Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 11:21 AM

65 posts, read 163,942 times

Advertisements

Hi Ladies (and Gentlemen):

I've been a lurker on this site for about six months, and today I finally took the plunge and registered. First of all, a big thank you to Wisteria for being such a generous woman in starting this thread. I admire your strength and courage, as well as that of all the wonderful people on this board here. Wisteria, hang tight - it will all work out with your house, etc.

I'm 50, not married, and not in a great financial position. I'm from the Midwest and hope to relocate at some point in the future for retirement. Like many of you, I would like to find a community of people and fellowship.

I am so thankful I found this forum. I feel like I know so many of you, and I have taken great comfort in reading of your support and empathy for each other. I've noticed lately that the replies seem to have fallen off - I don't know if everyone is just busy or discouraged by the recent events I read about here, but I sure do miss everyone.

Thank you for all the time and effort each and every one of you put in to make this such a great board.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM

522 posts, read 1,430,171 times
Welcome to all 'lurkers'! Glad to see you registered, GloridaBG, now you can comment too!
I know DancingEarth went out of town, don't know where everybody else is. No news is good news, let's hope.
I have a tour guide for the day here in Taos, a friend of the ppl I'm staying with. Ken's gonna get me out, after a really depressing, lonely, wine-filled day of speaking to no one yesterday. I will be using all the phone numbers Melissa left for me, including a lady who loves to take ppl horse-back riding!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Default Coming Clean!

Anomoly,

Now I have to be honest! The reason I finally came out of my shell today and registered was so that I could read your blogs. I've always admired your spirit, tenacity and strength, so I thought I could gain a little bit of that by reading your blogs. It worked and thank you so much.

Sorry your day was so lonely yesterday. Although you may not have been with others physically, please know that you were spiritually. Hope you enjoy your day with Ken today.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 PM

522 posts, read 1,430,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloridaBG View Post
Anomoly,

Now I have to be honest! The reason I finally came out of my shell today and registered was so that I could read your blogs. I've always admired your spirit, tenacity and strength, so I thought I could gain a little bit of that by reading your blogs. It worked and thank you so much.

Sorry your day was so lonely yesterday. Although you may not have been with others physically, please know that you were spiritually. Hope you enjoy your day with Ken today.
Could I be more flattered?? At first, I thought you meant blogs, in general, then realized you meant mine. Hope you didn't get your hopes too high, I'm kinda boring these days. But I hope you'll keep reading. Thanks for your nice comments!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,265,263 times
Welcome GloridaBG!. Glad you came out of hiding to join us. I guess we have started the summer doldrums or summer busy times. I'm just biding my time, counting my pennies, again, and waiting to start my next life when I retire at the end of this year. Good to see you again Anomoly. Taos sounds like fun.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Hi Gloria~

Where in the Midwest are you? The reason I ask is that I lived in mid-Mo for a number of years and sometimes think of going back to live, as it was relatively inexpensive and a nice college town, with plenty of lovely housing at very low prices. But...I have a physical impairment that makes high heat and humidity a problem, and the summers were very long there. The fall and spring and winter were beyond nice though and lots to do in terms of free events, etc.

Are you thinking of moving somewhere else, and why? You'll see that a lot of us on this thread, started by our wonderful Wisteria, are wondering whether to "stay or go." Some just to start a new life, others partly that and partly b/c of finances (too high COL where we are now)...where oh where is that wonderful small town with tree lined streets, low-low-low property taxes, senior-safe, mild winters, bearable summers, with community spirit??

I started my first thread ever, "Retiring on a Literal Shoestring"....got some flak over the use of the word "literal"....but I meant it....retiring, literally, poor but rich in spirit and creativity. You're welcome to browse and post on that one too and any others.

~~NewEnglGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloridaBG View Post
Hi Ladies (and Gentlemen):

I've been a lurker on this site for about six months, and today I finally took the plunge and registered. First of all, a big thank you to Wisteria for being such a generous woman in starting this thread. I admire your strength and courage, as well as that of all the wonderful people on this board here. Wisteria, hang tight - it will all work out with your house, etc.

I'm 50, not married, and not in a great financial position. I'm from the Midwest and hope to relocate at some point in the future for retirement. Like many of you, I would like to find a community of people and fellowship.

I am so thankful I found this forum. I feel like I know so many of you, and I have taken great comfort in reading of your support and empathy for each other. I've noticed lately that the replies seem to have fallen off - I don't know if everyone is just busy or discouraged by the recent events I read about here, but I sure do miss everyone.

Thank you for all the time and effort each and every one of you put in to make this such a great board.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Could I be more flattered?? At first, I thought you meant blogs, in general, then realized you meant mine. Hope you didn't get your hopes too high, I'm kinda boring these days. But I hope you'll keep reading. Thanks for your nice comments!
Anomoly....
Still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the forum. How does a member access another member's blog....namely, yours?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:15 AM

205 posts, read 397,541 times
Quote:
zzzzzzzzz...??? Anyone awake out there?

I'm keeping in touch mostly by blog these days, but miss the conversation here. I do know that Karcon is frantic, preparing to move next week! She could use all your supportive thoughts this week!
Anomoly; thanks for throwing me a lifeline. Frantic then zen, then frantic . Walk-through is set for 10 a.m. this Wednesday with closing at 1 pm on Thursday. Agent and loan person are saying everything is okay - no problem. BUT I haven't gotten final loan approval - still with underwriting someplace in NJ.

Three weeks ago I got (and prepaid) insurance based on what I was told - needed HO-6 for condo insurance. Two days ago, the loan processor needed a copy of the HOA's policy for the actual building. Called realtor. Back 'n forth calls. Turns out I'm told I need HO-3 insurance - full coverage. On the phone with insurance provider. Finally cancel HO-6 and replace with HO-3 (double $$$). Yesterday on phone with ins. provider because I haven't gotten email confirmation/receipt. Trying to get things worked out. Quoted price I paid $100 short (what?!). Realtor calls on landline, leaves message. On hold (again). Retrieve realtor's message. He talked with HOA's insurance provider. I need HO-6. WTF! I had HO-6. Just cancelled and upgraded to HO-3. Insurance person back on phone getting things worked out. Tell her "oh stop - realtor just said I need HO-6 not the HO-3. Cancel HO-3, reinstate HO-6 and give me my money back. I apologize profusely - really don't want to be that ***** who takes it out on someone trying to help. That is finally straightened out.

Back to realtor's office to fax document to loan processor (one they already had). Realtor says no problem. Still have not been notified of final loan approval. Do they wait until you are at closing and say, "Oh, so sorry."

I have to (will be by choice) out of this house on June 30. Keep thinking of the what ifs. Where to go. Do I freak (no! - well maybe just a little); try the zen mode (what will be will be). Plan my escape - hop on a plane - go to Mexico, Europe, some small island, sell bait, become the crazy old lady????!!!

Stay tuned for next chapter in this saga of being a single woman retiring alone.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:20 AM

205 posts, read 397,541 times
Quote:
Welcome to all 'lurkers'! Glad to see you registered, GloridaBG, now you can comment too!
I know DancingEarth went out of town, don't know where everybody else is. No news is good news, let's hope.
I have a tour guide for the day here in Taos, a friend of the ppl I'm staying with. Ken's gonna get me out, after a really depressing, lonely, wine-filled day of speaking to no one yesterday. I will be using all the phone numbers Melissa left for me, including a lady who loves to take ppl horse-back riding!
Just reading through the latest posts. Anomoly I really hope you enjoy Taos. Was there in May (for about five minutes). Drove from Santa Fe on the scenic route - beautiful drive. But got there and had no idea what to do. Like you I was have a lonely, depessing but non-wine filled day (was designated driver - oh wait, I was the only driver and passenger). So drove back to Santa Fe so I could then complete the wine part. I'm sure I missed so much of what Taos really is - too bad. But you can be my designated "Taos is great!" I read your blog to catch up with your travels.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 AM

Default Thanks

Good Morning All,

First off, I would like to thank Anomoly, Tesaje and NewEnglandGirl for being truly welcoming. One of the reasons I was hesitant to join in for months was because you all seemed to have such a camaraderie, I thought I wouldn't feel welcomed at this point. So not true!

NewEnglandGirl, I live in Chicago, and the area I live in is expensive. I have limited family here, so at some point I hope to retire elsewhere - just not sure where. That's how I found this board - looking for retirement communities. Ideally, I'd like to find a condo (I'm not a "handy" person at all) retirement community with activities, transportation, etc., that is affordable and has a great spirit of community. The only place I've come up with so far is Century Villages in Florida. But then the weather, etc., etc. I've been over on the thread you started "Retiring on a Literal Shoestring" and really appreciate it.

Glorida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement