Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 06:03 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times

Advertisements

Ah do we have so many OBEs and fetishists now that we can have "my obe is more valid than your obe" conversations? Its almost like "You are not a real Christian(tm) unless....." conversations which we also have a lot of around here between people of faith.

Upon what basis, other than assertion, do you declare one range of OBE more "genuine" than another I wonder to myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:18 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
But if one is convinced that the physical world as we perceive is all there is, it would necessarily limit one's spectrum of inquiry.
it would also limit one's spectrum of growth, learning, and expansion.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:27 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It isn't a genuine out-of-body experience unless you are in an OR or the back of a trauma ambulance and have flat-lined. You must be able to be resuscitated and be able to tell OR personnel exactly what they said and what they did while you were "dead", otherwise it's not a credible experience.
no, what you are describing is a "near death experience."

an "out of body experience" is not the same thing, people can and do travel out of body at will. It's simply a learned skill. It may also happen spontaneously, often times during a traumatic experience.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Did you find it?
I often dream that the other "me' made it.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 PM

1,422 posts, read 952,148 times
There will be a whole string of them from woe to go...Perhaps they will all morph into The One some where some when some how. (?) And there you will be, as truly as you are...

Old 07-30-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no, what you are describing is a "near death experience."

an "out of body experience" is not the same thing, people can and do travel out of body at will. It's simply a learned skill. It may also happen spontaneously, often times during a traumatic experience.
Well my Ex told me that she used to 'leave the situation' when she was being sexually abused as a child but she never went into details as to what that involved or whether it was OOB or simply OOMind - by all accounts she gave me the impression I have is that it was OOM, which is different.

Sort of turning off in order to not have to experience what was happening to her. She said this accounted for some of the lack of details she could give because she did not mentality witness the abuse in order to record it as memory.

None of my own experiences with OOB were prompted by any traumatic event.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Sort of turning off in order to not have to experience what was happening to her. She said this accounted for some of the lack of details she could give because she did not mentality witness the abuse in order to record it as memory.
I have had traumatic experiences with yet another outcome which is that while I was very much present for them, my brain declines to recall the details after the fact. I simply blank on such things when pressed. I suppose that partly it is my subconscious separating me from the emotional content of the experience and partly it is just that i have moved on and don't dwell on negative things; time does the rest.

The human mind is capable of doing all sorts of interesting tricks under pressure or simply under some other pertinent stimulus. Which is why we need to be very reluctant to draw firm conclusion from such tricks. If we have a sensation of being separate from the body or a lucid dream about being separate from the body then the simplest explanation is that the mind is (mal)functioning atypically.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:26 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
I'm not a believer in true astral travel. I'd have to see someone go to another country and have it verified that (s)he heard someone say or do something. So far I've never seen any proof forthcoming.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If we have a sensation of being separate from the body or a lucid dream about being separate from the body then the simplest explanation is that the mind is (mal)functioning atypically.
Sure - if you have a need to know 'how' believe whatever you want.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:57 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Sure - if you have a need to know 'how' believe whatever you want.
I have no idea what you mean by that.

I was suggesting, in the spirit of agnosticism, which is what you are, that we be reluctant to draw firm conclusions, and then I identified the most likely explanation that serves as a rational default. Do you have a specific problem with that? Or have you predetermined that such experiences MUST mean something more fanciful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality