Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:55 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,208,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Sort of like when as a parent we send our child to "time out" and we get to think about what we did or didn't do, right? What, if any, punishment is there to face before being reconciled with God?
Well, I certainly don't want to go to hell and personally find out. I would assume it's no fun.

Let's just cut to the chase here, for all the posters, not just you: do you really think than an ETERNAL, torturous seperation from God is actually JUST?
The definition of just is: The due reward or punishment for an act. Justice is getting what is deserved.

So someone in Iraq is raised with next to no knowledge of Jesus. They are taught from birth that Islam is the ONLY way to God. They live a good life, are not a jihadist, love their fellow man and family. One day this person steps on a roadside bomb and dies. Their act (or non-act) of not accepting Christ earns them ETERNAL, torturous seperation from God? This is due reward? This is getting what's deserved?

Blessedly, God makes more sense than His followers do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,935,845 times
I was wondering if Christian Universalists claim Hosea Ballou as thier own or not. I am Unitarian Universalist, and we claim him, but I was wondering if you do too.

Hosea Ballou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hosea Ballou

Old 06-08-2007, 07:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,550,267 times
I never could accept the concept of the traditional burning ,torturing hell. It remindes me of Dante's inferno, which we all know was fiction. Family has argued to me that the bible is dualism, that is heaven-hell,good-evil, angels-demons, and so on. When I say eternal life-eternal death, it starts another debate that I don't understand the bible. All this happened long ago in the past, so I am not asking for advice. I am finally at the point in my life where I am satisfied with the fact that if I am a good, kind loving person and follow Christs very simple, easily understood instructions that I will probably be able to spend eternity praising him. The bible tells me that the devil and his angels, sin and death will be thrown into the lake of fire. I don't think that is literal either. I think it just means that those things will be no more. I hope I don;t lose any friends now that I have said that

Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,905,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Well, I certainly don't want to go to hell and personally find out. I would assume it's no fun.

Let's just cut to the chase here, for all the posters, not just you: do you really think than an ETERNAL, torturous seperation from God is actually JUST?
The definition of just is: The due reward or punishment for an act. Justice is getting what is deserved.

So someone in Iraq is raised with next to no knowledge of Jesus. They are taught from birth that Islam is the ONLY way to God. They live a good life, are not a jihadist, love their fellow man and family. One day this person steps on a roadside bomb and dies. Their act (or non-act) of not accepting Christ earns them ETERNAL, torturous seperation from God? This is due reward? This is getting what's deserved?

I follow Christ's teachings. You're certainly entitled to follow whatever teaching you'd like to follow. But don't sell it to me as fact, you contradict the Word of God and claim to be the only ones that have it right.

I've stated my view, that this is a false gospel. I'm not a doubter, as you called me. I'm not throwing the Word of God out the window, as you claimed. And I do believe every Word of God, as you implied I don't. I have thoroughly read God's word and while I glean something new from it everyday, I certainly would never say 'Hey, I've got it all figured out and here's exactly how things work.' God's bigger than me. God's Word is bigger than me. I believe you are sincere, but one can be sincere and still be wrong.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,294,986 times
Quote:

I would just say to this that whether you, me or anyone else on earth thinks that a certain doctrine is "just" or not is NOT the way to discern whether a doctrine is true. God tells us in His word that His ways are higher than our ways. Sometimes our temporal finite minds do not understand His ways. Therefore, I think the proper question to ask is whether scripture teaches a certain doctrine or not. Not what we as fallible humans who have a limited perspective think of it. Now obviously, we on this forum have some disagreement as to what scripture actually says. And THAT'S valid. But what we "think" about a doctrine is not the right question to ask IMHO.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I follow Christ's teachings. You're certainly entitled to follow whatever teaching you'd like to follow. But don't sell it to me as fact, you contradict the Word of God and claim to be the only ones that have it right.

I've stated my view, that this is a false gospel. I'm not a doubter, as you called me. I'm not throwing the Word of God out the window, as you claimed. And I do believe every Word of God, as you implied I don't. I have thoroughly read God's word and while I glean something new from it everyday, I certainly would never say 'Hey, I've got it all figured out and here's exactly how things work.' God's bigger than me. God's Word is bigger than me. I believe you are sincere, but one can be sincere and still be wrong.
As the Word of God is the basis of what I believe, and you state that I contradict the Word of God, I guess you are saying that the Word of God contradicts itself? The Word of God IS fact, and that's all I'm "selling".

Um, when did I claim to have it all right? I do believe I'm right, of course, but I don't believe or claim to know it all.

If your not throwing the Word of God out the window, then why are you so coldly dismissing what I said, which was to quote the Word? I guess the next step would be to quote other Scriptures that seemingly contradict the ones I quoted? But then where does that lead us? Does the Word contradict itself? The answer is no, but on the surface it would appear to be so at times. Doesn't it then stand to reason that it's possible the Scriptures on hell that we have always stood on may not be properly translated?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I would just say to this that whether you, me or anyone else on earth thinks that a certain doctrine is "just" or not is NOT the way to discern whether a doctrine is true. God tells us in His word that His ways are higher than our ways. Sometimes our temporal finite minds do not understand His ways. Therefore, I think the proper question to ask is whether scripture teaches a certain doctrine or not. Not what we as fallible humans who have a limited perspective think of it. Now obviously, we on this forum have some disagreement as to what scripture actually says. And THAT'S valid. But what we "think" about a doctrine is not the right question to ask IMHO.
I understand what your saying here, but when asking someone what they think, I am assuming they are basing their response (and corresponding beliefs) upon scripture, or they probably wouldnt be answering in the 1st place. So the "proper question" is inferred.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,120,671 times
The Book of Revelation speaks pretty strongly about what happens to those who follow the beast or whose names are not written in the Book of Life. I would just rather follow Christ now in this life and know that my name is in His book. We can only pray for our loved ones, friends and others to follow Him also. What happens after is up to God.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,294,986 times
Default justice...by whose standard?

Quote:
I understand what your saying here, but when asking someone what they think, I am assuming they are basing their response (and corresponding beliefs) upon scripture, or they probably wouldnt be answering in the 1st place. So the "proper question" is inferred.
Well, sorry if I misunderstood you, but it seemed to me you were asking if it "personally felt just" to us...based on the dictionary definition of justice.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, sorry if I misunderstood you, but it seemed to me you were asking if it "personally felt just" to us...based on the dictionary definition of justice.
Oh! You meant that in particular. Sorry.

Well, actually yes, I was asking if that seemed "just" to the reader. IMHO, the whole "God's ways arent our ways" arguement on this point is just ignorant. I don't care how you slice it, God gave us brains, and hearts, and expects us to use them. Since any rational person would have to agree that, no, it doesnt seem just, why is it then so hard, when coupled with proper translation of the Word, to think that God does too, and just maybe we have swallowed a lie about God's character?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality