Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 07:23 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,365,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Denial, especially for personal psychological reasons, is far too powerful to ever be overcome . . . even by overwhelming evidence. So I consider it a waste of time to confront your massive denial of a fairly obvious reality (Jesus) that has encompassed over 2000 years of human existence. I have THOROUGHLY studied the extant ancient writings and legends, etc. in my search of the "spiritual fossil record" of humankind. So we will simply have to agree to disagree.
You are confusing denial for attempting to prove a negative, which in absolute terms, scientifically, is impossible. This is my biggest beef with Jesus myth believers - they demand that people prove a negative (ie Jesus never existed) which is impossible for a number of reasons.

But let's ignore that for a moment and move on to why I, personally, believe Jesus never existed:

Your arguments that Jesus existed a little more than 2000 years ago and that since any "myth" which perpetuates so long is proof of said existence is flimsy. Even though Jesus was supposedly born in a backwater of the Roman Empire the Romans still kept birth records and it is true that they kept death records of those who they executed too. To have a governor of said backwater to pardon a known felon and instead kill a person with flimsy evidence to any crimes would also attract attention, especially if he was the sort of general looking to advance himself. The lack of evidence that they executed a person under these strange circumstances is one way of saying he never existed. Further, the lack of documentation of unbiased reports (a person performing miracles in the middle of the desert and feeding thousands would definitely attract attention, if not the Roman Empire consuls) that anyone named Jesus was doing amazing things is another point of evidence to me that he never existed (and since you have exhaustively researched the history of Christianity, you must agree with me here, otherwise you are buying in to disproven and/or compromised sources besides the Bible).

"So what?" one may argue, "There have been 2000 years since his existence, and the existence of our great-great-great-great grandfathers are likely lost too. Not to mention the dark ages destroyed much of ancient knowledge, and after them, the Muslims ruled the holy land and actively quelched or subjugated any non-Muslim believers." This is a valid point, and one which I cannot refute. However, of the documentation surrounding his birth, life, and "life after death", as well as the circumstances of his family, I can show parallels between Jesus and many many other ancient deities. This shows that indeed ancient documentation may have been destroyed, but what survives looks awfully like other more ancient religions (and since you've exhaustively researched these beforehand, you must agree with me):

- born to a virgin and worshipped after birth by three kings who were guided to his birthplace by a star

- called the "lamb of god" "savior of mankind" "son of god" and many others

- performed miracles like healing the sick, turning water into wine, feeding many from little, and so on

- was a prophet and religious prodigy

- was prosecuted, died, and on the third day rose from the dead

Sound familiar? If you asked believers in Osiris, Buddha, Mithra, and many many other deities, they would answer "yes" too, because all these ancient belief systems which revolved around one god (even if it was polytheistic) had the same myth stories. And we all know ancient Egyptian sun worship, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. are older than Christianity, so it throws the birth of said mythical figure into question.

Thus, my conclusion is that Jesus worship is nothing more than a slightly different twist on ancient sun worship. Even the resurrection story is rooted in ancient mythology. Think of yourself as an ancient farmer. Life is very hard. Death surrounds you, work is hard, and not only that, you run the risk of raiders, ancient government soldiers taking you away on a ruler's whim, excruciating taxes, etc. Further, the world is a mystery to you since science has not explained the seasons, the weather, disease, etc. But you are observant, and can tell stories which are linked to the seasons. So, the stories are surrounded by observations, like the winter solstice. In the northern hemisphere the sun appears to drop to the horizon as the season changes to winter, and in the dead of winter, the highest point of the day appears to not dip any more, for three days. After the third day, the Earth rotates back slightly, thus the solstice, bringing the promise of new life and a new harvest next year. Sound familiar? The sun dies, and on the third day, rises again. Any stories to make me think forward to a new harvest would definitely make me happier.

This is not to say that religion is incapable of incredible good. Mother Theresa and other figures, large and small, some of whom I know, are testaments to that. However, I personally choose not to believe what I consider a lie and thus would rather do good and prevent harm based on my inherent belief that other humans are worthy of my efforts. And I personally believe that many religious people, deep down, also believe humans are worth their efforts too, otherwise, what are they doing what they do that for? Going to heaven? The Bible itself said that doing good just for the sake of going to heaven will not get a rotten heart up there as well. I think not. People deep down believe other people are worth it. Otherwise us as a species would not have gotten this far.

And THAT is the only thing to me which proves time makes a testament to - our own willingness to survive, and thrive.

Peace be unto you.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM

282 posts, read 526,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Hmm, wasn't I susposed to feel like reeally, really guilty by now?
no, why would you?

You'll get what you pay for....we all do.

...but the fact that you don't get it is not his responsibility...he tried.
He's gone as far as he could without casting more pearls before swine.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:10 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,122 times
Quote:
Denial, especially for personal psychological reasons, is far too powerful to ever be overcome . . . even by overwhelming evidence. So I consider it a waste of time to confront your massive denial of a fairly obvious reality (Jesus) that has encompassed over 2000 years of human existence. I have THOROUGHLY studied the extant ancient writings and legends, etc. in my search of the "spiritual fossil record" of humankind. So we will simply have to agree to disagree.
Denial? Overwhelming evidence?

We need a ROFLH emote.

Please, feel free to share some of this overwhelming evidence I am apperently in denial over.

And once again, the locic fallacy of age means absolutely nothing in proving your Christ. There are many Deities much, much older.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie in ear View Post
no, why would you?

...but the fact that you don't get it is not his responsibility...he tried.
He's gone as far as he could without casting more pearls before swine.
Again, prove he even existed in the first place.

Added in edit - And the whole guilt thing is designed to bring people into the flock as well. too bad this isn't the medeivel ages when that worked on everyone.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:03 AM

282 posts, read 526,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Again, prove he even existed in the first place.

Added in edit - And the whole guilt thing is designed to bring people into the flock as well. too bad this isn't the medeivel ages when that worked on everyone.
I don't need to prove it...although it is well documented in secular jewish history of the day.

I'm fine with Him.

You would need to prove He didn't exist.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,560,540 times
Quote:
There is NO QUESTION that Jesus existed and exists spiritually.
Of course there is a question, or it would not be continually asked. Because you believe something does not mean that it is true, merely that you believe it.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 AM

[quote=pie in ear;10628255]
Quote:
no, why would you?

YOU certainly better hope you are wrong

Old 09-06-2009, 10:10 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie in ear View Post
I don't need to prove it...although it is well documented in secular jewish history of the day.
Huh?? Care to produce any of that "secular Jewish history" for us....and please....not Josephus!!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:10 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Of course there is a question, or it would not be continually asked. Because you believe something does not mean that it is true, merely that you believe it.
Let me clarify . . . "Spiritually" as I use it to refer to Jesus's existence means within the consciousness of humankind . . . can you dispute that?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Let me clarify . . . "Spiritually" as I use it to refer to Jesus's existence means within the consciousness of humankind . . . can you dispute that?
Yes. By your definition, athiests are human. Your "truth" does not exist in their consciousness. IE: you are making claims for all based only on your beliefs.

Poor method of debating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality