Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times

Advertisements

Wisteria, glad to hear from you! Our situations and outlooks are very similar -- I live in a very quiet and intellectually UN-stimulating area, and I'm just bored. I'm by no means an "intellectual", but I'd really like to be in a busier, more upscale area with more educated, interesting people. I, too, want to "make a change, NOW". I, too, thought of NY....the skyline and Hudson look so beautiful in those photos taken when the jet (sadly) ditched in the river. But then, as Tesaje mentioned, I thought of walking my little dog in the concrete jungle, and not having the joy of the spectacular ocean/mountain scenery in CA. Soooo, I am still hoping to be able to move to CA if my place sells. Having lived in that wonderful climate once, nothing else can compare.

Weren't you the one who mentioned the house-sharing in Santa Cruz? I thought a few folks here were interested in hearing more, at least....wouldn't it be fun to at least look into the possibilities and costs...? (But I can't remember for sure if that was you who floated the idea.)

P.S. Was it Mayor Michael "Bloom"berg?

Last edited by Avalon08; 02-04-2009 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: added a P.S.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
With regard to the Meet-ups, yes, I have been in one. It was when my daughter and I were taking a Japanese course, and we met up with others in our area who were also studying Japanese, including some Japanese guys who wanted to learn better English. It was kind of interesting, but it still didn't maintain itself for a long time.

The Meet-Ups are now charging for the listings – I don't know if you knew that. They used to be free.

This feedback is good, though! Thanks.
Meetup.com charges the organizers but it does not charge general members. However, organizers of some meetup groups will try to get members to pay a small amount, but most of the meetup groups are still free (at least in the area where I live: Dallas).

Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Floor cloths are the precursor to linoleum. They can be great in kitchens over a wood floor as they are easy to clean. They are more or less a linoleum rug.

One of the things I think I want to start up again is art classes. I used to do that when I was in JR & Sr high school but haven't done in decades. That and I want to really learn how to play an instrument.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:52 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
This is becoming very interesting. Looks like many of us are seeking to use our creative juices and intellectual capacities (as long as they last...haha).

Actually, I wasn't contemplating moving to New York, just miss the vibe and humor of it. When I first moved here, I did start an "Eastcoast Connection," that I advertised in the local Metro paper and had about 15 people show up. Unfortunately, it didn't continue, but it's always fun to meet other eastcoasters who understand that lifestyle there, even though they're living out west.

Yes, I am in the Santa Cruz mountains. I'm still considering a roommate. Like Nancy, I'd like to be in a bigger city like San Francisco, too. Where I am is quite charming, and, obviously, the ocean area and surrounding natural beauty are hard to surpass. But...now that my daughter is not living with me and I don't have the constant activity of caring for her, I need more stimulation. Unfortunately, they don't have the Osher Institute at the University of California, Santa Cruz -- they didn't have the funding to continue it. However, if I had some people to pal around with who wanted to go up to the city (SF), that'd be fun. I couldn't afford to live there, either. Occasionally, I go with a male pal, but it's not as much fun as gal pals!

I did start taking Spanish again, but I realized that I wanted more "fun" classes -- I was spending my whole weekend just studying, and I realized that I wanted more down time -- so I dropped the class. This art class sounds like more fun. Usually it's me teaching, so it will be nice to be on the other side of the desk, so to speak.

Tesaje, yes, art and music classes -- those are challenging but fun. I already play piano, but not great -- more for my own satisfaction. I haven't actually even had much time while raising my daughter to do my own art work, so I'm looking forward to learning a new technique. Usually I'm teaching but don't have the time to actually draw. That is the problem with still having a full-time job.

Speaking of, I need to go....so until later....let's keep looking -- up, that is!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:48 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
I've taken several non-credit courses at the University of Tennessee and really enjoyed them. I always wanted to learn potting with a wheel and tried my hand at that. It was fun but discovered I'm not good at it at all. Took me 50 lbs of clay to produce a lovely water bowl for the cats!
I was much better at stained glass. I truly enjoy that and have continued doing it. Working with it makes me happy. Not a cheap hobby, though.
I also took courses in Interior Design which was helpful and one in Forensic Anthropology which was fascinating once I got used to handling bones.
I haven't learned anything in a while though and you have all inspired me to get out and do something! I'm attending a volunteer orientation at the UT gardens next week and will finally send in an application to work as a volunteer at the UT's Archeological Research Lab. That's an area that has always interested me and they use volunteers to do sorting and cataloging.
Spring is coming and we should all seek a rebirth of sorts, no matter how small. We've had snow and unusually bitter windy cold in Knoxville the last few days but my February Gold daffodils are out there looking cheerful through it all.
We can do the same.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
megonow, you might look into Portland, Oregon. It is suppose to be very friendly to older persons, and I understand the area has alot of public transportation.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:20 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Cool Osher Lifelong Learning Institute

WISTERIA..... THANKS so much for mentioning Osher! I knew about it from the OLLI at the University of Miami, but I thought it was a local thing.

After you mentioned it...... I went online and saw that OLLI is national - in fact there are two in my area - one in Medford 23 miles south, and the other in Ashland 34 miles south!! I called the office and will receive membership & class schedule info in the mail

Old 02-05-2009, 04:33 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
My brave little daffodils. They've been out there in very cold weather. The night before I took this it was 12 degrees with a 30 mile an hour wind.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:42 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
WISTERIA..... THANKS so much for mentioning Osher! I knew about it from the OLLI at the University of Miami, but I thought it was a local thing.

I go every Tuesday to the OLLI in Stony Brook University . It is so much fun and I really enjoy it. The kids are very polite to us "oldies".

Those dear brave flowers, knox.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM

205 posts, read 397,189 times
Default I salute all you amazing, wonderful women!

Hi All; I recently discovered this thread and spent the last several days reading what these wonderful women have been writing, feeling, and sharing. I feel like someone long lost in a desert finding a welcome drink of water. I'm not alone. My story is like so many - married, divorced, single mother, raised amazing children (now 31 and 35) who live their own amazing, interesting lives. My daughter is a flight attendant and lives in NYC and when not working, travels to exotic places on her on. My son is a graphic designer and is moving to Mexico with this girlfriend the end of February. They are hoping to go around the world (or as much as possible) and settle in California (his girl friend is from the SF area). My significant other passed away 8 years ago, in 2007 my job was eliminated and while in the job search my elderly mother's health declined and I became her full time caretaker. That was my job until she passed away last April (age 90!). This was now my chance to really look at where I wanted to live. I took a two-week road trip in Oregon and loved it. Cannon Beach was like driving into Brigadoon! Would live there yesterday. Unfortunately, way too expensive. Have looked at New Mexico (Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Santa Fe of course) but have not yet been. What I am finding is that I tend to overwhelm myself - can't see the forest for the trees - and end of right back at the same dead end. Have been talking to a realtor here. Now I ask you, I just turned 62 in December and if I buy here I stay here (Central Florida). Have I not learned anything? This is not where I want to spend the next 15/20 years. What I estimate I have to be really active, after that I'll just be active. My I'm just rambling. I really wanted to introduce myself. Would love to hear from you on where you decide to settle. If I stay here in Central Florida then I am just pathetic! I have been renting and my lease is finally up the end of June - that is my deadline so I have to make my decision pretty soon. Thanks for listening. You are all so inspirational!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.