Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Good point. Christ came because humans fail.
And they still do, so I guess Visvaldis is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
And they still do, so I guess Visvaldis is right.
Once again, your understanding of Jesus' mission is severely lacking. How many perfect people do you know?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
[quote=jimmiej;14519643]Once again, your understanding of Jesus' mission is severely lacking. How many perfect people do you know?[/QUOTE
No one is perfect. So your point is....
How many people do you know that know what the Sermon on the Mount was about? Or was it in one ear and out the other?

If the mission of Jesus was only to be sacrificed for the sins of people that could have been accomplished soon after his birth. Why did Jesus live for 33 years. To say things no one wanted to hear?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Failed again - If you understood my post you would know that that is irrelevent. I could be a fake Christian - you can not know. It would still not explain your failure to undersand the purpose of Christ's coming. Once again the idea that Christ is a faliure because Christians fail is a failure in itself.

Can we move on.

what about allah, all he's producing is suicide bombers at 10 cents a dozen.

i wish religion had never been invented, just every person on this planet believes what he or she believes, and nothing more. no religious wars no religious violence.. it's amazing to me that people that are so religious can hate,kill tourture, destoy like there's no tomorrow... religion sux

Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 PM

191 posts, read 457,871 times
Why are there so many posts about "all Christians" and "all atheists"? Doesn't anyone else resent that? If I walked down the street screaming about "all blacks do _______" I would be called a racist. Granted, one does not choose the color of their skin as they do their beliefs, but still I think the point stands. It is completely ignorant to make "all" statements, and frankly it is boring.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
1)
It seems that Visvaldis is the Failure.
Your inability to know of the teachings of Jesus is your failure, not mine.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I read the Imitation of Christ every Lent and it's largely based on what Jesus said. I also read the Gospels a fair amount.

Even if we focus just on what seems to be in all the Gospels I'd say a major point is not setting yourself up as better than others, loving God, loving your fellow man, and helping the poor. I can't say I do that a 100%, once shamefully I actually avoided a former classmate because he became homeless, but I believe in those things and I think it's important to focus on where I fail in order to become a better person. There are times I do remind myself that many of the atheists here are probably less self-centered and callous than I am and that I have no right to think I'm better than you because I'm likely not.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Jesus Was A Failure
By looking at the Christians, even Jesus would have to admit that he was failure as a teacher. All his sermons have been spoken to deaf ears; a holy waste of time. His purpose was that all sinners should be forgiven, this he did. Why did he live for 33 years? He could have been crucified immediately after being born.
Those who call themselves Christians cannot quote any of Jesus’s teachings. They are more likely to quote the bible, evangelists, religious figures, athletes, and politicians. Obviously, the sermons that Jesus taught went in one ear and out the other.
You bring up an interesting point.

I have heard sociologists discuss this issue and they have indicated that "conservative" Christians tend to focus on the "shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sins/resurrection as proof of legitimacy".............

While more liberal Christians tend to focus on the message of Jesus concerning social justice, the beatitudes etc. i.e. Sermon on the Mount type stuff.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
If the mission of Jesus was only to be sacrificed for the sins of people that could have been accomplished soon after his birth. Why did Jesus live for 33 years. To say things no one wanted to hear?
What are you expecting from Christians? Perfection or just a change for the better?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What are you expecting from Christians? Perfection or just a change for the better?
I expect anyone who calls himself a Christian to be knowledgeable about Christ and be able to quote Christ.
But it seems that being a christian one merely has to wear a Jesus t-shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality