Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 12:35 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,472,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
So what my son is working on his Master, complete with a public school education
Good for him. I was only coming back because of the slander of homeschooling, which slander is just from jealousy, I suppose, as Homeschooled kids score higher on tests, nationally, than public schooled kids. In general, Homechooled kids have more social skills than public schooled kids -at all ages.
At any rate, my kids are grown and gone, and as I said, some have grandchildren already, and all are successful, well rounded adults.

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 08-25-2009 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,196,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
You can learn about the "fixed on its foundation world" in the Bible.
You can also learn that the earth was before the heaven and the light, and you can also learn that the waters of day 1 were divided and a firmament was stretched out from and between the waters below and the waters above, on day 2.
You can also learn by that, in Genesis, that the heaven was stretched out with the light inclusive in it, which was created on day 1, before there was a heaven, and that the sun, moon, and stars were not made nor set in the heaven stretched between the waters, until day 4.
You can also learn that the days of the creation week were normal days of six evenings and mornings, and a Sabbath for YHWH to rest and enjoy His work that He had made.

FYI, Noah was instructed to hang a "sun" in the Ark, for light.
There is ambient light in caves which can be gathered by rock crystals and refracted out, giving light.

Okie-dokie, i'm currently on a search for a Talking Snake, i'll get back to you when i find one!

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the "light" coming from you particular cave.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:37 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,803,984 times
Quote:
Good for him. I was only coming back because of the slander of homeschooling, which is without merit.
Homschooling kids score higher on tests, nationally, than public schooled kids. In general, Homechooled kids have more social skills than public schooled kids -at all ages.
Do your statistics cover secular homeschooled kids? Because I imagine they are the ones responsible for the "positive" stats you cite.

I don't see creationist children having more social skills than kids educated in science and reality, since they aren't allowed to have contact with anyone outside their cult for fear that they'll learn the truth that their beliefs are utterly wrong..

Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,196,215 times
Quote:
Good for him. I was only coming back because of the slander of homeschooling, which is without merit.
Homschooling kids score higher on tests, nationally, than public schooled kids. In general, Homechooled kids have more social skills than public schooled kids -at all ages.
I'd like to see statistics for this.

My neighbor was homeschooling her 4 kids, a devoted Christian, very nice family. All 4 were held one grade behind. Eventually, she let them attend public school.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,944,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
UUmm not all are happy with flipping burgers, some become doctors and educators and scientists and have business degrees. I prefer mine to know simple science and world history rather than the earth is not a planet and that the sun is a crystal or that the earth is 6000 years old. Mine have goals alot bigger than McDonalds. Dont base all kids on your view of public school Mine happens to go to one that prepares for college has very advanced classes and is nationally recognized.

Great for them. I'm glad your kids happen to go to what may be one of the exceptions. In general education in this country lags behind many others, and it's not because of religion, but because of politicians. Because of this, homeschooled kids consistently score higher than average over public schooled kids.

This does not mean your kids are not exceptional, or that your kid's school is not above average. It just means that homeschooling, on average, is produces better educated kids than public school, on average, and religious instruction doesn't appear to be a factor.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,803,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Great for them. I'm glad your kids happen to go to what may be one of the exceptions. In general education in this country lags behind many others, and it's not because of religion, but because of politicians. Because of this, homeschooled kids consistently score higher than average over public schooled kids.

This does not mean your kids are not exceptional, or that your kid's school is not above average. It just means that homeschooling, on average, is produces better educated kids than public school, on average, and religious instruction doesn't appear to be a factor.

That may be true but we have to keep in mind that not all homeschoolers are creationists and that the majority are schooled by parents who are qualified educators and who teach legitimate science, history, geology, etc.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:54 PM

4,802 posts, read 8,767,441 times
Quote:
And how is that knowledge necessary to prepare a taco or flip a burger?
And why in the name of all that is sane, would you settle for preparing children to make a taco and/or flip burgers?

My public education schooling and I are well on our way to a Master's degree.

But then again, I don't believe that the "giant crystal" Sun revolves around the "non-planet" Earth based upon the musings of illiterate shepherds.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Do they still believe the earth is not a planet?
The earth is not moving, which is what planet means.
That is what the Word teaches us, and those who deny God's word are foolish.
You, of course, do not believe the Word of God anyway, about anything, but that is to your discredit.

The earth will move out of its place in the great tribulation, and turn upside down, however, and stagger like a drunk and jump about like a chased roe. -stars will fall, too, and some to earth! Then at the end, the heavens will be rent and rolled up like a scroll [a nuclear reaction], then the judgment, and then the regeneration of the heavens and the earth in which only the righteous will dwell.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
And why in the name of all that is sane, would you settle for preparing children to make a taco and/or flip burgers?

My public education schooling and I are well on our way to a Master's degree.

But then again, I don't believe that the "giant crystal" Sun revolves around the "non-planet" Earth.
At the same age you are, my kids were and are long finished with school in a classroom, and are tax paying members of society.
Are you a "professional student", going to school perpetually on the taxpayers dime? -My kids got scholarships and paid their own ways.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,944,451 times
Quote:
The earth is not moving, which is what planet means.
That is what the Word teaches us, and those who deny God's word are foolish.
You, of course, do not believe the Word of God anyway, about anything, but that is to your discredit.

The earth will move out of its place in the great tribulation, and turn upside down, however, and stagger like a drunk and jump about like a chased roe. -stars will fall, too, and some to earth! Then at the end, the heavens will be rent and rolled up like a scroll [a nuclear reaction], then the judgment, and then the regeneration of the heavens and the earth in which only the righteous will dwell.

Do your CHILDREN believe the earth is not a planet?

Hint: This is your chance to have an atheist defend your highly religious homeschooling of your children, ever so slightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality