Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 10:25 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins
I had a pastor tell me that we may already be in heaven but our bodily existence is destined to experience mortal life. If that is the case, we would cast off our mortal existence upon death. That was a new concept to me coming from an ordained conservative denomination pastor but it has a certain appeal. He was speculating, I think, but quite serious.

It reminds me, in a degree, of a metamorphosis that we might see in nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He was quite insightful because our conscious awareness that we use to experience this physical existence is NOT physical and does exist at a higher level of existence (Spirit) as does God who IS Spirit
This is what makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 07:50 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
As a practical matter, our experience of "sleep" removes all awareness of time so the word "immediately" is moot. Any subsequent awareness after death would seem immediate no matter how much time elapses.
True, however; I can attest that I was aware of my heart stopping during my heart attack and the sensation it produced was that of a soft, fuzzy blanket being drawn over my consciousness until I was completely out. It was ineffably comforting. If that is the "sleep' that I enter before the next phase after death, I'm perfectly content with it.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,884,777 times
There are many people alive now who maintain they can (some consciously) go to the area where the 'dead' are residing after leaving here. These are people who claim they can go out-of-body(OBE). Apparently, there is a 'level' where those recently 'dead' go to recover and recuperate. oh...and you dont have to be of a particular faith either.

The Monroe Institute claims to train people to do this (OBE) aided by their patented audio technology. Hemisync.

So, there ARE people who would claim they KNOW what happens, who are alive today, and who can be questioned on what they find there. If enough people report the same thing, people who do not know each other, then we can draw conclusions from that.

I think the language these Bible passages use may actually describe what the more modern folks report in modern language.

There are also many Budhist monks who also describe what it is like when one has 'died' too. I dont think we really want to know, in case we are dissappointed or find out we/the Bible are wrong.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:35 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Or, too many are missing the point, and taking the writings literally, instead of the actual metaphoric and allegoric intentions. Much of the older writings around the world took that form, but people now are trying to use modern and literal assumptions, which won't fit or work. That's not a justification or defense of the Bible; just pointing out that modern people typically don't match their approach to the intended approach of the older writings.
Quote:
Yup - like trying to take an instantaneous quantum experience and describe it in morse code at 30 baud!

Old 12-01-2023, 01:00 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Or, too many are missing the point, and taking the writings literally, instead of the actual metaphoric and allegoric intentions. Much of the older writings around the world took that form, but people now are trying to use modern and literal assumptions, which won't fit or work. That's not a justification or defense of the Bible; just pointing out that modern people typically don't match their approach to the intended approach of the older writings.
I completely agree. In terms of my own background, I was taught that god personally authored this stuff for my benefit, not that there was some narrative style and intent that was a product of its times and that we must understand it in that light. That ran too counter to the doctrine of inerrancy and total word for word inspiration. As well as the confident pronouncements of teachers with all sorts of creative detailed explanations for what each passage "clearly" means.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:21 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am Catholic. Not super religious but go to church weekly and follow most of it. Quick question. I thought the Bible states that after death, we sleep until Jesus returns and then all of the dead will rise and go to heaven (or hell). Today, I was at a funeral mass. The priest said that the deceased was met by angels and is now in heaven. That is not what I thought the Bible says. Do they say it to comfort the family? Did the priest get it wrong? Is there another contradictory statement that says what the priest said?
Both: sleep and heaven.
Heaven for those who have that first or earlier resurrection - Revelation 20:6 ; 5:9-10 ; Luke 22:28-30
Sleep for the majority of mankind (John 3:13) til Resurrection Day meaning Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day governing over Earth in righteousness. - John 6:40,44

Dead Jesus went to hell - Acts 2:27 - Not to some religious-myth hell teaching but the grave for the sleeping dead.
- Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14

Please notice Romans 6:23,7 because it is ' death ' that stamps the total complete asking price tag for sin.
Not death plus some post-mortem penalty. No double jeopardy to be paid for sin.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:23 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Yup - like trying to take an instantaneous quantum experience and describe it in morse code at 30 baud!
I like the analogy. You DO get it, brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality