Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,166,774 times

Advertisements

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,166,549 times
No. Since all morality is based on human reason.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM

680 posts, read 1,388,007 times
How about the Christian morality which condemns homosexuality? One cannot arrive at that using reason. Quite the opposite.

Earlier forms of Christianity justified slavery. Reason dictates otherwise.

Christian morality dictates that we not "take the Lord's name in vain." I'd tell you what my reason leads me to say about that, but it would be censored.

And so on...

Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,629,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just curious.
I will be quite happy to answer...just as soon as you explain how it would be possible to have any basis for any morality in the absence of a transcendent eternal creator.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 AM

5,420 posts, read 6,524,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
I will be quite happy to answer...just as soon as you explain how it would be possible to have any basis for any morality in the absence of a transcendent eternal creator.
Surely you must understand that there are many basis of morality that are independent of a transcendent eternal creator. Religious absolutism is only one of many forms of ethics. Common sense and logic can lead you to others. Read about utilitarianism or anything by Ayn Rand to find some examples of non-religious morality.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,735,119 times
Quote:
Maybe you could explain how behaving in a way not to be punished by someone more powerful is a form of morality at all. There's no concept of right and wrong, just "I'll do whatever it takes not to get spanked no matter what it does to other people". Someone with that kind of "morality" shouldn't be throwing stones at others.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,946,473 times
Quote:
Because I want one.

Next?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:22 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,166,549 times
Quote:

The same way it was possible for me to have poached eggs on an english muffin this morning.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM

64,116 posts, read 40,427,467 times
Is it possible for all the "content-based" aversion to specified Christian morals to be set aside to address tigetmax's GENERIC question about the existence of a basis for the concept of morality AT ALL. Admittedly, ALL of the content of morality is arrived at by humans (hopefully using reason and knowledge) . . . but if there is NO BASIS for expecting there to be any such concept to apply to our existence . . . it is ALL MOOT. ANY of the bases that do not try to discern a "purpose" (raison d'etre) for our very existence itself are self-defeating speculation. IF there is NO PURPOSE for us to exist . . . NOTHING we do matters one whit. Accidents have no purpose . . . and whether they continue to procreate or destroy themselves is completely irrelevant and ARBITRARY. THAT is tigetmax's point, I believe.

ALL
the other arguments and bases are consensus-based and to those of us who see morality as important to human existence . . . pointless without a purpose for human life. This is why we believe in a purposeful Creation and concern ourselves with morality. If we are wrong and there actually is no purpose . . . morality becomes irrelevant. The conundrum is discerning the purpose and testing moral precepts against that purpose. That which aids the achievement of our purpose is good (moral) . . . that which harms the achievement of our purpose is evil (immoral). Specifying THAT . . . now there's the rub!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:04 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,166,774 times
Quote:
Actually, it is quite easy. What is morality other than a code of conduct and as social animals such a code is required so that we can function in a highly cooperative society. For every social rule (morality) we can identify how that rule advances the functioning of the greater society.

I believe that it is your turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality