Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 PM

211 posts, read 548,611 times

Advertisements

I believe that homosexuality is a sin, but do you see me going on the gay threads and antagonizing them? NO!!!!!!! So why are you here but to antagonize and spread hatred? You've been called out for what you are doing, but it's a game to you. Childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Typically atheists are not antagonistic, street marching, protesting, or up in arms, ( although that description certainly fits some christians ) and of course we are not all the same. To say otherwise is a bigoted point of view no matter how you slice it.
I remember Madeline Murray O'Hare. The ACLU has invaded our once peaceful existence. Every night on the news I hear about more who hate Christmas and want all of the Christians off the planet. What else are we supposed to think about you?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Sure. I am god. Prove me wrong. Now tell me why I am important to you. You (and the rest of humanity) are certainly not important to me.
See? Your intention in coming here was to argue with believers and egg them on into debating with you.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:12 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
See? Your intention in coming here was to argue with believers and egg them on into debating with you.
Yea, but the strange thing is Predos is always talking about Christians who do things in his eyes that are what he says is bad. He is always talking about the attitudes of Christians and pushing their belief onto others.

But yet we see Predos doing the very thing that he points the finger at us doing. But with him, he comes here to call people here in this forum stupid, bigot, fool, and to do nothing but say that we are not important to him.

He says that he doesn't care about God or us, but isn't it funny we find him in a forum talking about God, and the very people that he says that he doesn't care about.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:26 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I remember Madeline Murray O'Hare. The ACLU has invaded our once peaceful existence. Every night on the news I hear about more who hate Christmas and want all of the Christians off the planet. What else are we supposed to think about you?
You paint atheists with a very broad brush...Most of us do not hate Christians, or any other religion. I do dislike Christmas, but not because of it's religious meaning. I dislike the commercial aspect of it...I don't know what news you watch, but I have never heard anybody on any news program say "I/we want all the Christians off the planet"....I would really like to see proof of that statement.

It seems to me that you have an unreasonable hatred of those of us that disagree your doctrine.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Typically atheists are not antagonistic, street marching, protesting, or up in arms, ( although that description certainly fits some christians ) and of course we are not all the same. To say otherwise is a bigoted point of view no matter how you slice it.
This is true to a degree, but you do have P. Z. Myers desecrating a Eucharistic host and books titled "God is not Great" or "The God Delusion."

Some
atheists with a high media profile do seem to be mirroring what I consider the most intolerant and obnoxious elements of evangelism. If a Christian group gave awards to one guy who wrote "Vishnu is not Great" and another to a guy who made a show of kicking a statue of Krishna I would be displeased with them at best. I remember reading Asimov say that people only take offense when their particular religion is ridiculed and so I have tried to be concerned with denigration of people of other religions while disagreeing with many of them.

To me this kind of atheist behavior has ended up inflaming people who really didn't mind atheists or accepted them about as well as they did anyone. At least some of the responses to this kind of thing have been from Anglicans, who in the modern age are about the most bland of Christians. I don't think I've ever heard of Anglicans going door-to-door or marching. In this country Episcopalians tend to be socially liberal and favor church-state separation.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Show me several million atheists trying to force their beliefs into law, trying to use legal force to coerce all Americans to follow their beliefs. Show me the school children forced to perform atheist rituals under fear of punishment from adults and peers. Show me the atheists protesting at funerals - and I might start to listen to you.

Stop the things we are "whining" about such as Christian laws, religion-based bigotry against gays, religious discrimination in the workplace, religious influence in child custody cases, remorseless atheist bashing, and evangelism - and we'll stop "whining" about them.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Show me several million atheists trying to force their beliefs into law, trying to use legal force to coerce all Americans to follow their beliefs. Show me the school children forced to perform atheist rituals under fear of punishment from adults and peers. Show me the atheists protesting at funerals - and I might start to listen to you.

Stop the things we are "whining" about such as Christian laws, religion-based bigotry against gays, religious discrimination in the workplace, religious influence in child custody cases, remorseless atheist bashing, and evangelism - and we'll stop "whining" about them.
There are laws against discriminating against atheists. No kids are legally forced to perform any specifically Christian ritual. It's just not happening. Even the Pledge of Allegiance, which is not a Christian ritual in any sane sense of the word, is voluntary.

As for atheists forcing their beliefs into law it happens in all kinds of nations. Many nations in Europe have hate-speech laws that restrict Christian speech on homosexuality. The French limit religious speech and apparel in public.

Alas you're in North America where Christians can speak freely to you even when it's speech you dislike. Alas in the US our state constitution's amendments can actually be decided by a popular vote. We have the temerity to have any faith in the people at all, shocking!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There are laws against discriminating against atheists. No kids are legally forced to perform any specifically Christian ritual. It's just not happening. Even the Pledge of Allegiance, which is not a Christian ritual in any sane sense of the word, is voluntary.
Would those laws be similar to the laws against discriminating against homosexuals? Even though you may be correct that no child is LEGALLY forced, it is still happening in schools, churches and homes in many areas of America.

Quote:
As for atheists forcing their beliefs into law it happens in all kinds of nations. Many nations in Europe have hate-speech laws that restrict Christian speech on homosexuality. The French limit religious speech and apparel in public.
You actually consider hate speech laws to be atheistic? What does that say about you? We have hate speech laws here in Canada, and what you say about the restrictions on Christian speech is just not so.

Canada's hate speech legislation does not represent a threat to any clergy: priest, minister, pastor or other clergy delivering anti-gay sermons. Anyone delivering an anti-gay speech based on the famous six "clobber" passages in the Bible or similar passages from the holy texts of other religions is immune from prosecution under Sections 318 and 319 of the criminal code. This immunity would also apply to lay members of any religion. However, a clergyperson advocating genocide against gays or lesbians, or any other identified group listed in the Hate Propaganda section of the criminal code could face prosecution. Do you have a problem with this?

..Who the heck cares what the French do?...Are you going to bring up Muslim countries too?

Quote:
Alas you're in North America where Christians can speak freely to you even when it's speech you dislike. Alas in the US our state constitution's amendments can actually be decided by a popular vote. We have the temerity to have any faith in the people at all, shocking!
I am not familiar with your state laws, but I believe this is a problem...If the majority always rules, who takes care of minority interests?

Old 11-27-2009, 07:24 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Gee, go on a forum to debate? Not just to accept what you want to claim as true? What a concept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality