Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:28 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

I live in a small, detached cottage, and am about four feet apartment from my neighbors. If anyone is loud for some reason, I'll hear it, but otherwise it's ok. Unfortunately, the owner rents to almost anyone, so it's not perfect. But as soon as I get a new job, I'm going to be saving to move to a larger cottage or house. I'm willing to pay more $$ to have a larger place, no parking problems and a manager who isn't a PITA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 PM

56 posts, read 512,505 times
Arrow Not normal

It is not during normal hours. Goes sometimes until 2am. I know what "normal" is and this is not it; hence the posting. So does management. They have given them a notice of non-renewal as I found out today that they have gotten complaints from the neighbor above them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Whether or not it is what you want to hear, annerk is correct. Living in an apartment complex or plex unit (duplex, triplex, etc) has certain disadvantages. One of the worst is that you have to put up with hearing daily living noises from neighbors.

Vacuuming, even every day, is a normal living noise. Walking, or even running around the apartment is a normal living noise. Even things like running on a treadmill or doing jumping jacks are normal living noises. As long as they occur during normal "awake" hours, the other tenant has as much right to live their lives as you have to live yours. Unfortunately, in your case, you and your neighbor have different enough lifestyles as to cause a problem.

We've had tenants complain because they can hear the neighbor opening and closing drawers in the kitchen, hear their garage door opening, etc. Those are things that you really can't avoid. Both you and your neighbor have the right to live within the law and the rules of the complex. I consider a normal amount of daytime noise to be normal and acceptable. Most city codes and apartment complexes agree. If you don't, that is a problem you will have to deal with, because no one can promise you quiet living, and especially not in an apartment.

If noise is such a big deal to you, I suggest you find a house to rent somewhere. Yes, it will cost more, but you can't expect to get better living conditions without paying for it.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:06 PM

56 posts, read 512,505 times
Arrow Wow

That does sound like a nightmare. At least I'm dry! There are just some people who care only about themselves and to he*ll with anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillion3147 View Post
Yes it's been pure hell living here. I only had one months peace to myself since I moved in here before those folks got here. I spoke to them(it got confrontational at one point) and management has spoken to them as well. Nothing really came of it. They are not going to change. My lease is up in early April but due to my schedule I am moving in March. So yes I am riding it out until that time. These folks are crazy and why they do the things they do I will never understand. They love for some reason to dump water and ice out of their front door and as always it finds it way down to my front entrance because it's nothing but a wood floor with slats. I almost got soaked one evening as I was leaving.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I can totally identify..... I have these imbecile who live in the apartment next to mine. Druggies and drunks. Lowlives who get high with their 16 year old daughter. Constantly with the loud music, arguing, fighting, banging things, throwing things. They've completely destroyed the apartment (according to the owner's office manager). I knocked on their door once and the piece of crap "father" came to the door and said he'll make as much noise as he wants. I've called the cops to no avai. I've complained to the owner who says he's going to start eviction proceedings against them but, apparently, hasn't done so yet.
If it were me, I'd find out if they have a car, and where they park it.

Any number of these people may have a vehicle they take excessive pride in.

Let your creativity and imagination go to work. I know someone that did this and they were packing the next day. Quicker than waiting for an eviction notice.

And what proof will they have? No fingerprints!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If it were me, I'd find out if they have a car, and where they park it.

Any number of these people may have a vehicle they take excessive pride in.

Let your creativity and imagination go to work. I know someone that did this and they were packing the next day. Quicker than waiting for an eviction notice.

And what proof will they have? No fingerprints!
Vandalism, what a lovely suggestion.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 PM

These people are vandalizing omigawd's rights to peace and quiet and a good night's sleep.

Tit for tat! Actions justified!

No guts, no glory!

A hard one for gutless Americans to swallow!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Vandalism, what a lovely suggestion.
Vandalism involves destroying, damaging, defacing property.

A container of pudding or an egg thrown at a vehicle, IMO, is not vandalism, but an inconvenience to the car owner. All disappears with a trip through a car wash.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Vandalism involves destroying, damaging, defacing property.

A container of pudding or an egg thrown at a vehicle, IMO, is not vandalism, but an inconvenience to the car owner. All disappears with a trip through a car wash.
How juvenile. And how do they know it was you that did it and not some local kids? Duh.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
It is not during normal hours. Goes sometimes until 2am. I know what "normal" is and this is not it; hence the posting. So does management. They have given them a notice of non-renewal as I found out today that they have gotten complaints from the neighbor above them as well.
If it isn't during normal hours, then I agree you have a valid complaint. I got the impression from your first few posts that it was daytime noise you had a problem with.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
If it isn't during normal hours, then I agree you have a valid complaint. I got the impression from your first few posts that it was daytime noise you had a problem with.
That was the impression I got as well, and I agree, if it's before 8:00 am and after 9:00 pm, it's inappropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting