Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 03:12 PM

98 posts, read 619,098 times

Advertisements

Currently enduring the same thing. Funny how I relate now to every thread regarding noise. The best advice Move as soon as your lease is over. That is really the only solution to that problem. I really don't see how this is grounds for breaking your lease. Noise like this in apartments is inevitable that is unless your are on the top floor. Deal with it the best you can until your lease is up. Of course noone can make you stay there if your unhappy. Can you afford to break the lease and pay the necessary fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 05:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Go up and knock on thier door and talk for a REALLY REALLY long time and complain about noise, sleep, work, maybe even a rash. You become the annoying one. It will make them move.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:18 PM

56 posts, read 512,520 times
Thanks everyone (except Annerk) for your comments. I am having
another conversation with management tomorrow. I've started looking for another place to live. But if I leave, the next residents will have the same issues with the tenants. I feel sorry for them.

Difficult time to move as I am hosting a film fest in April and have to travel back to Portland for a memorial service Feb 1. So it's not the best time. So you can be sure that it has to be really bad for me to even consider moving.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
another conversation with management tomorrow. I've started looking for another place to live. But if I leave, the next residents will have the same issues with the tenants. I feel sorry for them.
Not your problem.

Quote:

Difficult time to move as I am hosting a film fest in April and have to travel back to Portland for a memorial service Feb 1. So it's not the best time. So you can be sure that it has to be really bad for me to even consider moving.
S happens.

If you have discussed the problem with the tenants and management and you can still hear them walking upstairs, tough. If they are not deliberately dropping things on the floor and stomping on it constantly (and prove it if they are) then you have NO leg to stand on whatsoever. Some people are more clumsy and heavy-footed than others. I would not walk on eggshells for a downstairs neighbor, particularly one who banged on their ceiling all the time. Them being bothered by hearing my footsteps when all I am doing is walking across the floor is not my problem...it is theirs.

My advice would be to live on the top floor next time, or buy a detached house so you do not share walls/floors/ceilings with neighbors.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
We had the same thing happen us in two apt. complexes that we lived in! People who live in apartments above others just don't seem to care how much noise they make........that is just plain fact! And, it's not just those who are living above others, it is also folks who live next to others. Hearing loud tv's, stereos and even sex can be very annoying. Hearing a heavy person walking hard on their floors can make a lot of noise also........but, people have to walk no matter how much they weigh! We lived above a garage that our neighbors rented. Up and down, up and down. If they came home late at night, their garage door would wake us. We've had kids living above us, running-jumping-playing WWF wrestlers, etc. It was pretty loud at times, we talked to the management and to the upstairs neighbors.....noise kept on! We were told by upstairs neighbors "you don't like it, move!" Just hearing that sort of pi**ed us off, but couldn't do anything about it at the time.
Now we are extremely happy living in a 1-story "bungaloo" type apartment. No more upstairs noise, just some pinecones falling on the roof at times.
We really sympathize with all of you who have these noise problems.
Been there, heard that......but, no more! Thank the Lord!!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
I can totally identify..... I have these imbecile who live in the apartment next to mine. Druggies and drunks. Lowlives who get high with their 16 year old daughter. Constantly with the loud music, arguing, fighting, banging things, throwing things. They've completely destroyed the apartment (according to the owner's office manager). I knocked on their door once and the piece of crap "father" came to the door and said he'll make as much noise as he wants. I've called the cops to no avai. I've complained to the owner who says he's going to start eviction proceedings against them but, apparently, hasn't done so yet.

I can't afford to move --- I just don't have several thousand dollars laying around for 1st/last month's rent, a month's security, moving truck, etc.

I'm just hoping and praying the owner will get rid of these people soon!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post

One thing it seems that you haven't done is document in writing any reports of the noise to management. Are you having a conversation with management tomorrow in person or over the 'phone? If the latter, make it a personal meeting.

Take the time to write a letter to them in duplicate which you will hand-deliver to them at your meeting and ask them to sign the duplicate copy acknowledging receipt. In that letter, document the dates and times you've complained, the fact that the problems have continued and that you're very regretfully being forced to seek alternative accommodation. If you're otherwise happy living in the unit, tell them that.

You are of course liable to the LL for rent for the 5 months remaining on your lease agreement and should be prepared for the worst case scenario. At this point you don't have a legal case of any merit. Banging on the ceiling, although I understand a retaliatory response through sheer frustration, just wasn't a good idea as you quickly discovered!

The LL may well be able to mitigate his losses by re-renting the unit but this is something you can't presume, so tread lightly (no pun intended but I chuckled as I realized what I'd written)!

If the management company determines that there's nothing they can do after you've quietly stated your case and presented your letter to them, then give them 30 days notice and go from there.

If you roll in there with all barrels blazing it's not going to be to your advantage but you can mitigate your OWN potential financial damages by taking the soft approach. Good luck and it's always interesting to hear the outcome. Cheers!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Default Moving

The neighbors aren't just walking loud, it sounds like a herd of cattle running across the floor.

But in any case, I have a great relationship with management. They've had to work with me before when I had an ant infestation, and a termite infestation that lasted a month and caused me not to be able to work in my home office. Also worked with me when my a/c went out when it was over 100 degrees in the summer. So it hasn't exactly been a smooth ride here.

I'm a business owner and know exactly how to speak with them. You get more flies with honey...

But you have given me great advice regarding documenting. They already have 3 previous emails from me about the issue. But I'll be sure to have much more handy.

They'll probably let me out without much issue. (Finger's crossed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
One thing it seems that you haven't done is document in writing any reports of the noise to management. Are you having a conversation with management tomorrow in person or over the 'phone? If the latter, make it a personal meeting.

Take the time to write a letter to them in duplicate which you will hand-deliver to them at your meeting and ask them to sign the duplicate copy acknowledging receipt. In that letter, document the dates and times you've complained, the fact that the problems have continued and that you're very regretfully being forced to seek alternative accommodation. If you're otherwise happy living in the unit, tell them that.

You are of course liable to the LL for rent for the 5 months remaining on your lease agreement and should be prepared for the worst case scenario. At this point you don't have a legal case of any merit. Banging on the ceiling, although I understand a retaliatory response through sheer frustration, just wasn't a good idea as you quickly discovered!

The LL may well be able to mitigate his losses by re-renting the unit but this is something you can't presume, so tread lightly (no pun intended but I chuckled as I realized what I'd written)!

If the management company determines that there's nothing they can do after you've quietly stated your case and presented your letter to them, then give them 30 days notice and go from there.

If you roll in there with all barrels blazing it's not going to be to your advantage but you can mitigate your OWN potential financial damages by taking the soft approach. Good luck and it's always interesting to hear the outcome. Cheers!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Default Good one

Funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Go up and knock on thier door and talk for a REALLY REALLY long time and complain about noise, sleep, work, maybe even a rash. You become the annoying one. It will make them move.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
You might not have liked my advice, but it's the truth. Normal living noises such as vacuuming and walking are to be expected, whether you like it or not. And if you decide to call the cops about the vacuuming, be sure to let us know about their response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting