Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:59 PM

307 posts, read 479,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Ha! Good rant, Hurley. I do have to quibble with one part:

Jesus was an illiterate carpenter. Accordingly, he didn't actually write any of his book himself. This fact, of course, only serves to make your proposition even more clear.
Oh dear. Please believe me when I say it is immaterial to me how or why you have decided there is no God. God gave us a free will and with freedom of choice comes consequences, which we know to be true in our everyday lives.

I digress. Please get your research in order before making an ignorant and false statement regarding the literacy of Jesus Christ. By the time he was twelve years old, this 'illiterate' would-be-carpenter was astounding the priests in the temple with his knowledge of scripture and God. Luke 2 v 41-48
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 05:13 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
By the time he was twelve years old, this 'illiterate' would-be-carpenter was astounding the priests in the temple with his knowledge of scripture and God. Luke 2 v 41-48
But perpetuating the idea that a kid with symptoms belying epileptic seizures is possessed by demons. Matthew 17:14-17

Old 05-10-2009, 05:19 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Oh dear. Please believe me when I say it is immaterial to me how or why you have decided there is no God. God gave us a free will and with freedom of choice comes consequences, which we know to be true in our everyday lives.

I digress. Please get your research in order before making an ignorant and false statement regarding the literacy of Jesus Christ. By the time he was twelve years old, this 'illiterate' would-be-carpenter was astounding the priests in the temple with his knowledge of scripture and God. Luke 2 v 41-48

Every time you lie, you make baby Jesus cry.

Imagine how disappointed I was to go to those verses and find nothing about Jesus reading.

Quote:
46After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.
So, now why do you think Jesus didn't write any of the bible for himself? Did he think what he said wasn't important?

Jesus was a carpenter with a beard, (just like Bob Villa). Reading wasn't Jesus's strong point. He was more of a drywall kind of guy.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:

One can be a great orator and illiterate. Being able to read does not take away from your ability to be a potent speaker. But if you still can't read , then you are still illiterate. Oral history is still to this day an extremely potent tool in many societies.

If Jesus existed ( which is yet to be proven even as simply a historical character) then it would be highly unlikely that a young Jewish boy from a poor background would have been schooled as those instructed in the Talmud were a tiny part of the population ( less than 5% at current estimates looking at contemporary records) .

One can absorb knowledge without having the slightest formal education. I think you are mixing intelligence and the ability to memorise and literacy.
I have no doubt that if Jesus existed he was perfectly capable of picking up knowledge orally.

However one wonders why a literate Jesus would not write down his philosophy ( hiring a scribe if he couldn't find the time) so that his exact teachings could NEVER be distorted. He could have not only written them down but had them translated into Latin, Greek and whichever other languages of the time would have made sense.

I would have thought he would realise the importance of his legacy and make a bit more of an effort to ensure that it could never be changed or altered to suit our own selfish agenda and motives. It seems very odd to me that we have no contemporary documents from his era, especially if as you imply he was indeed literate.

I don't know about you but with such a heavy burden of respnsibility to ensure the eternal salvation of every human you came after me, I would not only have had it written and translated but had thousands and thousands of copies sent to all the parts of the known world, and ensured a lasting and legacy.

But the basic point is that Jesus is highly unlikely to have even been able to write his name as only Talmudic scholars ( for the strict application of Mosaic Law), those destined to the Priesthood and maybe high administrative tasks in government would have had the ability to read and write.

Not that it detracts from anyone's intelligence. The world since the dawn of time has functioned perfectly well without literacy and I do not judge someone's intellectual ability by their literacy. In Jesus' case though his literacy and willingness to use it would have solved quite a lot of theological arguments ( which as son of god he would have known about) ...

Old 05-11-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
And communist.
And don't forget sexually perverted. My, my don't we all make a pretty picture !
Communists, satanists, perverted muslims ! Is there anything to add to this delightful vision of Atheism...

Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 AM

53 posts, read 70,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And don't forget sexually perverted. My, my don't we all make a pretty picture !
Communists, satanists, perverted muslims ! Is there anything to add to this delightful vision of Atheism...
Liberal and tolerant - I didn't know they were insults until I started looking at forums like this!

Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs42 View Post
Liberal and tolerant - I didn't know they were insults until I started looking at forums like this!

How could I forget Liberal and Tolerant ! {{{{ Shudder}}}} ! Pass the inverted cross and let us sing some bawdy hymn to the evil dark one with "Das Kapital" clutched to our chests ....

Seriously though it is incredible in the 21st Century how many people have so many misconceptions about Atheists ( well in the US anyway, in Europe we are simply incorporated into the fold of society, almost as normal individuals !) . I really cannot believe some of the stuff I read on a daily basis on C.D . It worries me that those people consider themselves the enlightened ones when they lack even the most basic of education and intellectual curiosity and the slightest of grasps on reality.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 AM

53 posts, read 70,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
How could I forget Liberal and Tolerant ! {{{{ Shudder}}}} ! Pass the inverted cross and let us sing some bawdy hymn to the evil dark one with "Das Kapital" clutched to our chests ....

Seriously though it is incredible in the 21st Century how many people have so many misconceptions about Atheists ( well in the US anyway, in Europe we are simply incorporated into the fold of society, almost as normal individuals !) . I really cannot believe some of the stuff I read on a daily basis on C.D . It worries me that those people consider themselves the enlightened ones when they lack even the most basic of education and intellectual curiosity and the slightest of grasps on reality.
Meh! Reality is over-rated - now where are those beer volcanoes?
It is bizarre how you have no idea what most people have going on in their heads - I had a newly qualified nurse friend at work who was a fundamental Christian - seemed fine, in her general nursing abilities, but didn't "believe" in evolution or genetics! How had she even managed to qualify? I have no idea! Well, she is very young, so hopefully will work some stuff out eventually!

Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 AM

179 posts, read 536,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I do understand what you mean Ultimate but of course, you are only thinking about the best and most comforting parts and forgetting all the rest that was attached....like a woman that after leaving an abusive husband misses the fact that he brought home a nice paycheck.
But the trade offs are more than compensating once the habits of old thoughts fade away.
interesting way of thinking of it!
thanks.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 AM

159 posts, read 532,205 times
Quote:

Did you get his autograph too?

and if god gave us free will to choose, then christians should stop preaching to us normal people about being "saved" and quoting these BS bible quotes. Did this Luke person ever have a last name? Please, nobody wants to hear about how your "on fire for jesus" or how god magically knighted you to "spread the word" while you were on the comode last wednesday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality