Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 01:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Maybe the medical analogy wasn't the best, but c'est la view.

Anyway all truths from the scientific method are conditional. Science creates an evolving understanding of the natural world through trial and error. However it doesn't reach "The Truth" because that's not even its intent.

Besides which science requires human perception. From a materialist sense human perception is just that of a naked and evolved ape. What says that even our perception of "hypothesizes and proves or disproves that hypothesis" is totally right? For that matter I believe Hume, an agnostic, argued that testing hypotheses may in itself not prove anything. What if the octillionth time I throw a rock in the air it flies to the Moon or turns into a platypus. I don't think that would happen, but it's possible I can't know such.

Yet if science is the only method of discovering the Truth than this means the Truth is unknowable as science is limited. Both by our perception and its own nature.

Now if instead you postulate a being or library that has all answers than that means there is a Truth. The Truth exists and is in this repository you may call the Noosphere or the Library of Babel or God. Access to that Truth, through revelation, is therefore superior to the groping around of our mammalian minds. This is why things like Angels or Purgatory are True in a way that things like Relativity or Evolution are not. It's not because I disbelieve in Evolution or Relativity, I believe both are accurate so far as they go, but it's because both are conditional and will always need refinement.
I think the key here is repeatability. It is certainly easy to think that there are superior truths out there which can only be accessed by meditation or prayer or some such. But where are they? Science deminstrates the validity of its findings by making predictions and seeing them pan out, and by repeatability.

A postulated library of Truth (why capitalize it? I only do that when I refer to Religious ruth meaning Faith, not 'what actually is') sounds very nice. I sometimed think that an afterlife would be eternal access to a library of everything.

But there no evidence that any such thing exists. Like the afterlife, the anecdotes are unrepeatable and do not yield results. That is evidence that it doesn't exist. If it doesn't, then to call it superior to science is a bit illogical.

Science is limited. Of course it is. We may never get at all the facts. It may be frustrating, but I can't see that inventing an imaginary library ot Truth is any improvement.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:07 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
i have got another question based on the biblical doctrine.what happens to non-believers are they damned for hell? what compels me to this subject is is the fact that people in the past have died without ever knowing the christian doctrine?

Think about bush men in the heart of Africa, that are isolated from the urban life and activities and they know nothing about Christianity or heard of Jesus are they accounted for hell too?

God can't be that ignorant can he?
I don't feel that the Creator would damb those who have never heard his word and to say that he would is a little narrow minded. There are tribes in the wilderness that have yet to see another soul, so how could a loving father be so mean as to creat these far off tribes, just to send them to hell for not accepting Christ as thier savior? And why would anyone see themselves as being so self righteous to say "Yes" God will damb them all, because I found Jesus?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I don't feel that the Creator would damb those who have never heard his word and to say that he would is a little narrow minded. There are tribes in the wilderness that have yet to see another soul, so how could a loving father be so mean as to creat these far off tribes, just to send them to hell for not accepting Christ as thier savior? And why would anyone see themselves as being so self righteous to say "Yes" God will damb them all, because I found Jesus?
Well, dambbit, I think you're right.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:01 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:

Makes sense to me....

Old 07-05-2009, 02:33 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times
Default Rock to Platypus

As a matter of fact yes: if you throw the rock into the air 3 or 4 trillion times, Werner Heisenberg's "Uncertainty Principle" would imply that indeed the rock would turn into a platypus during one of those throws. Also, because electron clouds are 99.9999% empty space if you ran into a brick wall 3-4 Tr times one of those times you'd probably cleanly pass through it to the other side (if you timed it JUST RIGHT).

This is all that I'm going to offer to this discussion of life and salvation of the ignorant unwashed masses in Africa or where-ever. It's just way to deep for my malformed ape-brain to fathom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Maybe the medical analogy wasn't the best, but c'est la view.

Anyway all truths from the scientific method are conditional. Science creates an evolving understanding of the natural world through trial and error. However it doesn't reach "The Truth" because that's not even its intent.

Besides which science requires human perception. From a materialist sense human perception is just that of a naked and evolved ape. What says that even our perception of "hypothesizes and proves or disproves that hypothesis" is totally right? For that matter I believe Hume, an agnostic, argued that testing hypotheses may in itself not prove anything. What if the octillionth time I throw a rock in the air it flies to the Moon or turns into a platypus. I don't think that would happen, but it's possible I can't know such.

Yet if science is the only method of discovering the Truth than this means the Truth is unknowable as science is limited. Both by our perception and its own nature.

Now if instead you postulate a being or library that has all answers than that means there is a Truth. The Truth exists and is in this repository you may call the Noosphere or the Library of Babel or God. Access to that Truth, through revelation, is therefore superior to the groping around of our mammalian minds. This is why things like Angels or Purgatory are True in a way that things like Relativity or Evolution are not. It's not because I disbelieve in Evolution or Relativity, I believe both are accurate so far as they go, but it's because both are conditional and will always need refinement.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:59 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well, dambbit, I think you're right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Makes sense to me....
Wow ! I actually said something that didn't tick someone off ?! Thanks ya'all .

Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Wow ! I actually said something that didn't tick someone off ?! Thanks ya'all .
We are Mr Nice atheist

Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonhead View Post
this is such a joke. it infuriates me that people perpetuate such ignorance. oh so what...God created us to serve him, exhault his name, kiss his feet and beg for forgivness or we burn in hell. and we deserve it simply because of Adam and Eve's fall? what a pretty picture you paint. no God of mine is so heartless to sit atop a perch and truly do this to people. what about children that die within hours of being born? I guess you have some way to explain that.
Yes I do and his name is Jesus Christ. Jesus will be the judge and he is a good and righteous judge. He is a person and not some mathematical formula or some despot. He is loving and mercyful. We worship him because he is God, because he is holy and worthy. He does not need our worship, we freely give it because we know who he is and who we are.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Yes I do and his name is Jesus Christ. Jesus will be the judge and he is a good and righteous judge. He is a person and not some mathematical formula or some despot. He is loving and mercyful. We worship him because he is God, because he is holy and worthy. He does not need our worship, we freely give it because we know who he is and who we are.
Thank you oh thank you Nikk. You have done atheism an untold service..
"He does not need our worship," You heard it here, folks. Save your breath.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:26 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Jesus will be the judge and he is a good and righteous judge. He is a person and not some mathematical formula or some despot. He is loving and mercyful. We worship him because he is God, because he is holy and worthy. He does not need our worship, we freely give it because we know who he is and who we are.
Translation: you believe these things. You really need to stop making declarations that sound like facts, when they're only your take on the topic at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality