Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 08:15 AM

6,956 posts, read 6,880,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I'm assuming you are referring to Tyler Henry? The thing about mediums and I've never seen or heard anyone ask this is....how does the medium know that the spirit or energy they are communicating with is the spirit or energy of the deceased loved one? What happens if they are communicating with an evil spirit disguising themselves as the loved one?
I don't know what happens once we die, but logic would say that "something" happens. Our spirit or soul or whatever goes somewhere.
I was a Spiritualist for many years, so I can probably answer you. I must have sat in many seances so in my opinion, as far as I can tell, mediums have 'feelings' about stuff going on and they 'know' things somehow. It is the same way normal people like you and I are 'certain' something is right or wrong. Mediums have a 'feeling' which they are certain about or have come to know through experience is correct.
My own opinion is that our brain is like a radio receiver and picks up frequencies from the different energies we sense with our physical body. This includes touch, taste, hear, see and smell. All these senses (electrical signals) are interpreted at the physical brain as different input, so I am assuming there are other senses (more than the 5 normal ones) we interpret as other input as well. Some of those other senses might be reading an aura or bodily energy field which is another sense which can also be interpreted by the brain of some people (mediums).

In my experience, mediums can tell you the personality of the person in front of them and they would definitely know if this person was an 'evil spirit', besides most of the mediums have a helper who helps spirits come forward to give their messages in an orderly manner. It would be too much to have a whole crowd of deceased people all trying to give messages at once to the medium to give to their loved ones on Earth.
If you believe 'evil spirits' can disguise themselves as good spirits, then that also applies to angels and other messengers from God. How do YOU know these 'evil spirits' or the 'devil' are not impersonating angels etc?
The reports from folks who can do out-of-body travel say there is a fairly well-known description of the afterlife and is similarly described by many of those folk. The religious people dont want to accept these descriptions as valid and prefer to continue to believe their own interpretations with faith. Personally, I would prefer to believe second-hand accounts which agree with one another rather than believing on blind faith alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 08:37 AM

501 posts, read 169,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I was a Spiritualist for many years, so I can probably answer you. I must have sat in many seances so in my opinion, as far as I can tell, mediums have 'feelings' about stuff going on and they 'know' things somehow. It is the same way normal people like you and I are 'certain' something is right or wrong. Mediums have a 'feeling' which they are certain about or have come to know through experience is correct.
This may be your experience - indeed, it was my experience with two very well-known mediums - but it is just not true of highly reputable, extensively tested mediums such as Lenora Piper and Eileen Garrett. Garrett's work in connection with the R-101 dirigible crash was jaw-dropping. This is a short, popular-level description that doesn't do justice to the case but will give you the idea: [url]https://www.americanhauntingsink.com/garrett[/url]. This is more extensive: [url]https://ia600307.us.archive.org/20/items/NotesonSpiritualismandPsychicalResearch/R101AritcleScan044.pdf[/url].

Lenora Piper demonstrated her mediumistic abilities over and over under intense professional scrutiny that continued for decades. Some of her work is likewise jaw-dropping. Weirdly, or maybe not, some of her work was complete nonsense - "Sir Walter Raleigh" talked of monkeys living on the sun. Moreover, in some efforts to expose her, she produced detailed histories of "deceased" persons who were in fact fictional.

Interestingly, neither Piper nor Garrett purported to understand her abilities, and neither claimed that contact with the dead was the only possible explanation. Piper's information about his family matters was so detailed and extensive that famed American psychologist William James described her as his "white crow" for the reality of paranormal abilities.

So mediumship at the most reputable levels is a complex phenomenon, but it is impossible to simply dismiss.

Oh, I did have one oddity in my two sittings: The medium said "I keep getting 'I CUT THE TREES, I CUT THE TREES." In fact, my wife's late father's business was operating tree-thinning crews under contracts with the Forest Service. He did indeed cut the trees. On the other hand, the medium told my wife she was free of breast cancer, which proved not to be true, and was unaware that she herself would be dead of breast cancer within a year.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:12 PM

989 posts, read 535,661 times
Large numbers of people have died temporarily, thenwere brought back to life in a medical manner. Still, dead is dead, and alive is alive. Those that died didn't go anywhere, they just ceased to have neural activity. After X amount of time, neural activity cannot be restored, and at that point they are dead, dead. No proof that anyone went anywhere, they just died and stayed dead. Sorta like the New England Patriot's season.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:40 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,911,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Large numbers of people have died temporarily, then were brought back to life in a medical manner. Still, dead is dead, and alive is alive. Those that died didn't go anywhere, they just ceased to have neural activity. After X amount of time, neural activity cannot be restored, and at that point they are dead, dead. No proof that anyone went anywhere, they just died and stayed dead. Sorta like the New England Patriot's season.
Well, the Bible states differently but this IS the Religion and Spirituality thread. Regardless, this is a topic that will only be revealed - dependent as to whether one is in a state of consciousness TO actually behold such a revelation - after they die.

Old 11-05-2023, 10:45 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well, the Bible states differently but this IS the Religion and Spirituality thread. Regardless, this is a topic that will only be revealed - dependent as to whether one is in a state of consciousness TO actually behold such a revelation - after they die.
Correct
But technically speaking, they wouldn’t know what’s after death in case if there is a complete void awaits. There wouldn’t be any consciousness to perceive anything.

Atheists wouldn’t be able celebrate because they wouldn’t know - and theists wouldn’t have anything to shock them for being wrong.

Old 11-05-2023, 10:49 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,911,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Correct
But technically speaking, they wouldn’t know what’s after death in case if there is a complete void awaits. There wouldn’t be any consciousness to perceive anything.

Atheists wouldn’t be able celebrate because they wouldn’t know - and theists wouldn’t have anything to shock them for being wrong.
Correct!

Is this thread topic now over?

Old 11-22-2023, 05:50 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
It seems you are mixing components of the Christian faith with Catholicism. Remember, the Catholic bible has additional books that the Christian bible does not have.
You really, really need to do some serious studying.

FYI, Catholicism was the FIRST, THE ORIGINAL “Christian denomination”.

You wouldn’t have your “Christian” Bible if it weren’t for Emperor Constantine, the Council of Nicea, and the Catholic Church.

Unbelievable.

Old 11-22-2023, 05:55 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Newsflash: immediately after death rigor mortis sets in followed by decomposition.

Besides that, the rest is all MADE UP stuff because there is ZERO evidence that anyone KNOWS what happens to your “soul”, if you have one.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:43 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times
Dead. Period. End of story. It will be like you never existed. You will be dust, eventually. Isn't that what the good book says?

Genesis 3:19
"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

Pretty basic stuff. I don't believe any of it, but I do understand that this life is ALL we get. Live it.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:54 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Newsflash: immediately after death rigor mortis sets in followed by decomposition.

Besides that, the rest is all MADE UP stuff because there is ZERO evidence that anyone KNOWS what happens to your “soul”, if you have one.
For the purposes of the thread I think we DO have a soul... and we are trying to figure out what the Bible says about what exactly happens to it when you die. And is usually the case, the Bible confirms both possibilities. If it didn't then we wouldn't have two conflicting "doctrines" regarding what happens to the "soul"...

Outside the thread... in real life... with the immutable laws of the Universe and nature... there isn't much there to warrant a whole lot of worry about what happens to your "soul"... actual observation would tell us that it ends up being maggot meat... just like the rest of our carcass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality