is no consistent teaching in the various denominations concerning "soul sleep". The Bible is actually pretty vague on the topic, and there's room for interpretation. Although of course there are people with particular points of view who will fulminate to the contrary.

In a sense I don't see how soul sleep really matters since the transition would presumably seem instantaneous to you either way.

As an evangelical, I was taught that you went straight to heaven or hell but not with a physical body until the resurrection. Your presence in either place was purely "spiritual". There's also a lot of argument about what happens when. Is there a "rapture"? Is it before, in the middle of, or after the Great Tribulation? Is there a thousand-year reign of Christ yet to come after that? Are the dead resurrected before or after that? Or after the new heaven and earth are created? Where in the midst of all this fever dream does the resurrection happen? Is it spiritual, physical, both, or neither? Who lives in heaven and who lives on earth in the afterlife, and does it matter?

There's also the questions of purgatory, limbo, and other halfway house concepts between heaven and hell.

Personally I just consigned all of it to what phet calls "woo", long ago. Good luck getting straight answers to questions like yours.

Old 03-01-2023, 08:47 PM

412 posts, read 137,726 times
Quote:
It seems you are mixing components of the Christian faith with Catholicism. Remember, the Catholic bible has additional books that the Christian bible does not have.

Old 03-01-2023, 08:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
It seems you are mixing components of the Christian faith with Catholicism. Remember, the Catholic bible has additional books that the Christian bible does not have.
Catholics **are Christian**.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:14 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Well, it's the eternal question, isn't it?
Quote:
To die, to sleep -
To sleep - perchance to dream. Ay, there’s the rub!
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause.
I'd be very wary of anyone claiming to have THE answer.

I've eventually come around to the notion that we are made of stars, and someday we'll be stars again, and that's the only immortality we can 100% count on. And it is beautiful, if stark.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
The Catholic Bible is a Christian Bible.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:56 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
The Catholic Bible is a Christian Bible. Unless you're from an ancient form of Christianity like the Copts, Ethiopians, Eastern Orthodox, etc...I'm sorry to inform you that your version of Christianity probably has its roots in Catholicism and therefore you're the ones who took the books out, not vice versa. I mean, you can look at the wayward ways of your parents and grandparents and "reform" your own life choices...but they're still your ancestors, even if you disown them.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:39 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:

We've covered this subject elsewhere on the forum fairly recently. However, if you want mainstream Christianity's description of the state of the dead, it in no way tallies with the BIBLE'S description of the state of the dead. Christians have made up their own stories when it comes to this subject, EVEN THOUGH they are unwittingly agreeing with the Bible when they say of the dead ..."Rest in peace."

Yes, the Bible CONSISTENTLY states in MANY places - both Old and New Testaments - that the dead REALLY ARE 'resting in peace' (i.e., unaware, undisturbed) until the resurrection. Even Jesus and Paul use the Bible description whenever they reference the state of the dead. The dead 'sleep' ((metaphorically, of course) until the return of Jesus when the graves will be opened, and the 'righteous dead' will 'put on immortality'. That's pretty much all we need to know right now.

As for the 'unrighteous dead' ...that's probably a different thread topic.

Regarding the priest you mentioned . . .fairy stories generally have a happy ending. You will probably be aware that no minister or pastor will EVER say that the deceased was met by Satan's minions and is now in hell. It seems that EVERYONE goes to heaven ...no ifs, ands or buts!

Whether in ignorance or in telling a white lie, the priest is just going along with a popular belief to comfort the family and friends. Someone said, "Ask the priest." No, don't do that. Just read what the Bible has to say about the topic.

Old 03-01-2023, 11:52 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
There is no consistent teaching in the various denominations concerning "soul sleep".
Just say 'sleep' as the Bible teaches. The 'soul' part is not necessary. "Soul sleep" is a man-made term. And so, any term that is man-made and therefore not found in scripture, even if the term MAY accurately describe the event, throws suspicion on the user of the term. And so, just the word 'sleep' will suffice.

Quote:
The Bible is actually pretty vague on the topic . . .
Not at all. The Bible makes reference to the state of the dead some 50-odd times, I believe. It doesn't tell us much about what happens ONCE a body is resurrected and 'puts on immortality' but it DOES tell us what happens during the interim between death and resurrection. Actually, it would appear that NOTHING happens!

Quote:
. . .and there's room for interpretation. Although of course there are people with particular points of view who will fulminate to the contrary.
Actually, there is NO room for interpretation. The dead 'sleep' until the resurrection and that's it. Of course, that hasn't stopped people from putting their own spin into the topic as would be expected. 'Resting' in the grave doesn't sound exciting enough, I guess. But the scripture is pretty consistent and doesn't appear to allow any wiggle room.

Quote:
In a sense I don't see how soul sleep . . .
Just 'sleep' will do.

Quote:
. . .really matters since the transition would presumably seem instantaneous to you either way.
Yes, it could be an hour, or it could be a thousand years. The passing of time will not be evident to the awakened.

Quote:
As an evangelical, I was taught that you went straight to heaven or hell but not with a physical body until the resurrection. Your presence in either place was purely "spiritual". There's also a lot of argument about what happens when. Is there a "rapture"? Is it before, in the middle of, or after the Great Tribulation? Is there a thousand-year reign of Christ yet to come after that? Are the dead resurrected before or after that? Or after the new heaven and earth are created? Where in the midst of all this fever dream does the resurrection happen? Is it spiritual, physical, both, or neither? Who lives in heaven and who lives on earth in the afterlife, and does it matter?

There's also the questions of purgatory, limbo, and other halfway house concepts between heaven and hell.
There is really no need for any of the above. I would suggest that no one ask ANYONE of ANY denomination what occurs between death and resurrection. As long as one has a Bible and can read, there are 50-odd scriptures that deal with - and answer - the question asked.

Quote:
Personally I just consigned all of it to what phet calls "woo", long ago. Good luck getting straight answers to questions like yours.
That's fine but the OP DID ask a valid question and the answer IS available in scripture for those that are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality