Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,301,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
What you're talking about are mathematical probabilities. You can't physically observe a mathematical probability to verify infinite probabilities. It would be just as easy to say, based on infinite probabilities, that the Angkor Wat carving doesn't exist at all. Oddly enough though, it seems to be there.

So I take your reply to mean that you have no idea if dinos and people co-existed together 900 years ago.
Mathematical probabilities are only an abstraction describing the probabilities of an event taking place. Math is only useful in validating - it is not a theory in itself.

And yes, the opposite case could be made, like you stated.

And like I posted before. I don't know if they co-existed together, but if QT is correct than it is possible. Which I think anyone would recognize if they understood QT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Deduction? NO, you merely assumed, and we all know the little ditty about that one, now don't we.

If you don't want to be accused of being a "mind reader", don't pretend to be one.
I'm sure I don't know what "ditty" you're referring to.

And don't assume I assumed because ...well ... you know how that goes.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:44 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,418,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
When you dream, do you dream in specific dates and events - or do you dream in symbols, metaphors, pictures and emotions?

For the most part people dream in metaphor. That is how the mind understands the world. So wouldn't it make sense that our stories used to describe the world, would also be comprised of metaphor? In fact, you could argue that metaphor is the hallmark of intelligence. Because it implies abstraction, and many different meanings and perspectives. There are not many animals besides humans that can do this.

As for unicorns - they represent something. Innocence lost perhaps.
Attempting to disclaim and ignore plain scientific evidences and facts to further one's religion is not thinking in metaphors, it is a dangerous practice that has led to such atrocities as the several Crusades, Inquasitions, Jihads, and the attempted systematic destruction of ancient cultures and religions on each and every continent save one.

Antartica.

I seriously doubt anyone on this forum, Athiest, non-Abrahamic Theist, or other has a problem with religion in general.

But when people get in your face with their religion and their refusal to acknowledge widely known scientific fact, then some people, regardless of religious affiliation or not, feel the need to attempt to correct that person, or merely ridicule them for their purposeful ignorance.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I'm sure I don't know what "ditty" you're referring to.

And don't assume I assumed because ...well ... you know how that goes.
And now you're going to be obtuse.
So noted.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Your last sentence helped me understand, represents. Gotta cha. No to me still doesn't jive.
And I dream mostly specific, sometime with Matthew Mcconaughey! Are you by chance Native American?
I dream specific too - Viggo Mortensen . And yes I am .

Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Attempting to disclaim and ignore plain scientific evidences and facts to further one's religion is not thinking in metaphors, it is a dangerous practice that has led to such atrocities as the several Crusades, Inquasitions, Jihads, and the attempted systematic destruction of ancient cultures and religions on each and every continent save one.

Antartica.

I seriously doubt anyone on this forum, Athiest, non-Abrahamic Theist, or other has a problem with religion in general.

But when people get in your face with their religion and their refusal to acknowledge widely known scientific fact, then some people, regardless of religious affiliation or not, feel the need to attempt to correct that person, or merely ridicule them for their purposeful ignorance.
You forget one important fact. Civilization. Civilization has done more destruction than all other belief systems combined. Does this mean you are going to fade into the wilderness and survive off of moss and tree bark? I don't think so.

I understand your frustration with people who call themselves Christian. I have the same frustration. But I think there may be a better way to express it than attacking the faith system as a whole.

There are ignorant people under many different labels. The label does not matter.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
You forget one important fact. Civilization. Civilization has done more destruction than all other belief systems combined. Does this mean you are going to fade into the wilderness and survive off of moss and tree bark? I don't think so.

I understand your frustration with people who call themselves Christian. I have the same frustration. But I think there may be a better way to express it than attacking the faith system as a whole.

There are ignorant people under many different labels. The label does not matter.
Please list which wars were started to promote "civilization".

And if you had bothered to read my posts, you would see that I do not attack their entire faith system, nor do I even lump the adherents of each of the Abrahamics into one general group.

I am a pantheist, I believe ALL deities exist, and ALL created by the concentrated will of many people over a period of time, including Jehovah.

I vigorously attack the theopolitical aspects of the organized religions.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,645,288 times
Quote:
Mathematical probabilities are only an abstraction describing the probabilities of an event taking place. Math is only useful in validating - it is not a theory in itself.

And yes, the opposite case could be made, like you stated.

And like I posted before. I don't know if they co-existed together, but if QT is correct than it is possible. Which I think anyone would recognize if they understood QT.

I'm not disageeing with QT, but if you related everything solely on the basis of infinite probabilities, then no one would ever have an understanding of anything because there would always be an infinite number of other probabilities. Like it or not, there are layers of scales, including the particular scale of existence we occupy. That said, we make decisions and have understandings that are based on what we know at the present time. That knowledge is based on events of the past. And based on events and discoveries of the past that we know about, we can either conclude that (1) a stegosaur existed in Cambodia along with people 900 years ago, or (2) stegosaurs have been extinct for millions of years and have never existed with people.

Do you think the Angkor Wat carving resembles a stegosaur?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Please list which wars were started to promote "civilization".

And if you had bothered to read my posts, you would see that I do not attack their entire faith system, nor do I even lump the adherents of each of the Abrahamics into one general group.

I am a pantheist, I believe ALL deities exist, and ALL created by the concentrated will of many people over a period of time, including Jehovah.

I vigorously attack the theopolitical aspects of the organized religions.
I don't believe in organized religion either, I think that much we can agree upon.

As far as civilization goes, I won't argue that here since that is another debate entirely. But if you want to know a well known proponent of my position you can look up Daniel Quinn and his book Ishmael.

Its been a nice debate. All assuming aside .

Old 07-27-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'm not disageeing with QT, but if you related everything solely on the basis of infinite probabilities, then no one would ever have an understanding of anything because there would always be an infinite number of other probabilities. Like it or not, there are layers of scales, including the particular scale of existence we occupy. That said, we make decisions and have understandings that are based on what we know at the present time. That knowledge is based on events of the past. And based on events and discoveries of the past that we know about, we can either conclude that (1) a stegosaur existed in Cambodia along with people 900 years ago, or (2) stegosaurs have been extinct for millions of years and have never existed with people.

Do you think the Angkor Wat carving resembles a stegosaur?
I think the crux of this debate is that we disagree on what can be considered reality. If reality is absolute than QT is not valid. But if reality is relative, then it is. Like I said before, one instance does not matter when you are debating theory. The same can be said for many myths and beliefs.

For all we know thought can influence reality, and so the belief that something happened or didn't can have a physical effect. I'm not saying its true. Just saying we don't know enough to discount it. I think in any case, its best to keep an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality