Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirfolie View Post

Haha Grammar Nazi's. It's not that big of a deal on a forum.
It does make it a big deal when the people who normally provide really good advice on this forum completely skip over your post because it is hard to read.

When you have to re-read sentences in a long post (oh, does she have two mothers or is that the possessive of "mom"?) to understand context, a lot of people drop off.

Quote:
And I also apologize that I'm on my phone where it auto corrects basically everything I type, even the punctuation.
There is not auto-correct (on any device) that wrote the below...

Quote:
So I posted on here about me and my boyfriend looking for an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 05:00 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
We don't even know what sort of rental application the OP filled out but I have never seen an rental app that says the landlord absolutely MUST honor the original application. What if the landlord receives 10 applications and several applicants said they'd be willing to pay more monthly? Must the landlord honor all the other applicants? Course not, LL is allowed to rent for a price the market is willing to bear. Unless there is rent control for the specific property(which is another issue entirely) there is no law forbidding the landlord to entertain better offers.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:05 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
We don't even know what sort of rental application the OP filled out but I have never seen an rental app that says the landlord absolutely MUST honor the original application. What if the landlord receives 10 applications and several applicants said they'd be willing to pay more monthly? Must the landlord honor all the other applicants? Course not, LL is allowed to rent for a price the market is willing to bear. Unless there is rent control for the specific property(which is another issue entirely) there is no law forbidding the landlord to entertain better offers.

If you actually 'read' the posts OP said they 'signed' something that actually stated this, this and this and they paid an application fee based on that. So yes, it is an agreement and a contract.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:09 PM

You keep thinking the OP signed a lease agreement. She did not. Rental application =/= lease agreement. What the landlord did is not uncommon. It may be bait and switch, some may even think it is unfair. But when standard deposits in the area range from 400-600 and OP's deposit is stated at 750, that is not an incredibly higher amount. Thus IMO it is a fair amount. Doesn't matter if it's a bait and switch if OP's money will be returned if she declines the rental.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:12 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
OP, if you aren't comfortable with the management, now is the time to move on, before you sign a lease.

Without seeing all the documents and receipts I have no idea what is going on, but you don't have a lease and it is very possible terms are fluid until they are fixed by both parties signing the contract. What their ad says is not really binding on them. What the property manager said isn't very binding, not to mention it is he said she said.

If you look one day and don't sign the contract right then, the price can still go up and you can miss out on a special price.

I personally think it is very important to trust your landlord and if you already know before you sign the contract that they aren't trustworthy, it is time tom move on to the next opportunity.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:14 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
So if I write my lease agreements to demand 10x rent as a security deposit, I can do that? Wonderful!
And um, yes, you can actually do that. Now, getting away with it if ever challenged is a whole different story because you won't get away with it if challenged because it is illegal to do in the state of CA.

In the OP's situation, what the LL stated in the application is not above the law or illegal. However, because they did specifically state it in the application and the OP signed it then it needs to be honored and not changed or altered. If changed or altered that makes the contract null and void and all monies should be returned if requested IF the application did not have a clause in it stating that the price is subject to change upon actual lease signing.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:16 PM

Well stated oregon. Terms are fluid until an actual contract is signed. Also the reason why it's important that both parties have contracts signed by all actors involved.

The reason why I'm a little outraged is because I know the OP is not being honest. 1/2 rent as deposit is NOT common in California. Just checked trulia for rentals in OPs budget and all are asking for x1 rent as security. Wouldn't be surprised to see apartments that ask for 2x rent which is the max allowed by state law.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:29 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
Quote:
Well stated oregon. Terms are fluid until an actual contract is signed. Also the reason why it's important that both parties have contracts signed by all actors involved.

The reason why I'm a little outraged is because I know the OP is not being honest. 1/2 rent as deposit is NOT common in California. Just checked trulia for rentals in OPs budget and all are asking for x1 rent as security. Wouldn't be surprised to see apartments that ask for 2x rent which is the max allowed by state law.
I areas of CA where there is a lot of military personnel they often will take a lower security deposit. When I read of the OP's post I assumed that they were in an area with a lot of military tenants and that the intake person did not understand that the reduced deposit / rent is given to the military and not to everyone, and that was the reason for the changes in cost.

Military tenants are pretty easy to get the rent from and also get damages out of, and they often do not trash the place in the first place.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I areas of CA where there is a lot of military personnel they often will take a lower security deposit. When I read of the OP's post I assumed that they were in an area with a lot of military tenants and that the intake person did not understand that the reduced deposit / rent is given to the military and not to everyone, and that was the reason for the changes in cost.

Military tenants are pretty easy to get the rent from and also get damages out of, and they often do not trash the place in the first place.
That's a possible explanation of what happened. How does that work anyways? Do the landlords get a subsidy from the government or they just offer a discount out of the goodness of their hearts?

Old 09-21-2015, 12:02 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
They usually offer it as support for the military and because they are good tenants. If they get out of line at all one call to their CO and the problem is solved. Also the military wives like living in the same housing as other military wives so they tend to stay longer, especially if the next station is deployed or undesirable for a family. They do not get laid off, drop out of school, break up with their roommates, and other drama that landlords get.

Many of the restaurants and other businesses give military discounts on certain days or always in CA.

The landlords do not get anything more from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting