Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 04:38 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,272,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I may choose not to have a for-sale sign in front. It is too depressing to me to come home to see it every day, and in truth it's not likely that someone in my own n'hood will buy it...or am I being silly?
People do pre-shop houses and like to see the neighborhood and outside before having to deal with the sales-person that is called a Real Estate agent. They like to see the picture show on the internet and if interested, drive by. There are a lot of houses for buyers so anything that makes yours harder to see is probably not a bonus. In this market, being coy will probably not work. In a hot market, it might.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,996,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
People do pre-shop houses and like to see the neighborhood and outside before having to deal with the sales-person that is called a Real Estate agent. They like to see the picture show on the internet and if interested, drive by. There are a lot of houses for buyers so anything that makes yours harder to see is probably not a bonus. In this market, being coy will probably not work. In a hot market, it might.
yes, you're right I know... I just have a hard time with putting that sign out there again...maybe I'll move it a little away from the end of my driveway so I don't have it in my face every day. How are others' houses doing on the market?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,386,521 times
Quote:
Dear Zugor,

Interesting point of view...
Those of us without an adequate pension see the benefits of living right in town....we may have to give up our car for financial reasons. And some of us just want everything to be close by to avoid having to drive a lot.

Where in Floyd County are you? I have considered the town of Salem as a place to move to, have been there three times checking it out and talked with the librarian in town. Nice town, close to the city. What do you think of the area? What's the economic situation in Roanoke?
NE Girl

28 years in the machinists union has provided me with a good pension and then selling my CA house while it was still a seller's market has left me comfortable to say the least. I lived and worked in Oakland and most years I only racked up about 6,500 miles so I don't feel so bad about more driving nowadays. The worst traffic jam I've encountered here was on a Sat morning on my way into town. A small herd of cows had gotten loose. There were about 4 cars stopped in each direction and we all got out and helped the farmer and his dog round them up.

I'm eleven miles west of the Floyd traffic light and just off Rte 221, the major east/west road. I've been thru downtown Salem a couple of times but never stopped. It looked like a nice place to live and I do remember thinking that if I someday needed to live closer to Roanoke and it's amenities that Salem would probably be a good choice. I'm sorry that I can't really offer any insights as to the economic situation in Roanoke. I don't go there very often - mostly just to take cats and dogs to the low cost spay/neuter clinic or to shop at Sam's Club since Costco in Winston-Salem, NC is 90 miles away. I do always splurge on eating either Chinese or Indian food when there. Maybe you can get better feed back on the Roanoke forum here.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:49 PM

205 posts, read 397,957 times
Quote:
Karcon, we have very similar circumstances, exactly the same thing happened w my job, and also taking care of my mom who passed away last June at almost 92. I'm grieving from losing her and for the loss of my profession (both within 6 weeks) but not for the workplace, it was insane.... I'm not old enough for SS (another 18 mo.) so I'm living on freelance work and savings. What's hardest is trying to figure out how I'm going to survive over possibly, if I'm lucky, the next 20 yrs. Once I hit 80, my kids or my homeland will have to figure out what to do with me. As to where will I go and why, I am still looking! I've narrowed down my areas, though. The house goes on the mkt again July 6. I may choose not to have a for-sale sign in front. It is too depressing to me to come home to see it every day, and in truth it's not likely that someone in my own n'hood will buy it...or am I being silly?
NEG: No, you are not being silly! It's emotion you are feeling and that is understandable. With all the changes you've had to face over the last year (loss of job and mother - both overwhelming) the sense of loosing your house is just another punch in the gut. But start looking at it in a positive light; the job was killing you - emotionally and intellectually; your mother lived a good, long life. She outlived mine by two years, my father died at 56 over 30 years ago, and my stepfather was killed in a car accident in '98 at age 72. I know loosing your mother at any age is hard emotionally. Age 62 I'm now an orphan - very strange feeling. Selling your house and starting your new life is now your priority for you!!! Put that sign up and think of it as your ticket to a new and better life. You are in control, this is your decision. You are already making progress in narrowing down where you want to be. I know I never realized what an albatrose staying in this house for as long as I have was. I'm not sorry for the years here but I am looking to finally shed the old me I'd become, lift up my head and arms and DANCE!!! Afterall, I'm only 62!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 5 days ago)

8,823 posts, read 21,305,687 times
I'm not sorry for the years here but I am looking to finally shed the old me I'd become, lift up my head and arms and DANCE!!! Afterall, I'm only 62!!!!

What a super post and an inspiration, karcon. Thanks!!!!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-14-2009, 02:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,052,928 times
Talking Ah.... to be 62 ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Afterall, I'm only 62!!!!
Ah yes, 62..... that's how old I was when I took my SS and started my adventure out west..... from the east coast to the west coast

Four years later (after renting one year in CA and three more years in OR, I went back east and sold everything to become an offician Oregonian!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Ah yes, 62..... that's how old I was when I took my SS and started my adventure out west..... from the east coast to the west coast

Four years later (after renting one year in CA and three more years in OR, I went back east and sold everything to become an offician Oregonian!
Isn't it funny to look back. I remember when I turned 50 I couldn't even say the word (fif-fif-fif; fif-fif-fif). It was awful. To be 50 now, wow! You are living proof that new adventures can be started at any age. And whatever age you are now, imagine ten years from now. If you can look back and think how young you were ten years ago - well, just live that life now! Afterall, just think how "old" you'll be in ten years!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:33 PM

522 posts, read 1,430,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Isn't it funny to look back. I remember when I turned 50 I couldn't even say the word (fif-fif-fif; fif-fif-fif). It was awful. To be 50 now, wow! You are living proof that new adventures can be started at any age. And whatever age you are now, imagine ten years from now. If you can look back and think how young you were ten years ago - well, just live that life now! Afterall, just think how "old" you'll be in ten years!
Cute analogies, Karcon! I'm 51 now, but also couldn't say ..the other year (fif-fif..). Shows how age-conscious our society is. For me, I was around alot of ppl in their 20s & 30s, but since I moved to that 55+ RV park in Yuma, I actually felt like I might get kicked out for not being old enough . Just like being the young one in this group, I now feel fine about 51. Although my latest fling just turned 40, and that seemed kinda old for me , even though he seems like a kid!
Just goes to show "it's all relative", isn't it?

Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Cute analogies, Karcon! I'm 51 now, but also couldn't say ..the other year (fif-fif..). Shows how age-conscious our society is. For me, I was around alot of ppl in their 20s & 30s, but since I moved to that 55+ RV park in Yuma, I actually felt like I might get kicked out for not being old enough . Just like being the young one in this group, I now feel fine about 51. Although my latest fling just turned 40, and that seemed kinda old for me , even though he seems like a kid!
Just goes to show "it's all relative", isn't it?
Ah, the theory of relativity! That is what Einstein meant, heh?!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM

522 posts, read 1,430,793 times
zzzzzzzzz...??? Anyone awake out there?

I'm keeping in touch mostly by blog these days, but miss the conversation here. I do know that Karcon is frantic, preparing to move next week! She could use all your supportive thoughts this week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement