Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I am required by my religion to tell others about Christ. Jesus himself said "Go ye into all nations and preach the gospel". So, by this, being a Christian requires me to tell people they are going to hell, that they need Jesus Christ because he is the only way to the Father. If I don't tell them, then those people even though alive are already dead. They are dead in their sin.

By who's reason is "live and let live" reasonable. To me it is not. So, is your reason greater then mine? Who reasoning is the greatest and who's do we make the ultimate descision upon. I base my reasoning upon the bible which is the Word of God.
You are going off the premise that the Bible is the one and only word of God and everything else is wrong.

This is a false premise obviously. You are not showing any respect for the beliefs of other people. It's your way for everyone huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
I am for change - maybe in regards to women's rights, political etc but not for watering down Islam's basic fundamental beliefs...
and how does this work? How do you change one belief without "watering it down"?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I am required by my religion to tell others about Christ. Jesus himself said "Go ye into all nations and preach the gospel". So, by this, being a Christian requires me to tell people they are going to hell, that they need Jesus Christ because he is the only way to the Father. If I don't tell them, then those people even though alive are already dead. They are dead in their sin.

By who's reason is "live and let live" reasonable. To me it is not. So, is your reason greater then mine? Who reasoning is the greatest and who's do we make the ultimate descision upon. I base my reasoning upon the bible which is the Word of God.
Fine. Go preach. I have no problem with that. But it never stops there, does it? We see every day how people attempt to inject their religious beliefs into the laws of the United States. Or worse, we see how people try to overturn US law based on their religion.

You said it yourself. You don't believe in "live and let live." You are compelled to change their beliefs. Indeed, you are required to do so by your religion.

This is the root of all evil.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:37 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,409 times
You can preach the "gospel" without a bible. Jesus taught one God and the brotherhood of man through LOVE. He didn't say go and contradict others beliefs. He wasn't that way. He loved everyone and it didn't matter who they were or what their beliefs were. Let go and let God. God doesn't need you to read and study a book to find Him although you do need to know He's there through faith. We have that faith and so do all religions. There is no right one and no wrong one because belief and faith are individual things. What you do as an individual is all that matters.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 PM

2,046 posts, read 919,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
In the 1800's, the fight for abolishment of slavery was probably the major battle against ignorance in the US.

In the 1900's, the fight for racial equality and women's rights were probably the two biggest battles agianst ignorance in the US.

In this century, I would say that religious bigotry is the force of ignorance we must battle.

This century began with the 9/11 attack. Which spotlighted what Muselm fundamentalism is all about. And in response, American Christian fundamentalists came out of the woodwork. And many of use who do not belong to either of these religions feel as though we are watching two institutions of equal ignorance, self-rightousness and bigotry battle it out.

In this century. We shall overcome religious bigotry. No more claims that one religion is correct and others are heathens. No more religious seperatism and superiority complexes. No more religious hatred and intolerance.

This, I hope will come true.
Me too, but:

Laws were passed to end slavery.

Laws were passed to end racial inequality, and to give equal rights to women. (It may not always work out that way but by law, it's there.)

No law can ever be passed to end religious bigotry. Or decide that only one religion is the "right" religion.

I wish we could all stop fighting about it but sadly, this will never happen. And it's too bad that we have all this hatred and anger because I assume all religions are primarily about love.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPbaby View Post
Me too, but:

Laws were passed to end slavery.

Laws were passed to end racial inequality, and to give equal rights to women. (It may not always work out that way but by law, it's there.)

No law can ever be passed to end religious bigotry. Or decide that only one religion is the "right" religion.

I wish we could all stop fighting about it but sadly, this will never happen. And it's too bad that we have all this hatred and anger because I assume all religions are primarily about love.
I agree, this change will not come in the form of a law. It will come as mankind goes through a paradigm shift as we enter into this futuristic time. It will not be a law, it will be a spiritual awakening.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:09 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,538 times
Quote:
I agree, this change will not come in the form of a law. It will come as mankind goes through a paradigm shift as we enter into this futuristic time. It will not be a law, it will be a spiritual awakening.

hope you don't mind me rephrasing this a bit:

it is (already) a spiritual awakening in accord with the LaW.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
Nikk wrote:
Quote:
I can understand what you said about your duty as a Christian to spread what you believe to be the word of God and I'm fine with that. However, I truly don't understand the statement I quoted above. Maybe you could elaborate on a couple of points. It sounds like you're suggesting that your particular belief has authority over all other beliefs that others might hold and that you don't feel it is necessary to give them the same freedom to express their faith in their own way. Is that what you mean or am I misunderstanding you? I am saying that the philosophy of live and let live is the most reasonable because it treats everyone fairly and as equals. That means you can follow your Christian faith without interference from anyone. It also means that every other individual has the same rights that you do. How could that possibly not be seen as reasonable? From a Christian perspective it seems like the morally correct way to treat your fellow man so I can't imagine how anyone, especially a Christian, would oppose it.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM

I went to Christian church for a while as a young kid. And they taught us that Christians are the chosen ones. They taught us that all other religions are wrong and Christianity is the truth. They taught us that Jesus is the Lord, and they basically said that if we start to question it, we will go to hell. They truely do try to brainwash the young kids in many churches.

So I can see why some people fearfully follow the Bible and are afraid to explore other things. If I spent my entire childhood going to Church and getting this type of fearful indoctrination, I might be afraid to question it too.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,695 times
Quote:
I went to Christian church for a while as a young kid. And they taught us that Christians are the chosen ones. They taught us that all other religions are wrong and Christianity is the truth. They taught us that Jesus is the Lord, and they basically said that if we start to question it, we will go to hell. They truely do try to brainwash the young kids in many churches.

So I can see why some people fearfully follow the Bible and are afraid to explore other things. If I spent my entire childhood going to Church and getting this type of fearful indoctrination, I might be afraid to question it too.
How anyone can believe that truth is relative and that opposite belief systems can lead to the same thing boggles the mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality