Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 02:18 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,702,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I dream specific too - Viggo Mortensen . And yes I am .
I thought so, would not have guessed Viggo though!!

I have a great respect for the native Americas, not to get into specifics, but my family and millions more were subject to great atrocities against them as well. I dont believe in myths and folklore, but I find the Native Americans have some beautiful ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,903,206 times
Bible says earth was dark and void . Just like science today said it was when the dinasours were killed off.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,306,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I thought so, would not have guessed Viggo though!!

I have a great respect for the native Americas, not to get into specifics, but my family and millions more were subject to great atrocities against them as well. I dont believe in myths and folklore, but I find the Native Americans have some beautiful ones.
Thanks Nea1. So we do have something in common ? I'm sorry for what I said about the spiders not liking you by the way. I'm sure they do .

Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,702,019 times
Quote:
Thanks Nea1. So we do have something in common ? I'm sorry for what I said about the spiders not liking you by the way. I'm sure they do .
No problem,, and no they dont!!! And probably safer they dont!! I do like snakes though!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,663,555 times
Quote:
I think the crux of this debate is that we disagree on what can be considered reality. If reality is absolute than QT is not valid. But if reality is relative, then it is. Like I said before, one instance does not matter when you are debating theory. The same can be said for many myths and beliefs.

For all we know thought can influence reality, and so the belief that something happened or didn't can have a physical effect. I'm not saying its true. Just saying we don't know enough to discount it. I think in any case, its best to keep an open mind.

I completely agree with you. Realities vary from person to person. The reason being that the concept of a reality is based what an individual perceives to be a reality. I also agree that there are shared realities which are based on a mutual agreement between two or more people, but still have degrees of slight variences in perceptions based on individual experiences.

In the sense of common realities, we can find some degree of mutual understanding that we can generally agree or disagree on. And that is the point of the question: Do you think the Angkor Wat carving represents a stegosaur? If you do, then do you think it was alive during the time of the artisans who made the carving? It's really not all that hard to answer. No one, at least I'm not, going to run you into the ground for what you think it might be. I find it hard to believe that you don't at least have some idea of what YOU think it is. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong. Nor does it have anything to do with keeping an open mind or not.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,427,492 times
Quote:
I don't believe in organized religion either, I think that much we can agree upon.

As far as civilization goes, I won't argue that here since that is another debate entirely. But if you want to know a well known proponent of my position you can look up Daniel Quinn and his book Ishmael.

Its been a nice debate. All assuming aside .
You're correct, a philisophical discussion on the supposed superiority of man as a species, one I've never supported, would be too far off topic.

However, I think that a basic debate on the merits, or demerits, of the continued fraudulent activities of organized religion on this thread, including comparisons to other societal structures, ie "civiliation", would be well within the topic thread.

"Civilization", as if it could be nailed down to one catagory, isn;t responsible for wars OR atrocities. Neither has been commited in the name of "civilization".

Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,427,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Bible says earth was dark and void . Just like science today said it was when the dinasours were killed off.
Look up the word "void" please.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,472,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Look up the word "void" please.
look up the word dark, and water -there was no heaven, no light, no earth dirt; nothing but the ingredients from which the LORD God would form the finished products of creation from.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
look up the word dark, and water -there was no heaven, no light, no earth dirt; nothing but the ingredients from which the LORD God would form the finished products of creation from.
And those ingredients were???

Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,059,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Your lawd gawd created your lil' universe and wurlde, for the rest of us, we trust science and acknowledge evolution.

Maybe in you "infinite" wisdom, you can explain to us how there are;

Antarctic Ice cores that so far date back hundreds of thousands of years.

Explain how the Kango and Sudwala caves (oldest in the world) in South Africa have stalagmites and stalactites that by measurement alone and observed growth stats out date your bible and esp the alleged flood.

The Victoria Waterfalls gorges are dated at 100,000 years old.

Many lake varves all over the world show a history older that the bible account of 6k years

Once you can answer these simple geological FACTS, then I will listen to your babble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality