Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 07:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times

Advertisements

Nancy the reader - have you spent a lot of time in "desert" communities? It's about as un-LI-like as you can get. I moved from wet and green and gray and silver to the high desert, but central-eastern-southern Oregon was always one of my favorite places, both for vacationing and doing geological field work, so I knew what it was like, and pretty much in all seasons.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:19 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
This is becoming a great thread -- thanks, everyone!

Maybe we ought to break it down into sections of the country we want. For me, I now prefer the southwest -- I have lived in the PNW, and am from the cold, snowy eastcoast, originally; I have also lived in Phoenix, Boulder, and now in California (which I can no longer afford).

I used to hate the desert when I first moved there in the '70s. I was used to the lush greenery of the eastcoast, but gradually grew to adore the desert! It was quite a surprise to me once I realized that I had done an about-face!

So, I'm still looking at New Mexico -- cheaper, warm, mountains, hiking, lots of sunshine, and the state has green areas, as well as deserty areas.

Thank you, janb, for your feedback on Las Cruces -- that was great!

I am hoping with the housing situation, that I will eventually be able to sell my home here and get there. As a menopausal mom, my daughter is just entering college this fall, so I've had to wait on my plans. But the time is coming.

I love the idea of an abbey or old convent to live in! I hear that they are quite popular in Europe for hostels, and hotels now. Making one into a permanent living space could be cool! I don't think we have a whole lot in America, though.....

I haven't searched for any websites like PNW-type Gal mentioned, but if we could share what we find, that'd be great. I think a caravan of women going to the same place, and around the same age, and obviously, quite cool and talented would be fun. We could, theoretically, create our own "intentional community" of women, even if we are living in separate homes. I'm open to new ideas.

Great feedback, great ideas, great women! I love it!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:48 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Thank you all for the recent comments (Janb, Wisteria, PNW, etc.). I am 57 and still need employment but would love to relocate out of the deep southern part of Florida. No more hurricanes, humid, hot summers! I do have two small dogs, but am tied to nothing else. Let's keep this going!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
Plantlover: Let's keep this going!
Totally agree! The caravan is lining up!

P.S. I wouldn't mind working part-time, myself.... -- so don't let that be a barrier!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Default Yes, Great Thread going here!

Wisteria,
You're probably right, about breaking it down to regional prefs. I've always known 'desert people' are a unique breed: people either like it, or they can't understand why anyone would like it.
And, I'm glad you mentioned "intentional communities"--I couldn't think of the name, and I know there's information about them on the web. Seems like I looked into it a few years ago. I know Tucson had some similar things, can't remember what they called em.

I'm happy to see more than 1 or 2 interested in Las Cruces, and So. NM. I want to add that, I've never owned a piece of property in my life, which has probably hampered any thoughts of doing so (like a self-perpetuating boundary) out of fear of the unknown. What comes to mind is: Could I afford it, would I qualify, what do you need to know to decide good from bad purchase, what about my gypsy tendencies, what if, what if, what if....
I know it's just my lack of experience that makes it seem scarier than what it is, since I have no problem tackling any other 'foreign' concepts (in fact, everyone still wonders how I could just take off and live in a motorhome by myself).

And, I can't believe I'm saying this, but TrC would be a perfect place for this type of thing. They have so many little old cottage-type apartment complexes--(disregard if you're from NE, where cottage probably has a completely different meaning) small, older, mostly linked as 5-15 units, but some single-standing (studio/1/2bdrms) often rented furnished, with a little yard, etc. It's because the history of TrC as 'Hot Springs Capital of the Country' (self-titled), and it has that cozy 'retreat' feel to it, and property is abundant and pretty cheap (prices jumped alot recently due to speculation, but their asking price doesn't mean much right now). Ah, but TrC is TrC, oh, that's Truth or Consequences, NM, for those not familiar with the town.

And, if just to 'meet up', my Mom, now 81, is up in Salem, Or, and I keep saying I should take my 'home-on-wheels' up there, and spend some time.

Anyway, throwing in my thoughts, and yeah, I can wait till June, or next year, I got nuthin' going right now... (now where'd that 1 guy go?)

Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Default talkin' threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I just spent a week in LC, and was pretty impressed with 'retiree' life.

What I liked...
engaged, well educated, articulate, interesting, and artistic seniors, very involved with community and schools (including University). A very fun and diverse group... liberal professors to aerospace and defense engineers. Lots of cultural things to do, not bad traffic / congestion nor too busy pace. Hospital facilities were very nice, clean and even had friendly customer service employees. People in stores would laugh and joke and engage in conversation.

The 30 min trip, to the ELP airport (back-way, not need to go through ElPaso), was really nice to catch the $87 fare on SWA.
The Village Inn had choice of breakfasts for under $5, not something you find in Portland anymore...

I liked it enough that I am narrowing my search to include areas near national labs, as they are often in nice places, and retirees stay around. It reminded me of my childhood and the fun folks I met who worked at the National Standards lab in Boulder, or Rocky Flats, or now those types would be at National Renewable Energy Lab in Golden, CO. Oak Ridge, TN looks good too.

In LC,...(I was visiting an aged parent, that moved there 12 yrs ago, I hadn't been there for ~20yrs)

They have tried 2 different spots, but have settled on a nice spot quite close to UNM and Hospital, but on a ridge. Nice sunrise over Organ Mtn and sunsets over the Mtns to the west. 1 blk to a 'open-space' (not quite like a 'green-space' in PNW ). I went on the 'usual' house hunt, a ritual since I was a kid of seeing spec homes and looking for bargains and good ideas. There are some decent available options, and I feel it is over built for the current market, so probably some elasticity in the pricing. I would avoid getting too far out, as driving can now be very expensive, and they used to live a 25 min drive to LC, and it was a pain when you forgot something, or just wanted to drop in on someone.

It is really dry. Hot in summer, but not unbearable (as it was for them in Havasu, AZ...) Large overhang with airy porch is essential, but plants grow pretty well. Not too sure about gardens, but there is quite an ag industry there, so I expect it is fine to garden, flowers do great.

It's too barren for me, but would be nice the 9 months that Portland is 'not-so-nice'. I would probably have an 'efficiency' apartment, or a basement room rental in Portland and commute up for the late summers (July - Sept), for $87 on SWA... (that doesn't buy much gas !!)

Good luck, you gals are having too much fun!
Yeah, janb, you definitely got reps from me on your informational post. Even though this is what I sensed about Las Cruces, I was happy to have it confirmed. Still, I have to laugh about the 'desire to live around National Labs' I think I get it, but I've never heard anyone say it like that...Universities, yeah, Labs, ?? But, I know Los Alamos is a very vibrant, intelligent community, so you're probably on to something I'm not familiar with.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Sorry for the repetition...
Huh? I just found out this is in the 'Retirement' section???
Wow, part of me wants to jump, and the other part says "yes, you're not 25 anymore"..
I hit the number in the middle of 0 and 100 this year, and you can't tell how I feel about this. In fact, that's right, I'm 49. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it..

Old 03-12-2008, 02:51 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I think the "intentional communities" one poster refers to might be "co-housing," which I think started in Denmark. There are some co-housing communities in the U.S. (a couple near Boston). From what I've seen, there is no cost advantage, never mind that they're often *more* expensive. A whole lot of cooperation is required among everyone- it's similar to a large commune but where people own their own individual houses or units. There might be a lot of interaction with other people's children, as that seems to be one goal of such things (although I guess it could be set up as 55+ or something).
I think it's an interesting idea. I personally don't think I'm cooperative enough, although if it were a no-kids place, I might consider it.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Default co-housing v intentional communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think the "intentional communities" one poster refers to might be "co-housing," which I think started in Denmark. There are some co-housing communities in the U.S. (a couple near Boston). From what I've seen, there is no cost advantage, never mind that they're often *more* expensive. A whole lot of cooperation is required among everyone- it's similar to a large commune but where people own their own individual houses or units. There might be a lot of interaction with other people's children, as that seems to be one goal of such things (although I guess it could be set up as 55+ or something).
I think it's an interesting idea. I personally don't think I'm cooperative enough, although if it were a no-kids place, I might consider it.
That's the word! And, yeah, it did seem like they were rather pricey.
Is there a difference between 'co-housing' and 'intentional communities'? I rather like the sound of that description..
And, you've given me another thing to add to my 'important preferences': No children, or other small, hyperactive foreign creatures..
Pets? Yes, the more the merrier...

Old 03-12-2008, 04:21 PM

Hi, there folks. I'm posting the link to the "Intentional Communities" site:

Intentional Communities Web Site (ecovillages, community, communes, cohousing, coops, sustainable living...)

Some of it is hippy-dippy, and some isn't. It's kind of a mish-mash. The co-housing movement is more, as brightdoglover explained it, a concept that came from Denmark. The ones in the U.S. are either with a mixed population (including children) or over 55+. And, yes, they are pretty expensive, from what I've seen.

But I don't see why we can't start the Abbey/Monastery for Women concept in America!! Big buildings, separate rooms, lots of land, peace and quiet, but one can still leave the grounds for louder fun! Of course, I don't know of any in the U.S., but if someone has any leads on any, let us know!! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.