Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 03:40 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times

Advertisements

Holly, sorry to hear about the arson; guess someone was bored; my mailbox was bashed then the cover? lid was twisted. Do have a post box office fortunately.

Wisdom-from you. Traveling overseas, your experience please.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
The Christmas season.

What has happened to mankind? I can't tell you how many stabbings (about 3 of them fatal) occurred this past week.

Today at about 12:30 p.m., two vehicles collided head-on, killing both drivers. One of them driving at very high speed, crossed the middle line.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
The Christmas season.

What has happened to mankind? I can't tell you how many stabbings (about 3 of them fatal) occurred this past week.

Today at about 12:30 p.m., two vehicles collided head-on, killing both drivers. One of them driving at very high speed, crossed the middle line.
I always wonder, does that mean it's happening more often or are we just hearing more about it. I tend to think it's the latter.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Terrible tragedy in a Phoenix dog shelter where a volunteer was mauled to death by an Akita. And her husband said she absolutely loved those akitas and why this happened is very strange. She was a retiree who devoted hours and hours to the Akita rescue and now she is gone. The dog was euthanized but is being tested for rabies.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 PM

Oddstray: I think it is happening more often.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Quote:
The Christmas season.

I hated working during Christmas, just the most violent time of the year. Dealing with drunks, family fights and abused children was the worst. When I got enough seniority I always took the two weeks around Christmas off, just couldn't take it anymore. And usually got called in to work because the guys were swamped with calls. Christmas Eve was the worst, oh how we all hated Christmas Eve..

Talking with some local officers around here and listening to my scanner, things haven't changed.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I hated working during Christmas, just the most violent time of the year. Dealing with drunks, family fights and abused children was the worst. When I got enough seniority I always took the two weeks around Christmas off, just couldn't take it anymore. And usually got called in to work because the guys were swamped with calls. Christmas Eve was the worst, oh how we all hated Christmas Eve..

Talking with some local officers around here and listening to my scanner, things haven't changed.

Sounds like a terrible job..... I am glad you are retired. Maybe not living in paradise, but not living in hell, either.

Merry Christmas to you and the pups. Hoping the New Year is good to you!

Old 12-22-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a terrible job..... I am glad you are retired. Maybe not living in paradise, but not living in hell, either.

Merry Christmas to you and the pups. Hoping the New Year is good to you!
Actually I loved my career, sure wasn't in it for the money or glory. I saw the best and worst in humanity, able to steer some wayward youth in the right direction, even saved a few lives. After 35 years happy to be done with all that.

Funny story, one year I was assigned to a fugitive task force and basically roamed around three states hunting down bad guys, really bad guys. Well during Christmas even bad guys go home to mama, and I was able to snatch up a few dozen.

While taking these desperados to jail we would have Christmas music playing on the radio and my partner and I would sing along with the music. Some would actually sing along with us, most would say "are you kidding me" (I left out the colorful language).

Last edited by jim9251; 12-22-2017 at 08:36 AM..

Old 12-24-2017, 02:22 PM

I decided to present a problem I was having in another forum. What a mistake. I never knew there were so many rude, ignorant people on C-D. And what I think made it worse was the MODERATOR was right there, being just as nasty as the rest of them.

Lesson learned?? Not all moderators are who you might think they are.

Yesterday morning after getting out of shower and trimming toe nails, somehow lost my balance, fell backwards on a basket full of stuff I had taken out from under the sink. Hard plastic containers, etc. Landed on right hip and back. Sat there stunned for a while, trying to assess for bad injuries like broken bones. I decided I was OK, nothing broken. But of course I'm good and sore. What a Christmas weekend.

Oh, and the weather? Horrible conditions yesterday (had to go out even after fall). Snowing, slushy, cold, and of course traffic was a nightmare. Today no new snow but very cold and will get much colder later. Doesn't sound very promising for tomorrow (Christmas Day). I believe more snow on the way.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I decided to present a problem I was having in another forum. What a mistake. I never knew there were so many rude, ignorant people on C-D. And what I think made it worse was the MODERATOR was right there, being just as nasty as the rest of them.

Lesson learned?? Not all moderators are who you might think they are.

Yesterday morning after getting out of shower and trimming toe nails, somehow lost my balance, fell backwards on a basket full of stuff I had taken out from under the sink. Hard plastic containers, etc. Landed on right hip and back. Sat there stunned for a while, trying to assess for bad injuries like broken bones. I decided I was OK, nothing broken. But of course I'm good and sore. What a Christmas weekend.

Oh, and the weather? Horrible conditions yesterday (had to go out even after fall). Snowing, slushy, cold, and of course traffic was a nightmare. Today no new snow but very cold and will get much colder later. Doesn't sound very promising for tomorrow (Christmas Day). I believe more snow on the way.
Wait. Are you sure you're not me?

Anyway, MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement