Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2024, 12:32 PM
Status: "Without God, life is tragic and absurd." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Free State of Texas
20,357 posts, read 12,637,956 times
Reputation: 2469

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I don't get this whole business. Who someone is sleeping with is no one else's business. So why would it even come up if a gay person, a bi person, a heterosexual person etc went to any church? Are they going to proclaim their sexual preference up there on the alter so that everyone knows? No matter what a church says their policies are or are not, the people in it are individuals who go by their own moral compass. You can't change that, it's their personal preference.

A lot of us have had all manner of "different" sexual experiences in our early years. I'm not gong to tell people in a church about the hooker I picked up in Reno, the woman I slept w/ that was my best friend's wife, or that crazy night in a New Orleans bar at 3 AM when I was in that restroom w/ someone who sure looked like a woman! Who knew?

Am I going to go to Ace Hardware for a saw and say I want everyone in the store to know that I'm gay just to see if they will sell me that saw? Trust me, they could care less. Why is a church any different? If anything, a church is a place where you keep your business in your pocket.

These "different" examples are all made up of course (probably), but you and I know that people do these things, and more, 24/7. None of it has any bearing about attending a church. If I were gay, I would have enough sense to not go around proclaiming it in a Southern Baptist church for sure, but why would I need to reveal it to anyone at any time?

There is no reason to do it.
I can tell you at my Southern Baptist mega-church, we do not inquire about such things, but before joining, you will find out we believe in traditional marriage as the only proper sexual relationship. That being said, we care more about your relationship to God and seek to encourage and assist you in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2024, 12:43 PM
Status: "My worldview is based on the inerrant word of God." (set 23 days ago)
 
18,695 posts, read 6,803,712 times
Reputation: 3517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
I can tell you at my Southern Baptist mega-church, we do not inquire about such things, but before joining, you will find out we believe in traditional marriage as the only proper sexual relationship. That being said, we care more about your relationship to God and seek to encourage and assist you in that regard.
Exactly. And I'd guess that the vast majority of churches in America would do the same. We don't CARE what the sexuality is of the person that comes into our churches are...until they tell us.

If a man comes into church and introduces himself, his wife, and then his girlfriend.....I'd have an issue with that. If a man comes in and introduces himself, and his husband, I'd have an issue with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2024, 06:15 PM
 
Location: northern Alabama
1,065 posts, read 1,258,239 times
Reputation: 2866
I find it difficult to invite my gay relatives to a church where they are referred to as an abomination. I find it difficult to go to a church that regards me as a second -class citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2024, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Townsville
6,603 posts, read 2,803,938 times
Reputation: 5432
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I don't get this whole business. Who someone is sleeping with is no one else's business. So why would it even come up if a gay person, a bi person, a heterosexual person etc went to any church? Are they going to proclaim their sexual preference up there on the alter so that everyone knows? No matter what a church says their policies are or are not, the people in it are individuals who go by their own moral compass. You can't change that, it's their personal preference.

A lot of us have had all manner of "different" sexual experiences in our early years. I'm not gong to tell people in a church about the hooker I picked up in Reno, the woman I slept w/ that was my best friend's wife, or that crazy night in a New Orleans bar at 3 AM when I was in that restroom w/ someone who sure looked like a woman! Who knew?

Am I going to go to Ace Hardware for a saw and say I want everyone in the store to know that I'm gay just to see if they will sell me that saw? Trust me, they could care less. Why is a church any different? If anything, a church is a place where you keep your business in your pocket.

These "different" examples are all made up of course (probably), but you and I know that people do these things, and more, 24/7. None of it has any bearing about attending a church. If I were gay, I would have enough sense to not go around proclaiming it in a Southern Baptist church for sure, but why would I need to reveal it to anyone at any time?

There is no reason to do it.
<For both the humor and the commonsense approach to the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2024, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Townsville
6,603 posts, read 2,803,938 times
Reputation: 5432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Exactly. If a man comes into church and introduces himself, his wife, and then his girlfriend.....I'd have an issue with that.
Yes, that scenario might rightly raise eyebrows. But then, that's unlikely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If a man comes in and introduces himself, and his husband, I'd have an issue with that.
This might happen. So, what's the issue here? Do you personally disapprove, or do you disapprove because you believe that 'God' disapproves? Which one is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2024, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Townsville
6,603 posts, read 2,803,938 times
Reputation: 5432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I find it difficult to invite my gay relatives to a church where they are referred to as an abomination. I find it difficult to go to a church that regards me as a second -class citizen.
The Jesus of the Bible would not refer to your gay relatives as 'abominations' and nor would He regard anyone as 'second-class citizens'. And Jesus is the one who counts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2024, 07:50 AM
Status: "My worldview is based on the inerrant word of God." (set 23 days ago)
 
18,695 posts, read 6,803,712 times
Reputation: 3517
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Yes, that scenario might rightly raise eyebrows. But then, that's unlikely to happen.



This might happen. So, what's the issue here? Do you personally disapprove, or do you disapprove because you believe that 'God' disapproves? Which one is it?
Why do YOU have an issue with one and not the other? Do you personally disapprove, or do you disapprove because you think someone else might?

Do you believe a church is wrong for daring to follow what the Bible says?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2024, 08:50 AM
 
15,084 posts, read 7,118,176 times
Reputation: 18923
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why do YOU have an issue with one and not the other? Do you personally disapprove, or do you disapprove because you think someone else might?

Do you believe a church is wrong for daring to follow what the Bible says?
Yes, because many churches twist the Bible to meet their own beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2024, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Reputation: 114129
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I don't get this whole business. Who someone is sleeping with is no one else's business. So why would it even come up if a gay person, a bi person, a heterosexual person etc went to any church? Are they going to proclaim their sexual preference up there on the alter so that everyone knows? No matter what a church says their policies are or are not, the people in it are individuals who go by their own moral compass. You can't change that, it's their personal preference.

A lot of us have had all manner of "different" sexual experiences in our early years. I'm not gong to tell people in a church about the hooker I picked up in Reno, the woman I slept w/ that was my best friend's wife, or that crazy night in a New Orleans bar at 3 AM when I was in that restroom w/ someone who sure looked like a woman! Who knew?

Am I going to go to Ace Hardware for a saw and say I want everyone in the store to know that I'm gay just to see if they will sell me that saw? Trust me, they could care less. Why is a church any different? If anything, a church is a place where you keep your business in your pocket.

These "different" examples are all made up of course (probably), but you and I know that people do these things, and more, 24/7. None of it has any bearing about attending a church. If I were gay, I would have enough sense to not go around proclaiming it in a Southern Baptist church for sure, but why would I need to reveal it to anyone at any time?

There is no reason to do it.
Well, if a gay couple comes to church together, or wants to get married in a church, it's not going to be a secret. In some churches, people are going to try to get them to "stop sinning", or in the horror of a case that started the long-running thread in Christianity, the young man's parents and church learned he was gay and forced him to go to conversion therapy or risk being cut off by his family and shunned by his church. He tried, twice, to "convert" out of being gay, and when he couldn't do it, his family and church made good on their threat.

In other churches, they will be accepted as they are. The OP wants one of those churches to attend for her family.

It doesn't even have to be the gay person but those who love them as they are. I met an old lady at an event a few years ago who had moved to the area and started attending a church of the same denomination of the one she used to go to. The pastor's sermon was going off about wicked gay people were and how they were all going to hell. She told me, "I've known since he was a toddler that my youngest son was gay. He was different from my other sons, and I love him as he is. My son is not an abomination, and my son is not going to hell. I got up and walked out of that church in the middle of that sermon, and then I came to this one instead."

The distaste for sexuality that is different from the majority is purely human, and that is demonstrated in the ancient tribal biblical laws that the humans in fundamentalist (Bible literalist) churches use to hide behind their own distastes. All you can do is find a church that has matured beyond that point and follows Jesus's teachings of loving one's neighbors instead. And if you are feeling benevolent enough, pray for the fundamentalists that they may grow and mature in their Christian love and their eyes be opened.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-24-2024 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2024, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,119 posts, read 23,775,393 times
Reputation: 32519
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Yes, because many churches twist the Bible to meet their own beliefs.
I agree...and they pick and choose what in the bible they want to follow...and that is a main reason that there are hundreds (if not thousands) of denominations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top