Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,514,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As I said you're a useful jumping off point. The things you say manage to remind me of something I'd like to say on some topic.

This doesn't mean anything you say is mature, valid, or remotely intelligent in and of itself. Obviously someone who uses words like "Sky Daddy", and behaves as sarcastically as the above post, is at an emotionally immature stage of development. Offhand I'd guess you are one of those who maybe became atheist at 10-years-old and have remained a 10-year-old to this day. Or if it happened later you just reverted to 10. Regardless sometimes children say something that can inspire valid conversation. And in that there's some utility in reading you. Not alot, but some.

And yes I suppose your posts are like flames in a way.
Ouch. You Christians can say such ugly things. Now really, would Jesus resort to that kind of name calling?

At least in your earlier post your personal attacks were crudely and thinly veiled. Now you've dropped all pretense, and moved from passive aggressive to just aggressive. Pure name calling, nothing subtle or even clever about it. Ugly and hurtful, all at the same time.

I could stoop to your level, but I won't. (Not because I don't want to, but because I have to take my family out to dinner right now.) So I guess I only have time to respond by saying "I know you are, but what am I."

I let you have the last word, because I know how you LOVE to have the last word. You HAVE to have it. Your pelvis will explode if you don't get the last word in. Right now I can see you sitting there, hands clinched, white knuckled, teeth gritted, ready to give me some of your righteous indignation. MUST.HAVE.LAST.WORD. Well here's your chance. Give me a divine written lashing filled with insults and put downs, and make your Jesus proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,598,197 times
You're just as aggressive as I can be if not moreso. You were pretty quick to call me "trollish" etc. You can play the victim if you wish, but it's not convincing. And on the other matter Jesus actually could be sarcastic and insult people.

Still I did go wrong in the superior attitude, which is un-Christian. We're not supposed to elevate ourselves above others. You have your flaws, but I certainly have mine. I can be cold, lacking in empathy, self-centered, and unkind. You might be a better person than me even if that seems highly unlikely to me at this moment. It might not be that unlikely though. You have a family, I likely wouldn't have the patience to raise children. It wouldn't surprise me if you do more good in this world than I ever do.

I feel my impressions of your online behavior are not really wrong, but maybe I carried it too far. I don't know you as a real living breathing person. And you don't know me. Perhaps I have failed to live up to the standards I want for myself when it comes to you. It happens. Although some of what was in it had value I've deleted the post you responded to for being hostile or arrogant.

Peace Zai Jian!

Old 10-02-2009, 02:45 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,598,197 times
There were a few non-personal things in it though that I see I didn't say elsewhere.

1: I think having a positive thread on a philosophy or religion should be acceptable.

2: I think a person should be able to have a thread without its purpose being hijacked. If one, anyone, really feels this should be in the Christian forum than say that and try to get it moved. Generally I think trying to hijack a thread, even dumb threads, is discouraged and I feel many of the posts were hijacking in intent.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:46 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,887,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I believe he's basing his statements on a very specious correlation between a few countries with high levels of atheism having a somewhat higher reported level of suicide, and lower levels of reproduction.
This could, just as easily, be the christer portion of the population who suddenly realize they have been supporting organized mythology for decades.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:10 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,530,270 times
"positive"?
when everyone taking part could have a "feeling" of being taken serious and worthy of support.
when there would be a real interest in each other rather than throwing out one's own superior "knowledge", and waiting for "opponents" to mash up.

imho.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,365,426 times
I am positive they have done more harm than good, and the teachings are based on a fraud. That is as positive as I can get about Christianity.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,259,760 times
Flaws..........yes, human flaws surface when attacked to reveal some true personal characteristics not limited to anyone in particular but to everyone generically.

That is the human part of us that is a given that can only be brought into check by an external force via the conscience when the conscience is fed spiritually.

Our spiritual side needs nourishment just as our physical side does, or else we
run the risk of depression by spiritual malnourishment.

Having lost the conscience is having lost the moral compass to relate to one another respectfully.

Christianity, as a whole, collectively, despite some rotten apples, has been a strong influence all over the world as witnessed by is phenomenal growth.

Diversity within its own ranks is an essential key important element in maintaining the integrity of its message, otherwise,Christianity left unchecked would and will become, because of the human flaw element, become a dictatorship.

That is one reason why there can not be a 100% positive thread on Christianity, unless of course, all non christian negative words banned.

The same applies to any other point of view.

The positive and good thing about diversity of views, is its ability to unite despite the diversity by learning to see things through the same prism.

A single ray of light through a prism is divided into different colors, yet it is the same light from whence it comes from.

If we can learn to recognize the source of that one light beam in each one of us, then we can unite despite our different colors.

If love is the identity of that source of light, then it must mean that it is within all of us, and that only within the diversity of the experience can we truly come to grips with its source.

The only obstacle to that source surfacing within us is self.

W are all gifted in one thing or another, intelligence, wealth, health, talents of which are as like the differing colors of the prism, but yet, still, from the same source.

Placing a doctor, a lawyer, a politician, a car salesman, a custodian, a motel house maid and a garbage worker in a sinking boat needing rescue, from sinking in shark infested waters, are rescued not by classification, by because they are all human beings, throw in a dog or two.

Love one for another is that ray of light within all of us manifested only when placed in a sinking boat condition.

Blessings AJ

Old 10-03-2009, 02:19 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,629,315 times
I see the OP as a bit flawed. A creed never feed a hungry person and a belief system never jumped up and hugged a lonely soul. Only PEOPLE do that.

I would say that people operating in the TRUE SPIRIT OF CHRIST (turning the other cheek, laying down lives for others, loving others as themselves etc. etc.) have had a huge positive impact on the human condition. This spirit and action through people occurs both within and without "Christianity proper" and is something that has touched every human on the planet to some degree.

One such person (acting in the Spirit of Christ) was William Wilberforce - the father of the human rights movement as well as the founder of the first animal rights organization. Mahatma Ghandi was another.

I think fair open minded people on both sides (pro-Christianity and anti-Christianity) should be able to see both the merits and the serious flaws within Christianity. And should understand that only people effect the world positively - not religions.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:02 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,650,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post

One such person (acting in the Spirit of Christ) was William Wilberforce - the father of the human rights movement as well as the founder of the first animal rights organization. Mahatma Ghandi was another.
I really find your statement of "acting in the Spirit of Christ" to be quite disturbing, especially when you related Ghandi with it. As a little FYI, Ghandi followed Hinduism and his actions were of humanitarian drive and not acting on behalf of any spirits

Old 10-03-2009, 03:53 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,629,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
I really find your statement of "acting in the Spirit of Christ" to be quite disturbing,
I believe you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
especially when you related Ghandi with it. As a little FYI, Ghandi followed Hinduism and his actions were of humanitarian drive and not acting on behalf of any spirits
I know Gandhi (often misspelled 'Ghandi') had specific religious origins and humanitarian actions, and (I might add) as all other men he was by no means perfect. You are still seeing the world through a religious vs. secular paradigm though (I think).

If someone is a Christian and I say "Spirit of Christ" (especially in relation to someone who identified with the Hindu faith) they may possibly feel polluted (or as some even say "slimed") and that is a sure sign of religious dogma at work (which becomes disturbed at such an apparent contradictions of terms).

If you are an Atheist and I say "Spirit of Christ" then that can be disturbing as well.

For a little more information - Gandhi fought against his own religion, especially against the cast system which he saw caused inequity and opression. His acts of freeing humans from oppression is what Jesus would refer to as "fruit" (yes, I know the religion of Christianity considers "fruit" to be proper doctrinal belief and confession of faith ).

BTW - I have known atheists who are Christ-like as well (a statement which I'm sure will also disturb you until you are made free from the prejudices of religious dogma or atheistic dogma).

I stand by my statements concerning the true Spirit of Christ. Jesus did not come to found the religion of Christianity ya' know.

God bless

Last edited by firstborn888; 10-03-2009 at 04:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality