Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2024, 01:59 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Jesus gave us an ideal. I don't know anywhere Jesus said anyone who could not achieve that ideal is condemned. My personal belief is that what CONSENTING ADULTS do is between them and God.

AND, YES, I hold the teachings of Jesus superior to any one else's teaching. My personal opinion, apostles and disciples although inspired by God, were human.
I wish you the best in your search. The bold is correct. Avoid ANY church that believes they are to judge and enforce God's rules as they see them. God needs no enforcers for any reason! He seeks our love for Him and each other, period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 02:03 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I don't think anyone has mentioned the United Church of Christ (UCC), who are Congregationalists, which is a direct descendant of the Puritans. It is a socially liberal, mainline church that is not just welcoming but affirming. This may be what you are really looking for, a church that doesn't just welcome the LGBTQ+ community, but affirms you as you are.

Reading through this thread, I think by now you should know the Southern Baptists are NOT for you! But there are socially liberal Baptist churches elsewhere, such as Old Cambridge Baptist Church in Massachusetts.

As a gay man I've had an on-again off-again relationship with the Episcopal Church, which I was raised in. The style of worship in different Episcopal parishes can vary widely, as well as the political leanings of their members (who tend to be well-educated in either case), so if you try one and don't like it, try another. Along the way I've also studied other world religions and enjoy finding common ground.

If you have a strict "Bible-believing" background, then the Episcopal Church may not be for you, as they tend to view the Bible as sacred literature (not literal) and open to many interpretations.

I've been inactive for over a decade, I think because I became overly involved (especially with music) and then hit a kind of burn-out. Sometimes I think of going back, but now it seems like every church streams their services, so you get livestreamed while taking Communion, which I find extremely invasive.

And that reminds me, you can always check out different churches through their livestreams, without having to go there, and shop around that way. It could save a lot of time.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:41 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The guy with two wives . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Yes, that scenario might rightly raise eyebrows. But then, that's unlikely to happen.
Quote:
The guy with husband . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
This might happen. So, what's the issue here? Do you personally disapprove, or do you disapprove because you believe that 'God' disapproves? Which one is it?
Quote:
Why do YOU have an issue with one and not the other? Do you personally disapprove, or do you disapprove because you think someone else might?
The first scenario ...the guy entering the church with two wives ...may well quote areas of the Bible where God appears to approve of polygamy. Me? I couldn't really argue against that. It would also be none of my business although I would personally think it to be an odd scenario. Polygamy is also against common law in most, if not all, countries. 'The church', however, would likely frown on this and in fact veto this couple from becoming members of their church. Some churches may bar them altogether.

The second scenario ...the guy entering the church with his husband ... may well say that marriage to his life-long partner IS approved by the common law of the land and so he/they are not breaking any laws in that regard. He may also say that the Bible nowhere prohibits marriage between two males or two females. If the church insists that the Bible DOES prohibit intimate relations between those of the same gender, it's to be hoped that he would be knowledgeable enough about those half-dozen or so passages of scripture in the ENTIRE Bible to counter their argument. The church, in its ignorance, would likely not agree with his interpretation of those scriptures and would veto this couple from becoming members of their church. Some churches may bar them altogether.

Quote:
Do you believe a church is wrong for daring to follow what the Bible says?
Don't come at me with that scare tactic. That's a big problem with many professed Christians. They tend to come at you with the Bible as though it's the equivalent of the hanging sword of Damocles.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:07 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The first scenario ...the guy entering the church with two wives ...may well quote areas of the Bible where God appears to approve of polygamy. Me? I couldn't really argue against that. It would also be none of my business although I would personally think it to be an odd scenario. Polygamy is also against common law in most, if not all, countries. 'The church', however, would likely frown on this and in fact veto this couple from becoming members of their church. Some churches may bar them altogether.

The second scenario ...the guy entering the church with his husband ... may well say that marriage to his life-long partner IS approved by the common law of the land and so he/they are not breaking any laws in that regard. He may also say that the Bible nowhere prohibits marriage between two males or two females. If the church insists that the Bible DOES prohibit intimate relations between those of the same gender, it's to be hoped that he would be knowledgeable enough about those half-dozen or so passages of scripture in the ENTIRE Bible to counter their argument. The church, in its ignorance, would likely not agree with his interpretation of those scriptures and would veto this couple from becoming members of their church. Some churches may bar them altogether.

Don't come at me with that scare tactic. That's a big problem with many professed Christians. They tend to come at you with the Bible as though it's the equivalent of the hanging sword of Damocles.
Poor Baptist Fundie. So glad he wasn't a teacher and principal. He would have had to accept any student (and their parents) who walked through the front door.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:36 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Poor Baptist Fundie. So glad he wasn't a teacher and principal. He would have had to accept any student (and their parents) who walked through the front door.
Seriously? You’re comparing public schools with private churches?

Old 02-24-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Seriously? You’re comparing public schools with private churches?

Oh...are churches really private? Among the many in my community, their electronic signs seem to emphasize messages that include that 'everyone is welcome'. Or are you saying that everyone is not really welcome? So I guess they're lying.

But straighten me out. Who did Jesus turn away from him?

Old 02-24-2024, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Oh...are churches really private? Among the many in my community, their electronic signs seem to emphasize messages that include that 'everyone is welcome'. Or are you saying that everyone is not really welcome? So I guess they're lying.

But straighten me out. Who did Jesus turn away from him?
Yes, churches are private. They can determine who can be members and who can’t.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, churches are private. They can determine who can be members and who can’t.
Okay, so there is a lot of dishonesty in the way many churches present themselves.

And, I notice you only responded to half my post. https://christiantoday.com.au/news/h...rostitute.html

Old 02-24-2024, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Okay, so there is a lot of dishonesty in the way many churches present themselves.

And, I notice you only responded to half my post. https://christiantoday.com.au/news/h...rostitute.html
The church isn’t the only organization that has criteria for membership. That’s not being dishonest.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:22 PM

Quote:
The church isn’t the only organization that has criteria for membership. That’s not being dishonest.
So, they're not as welcoming as some of you like to pretend. That's fine. Just be honest about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality