Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,429,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie in ear View Post
Oh, a USA moral code????

Point me to it....please....
Look in any Law Code in the Nation, whether Federal, State, or Local.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,711,602 times
Quote:
Oh, I see, and those 'german' and 'irish' codes were not in any way influenced by Christianity????

LMAO

errr...perhaps you would do better to be honest with yourself.

and, BTW...which of these many different moral codes across the globe say it's fine to kill whomever you like or to steal someone's money or spouse or to disrespect one's parents????
Which one?

All the same stuff ...all the same heart in each of us...all the same darkness we're trying to be free of....all the same code in each of us...
Regarding your last little statement.... there are many cultures and groups of people who think it's perfectly ok to kill whomever you like and steal someones money or spouse. There are nomadic groups that will think nothing of killing you and stealing your money. There are religions that kill whomever they want as long as it's in the name of 'god'.

Morals evolved () sociologically to better our species. It's not okay to kill because it hurts other people (empathy) and that is one less person to procreate and advance the species. Disrespecting one's parents is bad because they raised you, housed you, fed you, clothed you and to say thanks, you are respectful.

As for the stealing... well... there are PLENTY of people, religious or not, that steal anything they can get their hands on if they think think they can get away with it.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:33 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,429,577 times
Quote:
.....and, BTW...which of these many different moral codes across the globe say it's fine to kill whomever you like or to steal someone's money or spouse or to disrespect one's parents????...
Why don't you point to someone who claims those are "moral".

Or are all your "arguments" ad hominems and non sequitur fallacies?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:36 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,583,262 times
Quote:
Perfect.

Here is an example of the whole poignant mess.

Obviously it CAN NOT be proven....soooooo throw it out!

Let's all live like our own puny opinions are God and throw out everything that can not be proven by our own human wobbly scientific methods.
Such is the travesty of materialism.
Humans are more than what science can tinker with.

Materialism LIMITS every aspect of life. It shuts ALL doors on possiblity and the miraculous and really, LIFE...which is beyond the grasp of science.

We are inches away from barbarism.
Well now, that's special. You make a statement and are asked to provide proof of it. Instead, you ignore the request (your assertion being unprovable) and attack.

Do you really expect to gain support by these tactics?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
And what moral code would you live by?

Shall i have free reign to steal your goods and family if i can get away with it?

Mafia code perhaps?
Go for it. I of course have the moral imperative to defend what is mine. Perhaps your DNA will tell you that you are in danger.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:39 PM

282 posts, read 527,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
1. Your religion, and your god, are counted among the youngest on the planet.

2. Each and every myth and miracle in your bible have been disproven by simple sciences. And what I find quite eloquent is that science wasn't even TRYING to disprove those subjects.

3. Your bible is chocked full of self-contradictions.

4. I would really love to find out why Christers go off on these unrelated tangents, especially such a blatant, and lame, attempt to compare Atheists, and we non-Abrahamic Theists, to communist Russia of the Cold War era. Sorry to inform you, but the USSR is dead, and so is that argument.

5. This Nation wasn't founded on Christian principles or your religion, and we have done quite well for ourselves, DESPITE theocrats trying to impose their relgiion on everyone else throughout our history.
1)....so if it was older you would believe it? nonsense...you don't believe Taosim. So what?...how old does a revelation have to be to work for you?

2) What i find amusing is that you believe with just as much passion a bunch of nerds with government funding to stay employed over scripture that has been the core of countless cultures for two thousands years just because you can't tow the moral code.

3) Who's self is contradicted? yours? not mine.
If you self is contradicted in my bible i recommend you buy your own.
I find no contradictions in mine.

4) Not unrelated at all....you just are caught between a rock and a hard place and are seeking a slippery way out.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:40 PM

[quote=pie in ear;10609697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post

Sorry you failed to grasp the message.

perhaps it would be more of an answer if we had it scientifically tested?
Perhaps if you HAD an answer we might be able to grasp it. Instead, you go off on a theist tangent trying to not provide an answer to a simple question.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Regarding your last little statement.... there are many cultures and groups of people who think it's perfectly ok to kill whomever you like and steal someones money or spouse. There are nomadic groups that will think nothing of killing you and stealing your money. There are religions that kill whomever they want as long as it's in the name of 'god'.

Morals evolved () sociologically to better our species. It's not okay to kill because it hurts other people (empathy) and that is one less person to procreate and advance the species. Disrespecting one's parents is bad because they raised you, housed you, fed you, clothed you and to say thanks, you are respectful.

As for the stealing... well... there are PLENTY of people, religious or not, that steal anything they can get their hands on if they think think they can get away with it.
I"m not saying that moral codes aren't broken...

Bulloney...there are NOT many cultures that say it's okay to kill whomever you like, unless they are some lost jungle tribe of savages. Does that suit you more?
so you recommend we live like nomadic tribes?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Go for it. I of course have the moral imperative to defend what is mine. Perhaps your DNA will tell you that you are in danger.
So that's the kind of society you'd opt for?

Whoever has the bigger gun gets his justice?

inches from barbarism...you get what you believe in.

Last edited by pie in ear; 09-04-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Well now, that's special. You make a statement and are asked to provide proof of it. Instead, you ignore the request (your assertion being unprovable) and attack.

Do you really expect to gain support by these tactics?

You know, you're right. It may not be a part of everyone's DNA...i'm getting that feeling more and more in this thread.

BTW...I'm not here to gain any support and the only tactics are your evasions and silly "prove it's" that are not the stuff of any constructive discussion.

shall you prove to me how your scientists were born?
Who was the first to beget them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality