Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 04:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times

Advertisements

I attend OSHER classes, wisteria. It's known as OLLI. And, I love them. I just have so much fun there. I would definitely go more often if I lived closer to the college where they are held. I would love being in the same town so I did not have to drive an hour to get there , especially in a warm Californian climate . It would be one more reason to settle there. I'm going to Google Chico for real estate .

I refuse to let that thief that I told you about ruin my retirement even if it means that I will need a tinier place to live.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-09-2008, 11:18 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Nancy, I just reluctantly looked at my 401K balance. I hadn't looked at it since the October "crash" because I was too afraid. All the "experts" on TV were saying don't panic and move your money out of stocks....the market will come back. Well, I didn't move my money and it's lost 30% of its total value since last year, most of the loss being in October. Had I moved my money from stocks into something safer in Sept. when my gut told me to, I'd still have a big chunk of it.

My point being, many of us have lost a ton of money too....even without being ripped off by a financial advisor. I know it's probably small consolation, but it's just a situation that I never thought I'd find myself in....after working so hard to save for a comfortable retirement.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default The economy in a slump?

I just got back from a short mini-vacation to the Napa Valley and San Francisco and.... coming from a small-town, economically depressed area where I live .... I was surprised to realize that residents and visitors to the Bay Area seem to be oblivious to any depression. In fact, the San Francisco Fire Department is actually hiring new recruits, with a starting salary of 65k and retirement at 90% of highest earnings!

(Just an off-topic comment)

Old 12-10-2008, 12:46 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Ahhhh, San Fran.....Napa.....LOVE 'EM! I hope you had a great time and nice weather. I've been to both a couple times and really lucked out with the weather. That 65K is a good salary but probably doesn't go far in that area with its high COL and housing prices.

I've been at some local shopping centers over the past week and see no visible signs of the recession. I do not live in a wealthy area, but on Sat. evening, the local strip mall parking lot was packed. On TUE. (!) at dinnertime, the Walmart lot was packed. People are obviously still shopping -- we'll see whether they're actually spending when the retail numbers come in for Dec.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 PM

My point being, many of us have lost a ton of money too....even without being ripped off by a financial advisor. I know it's probably small consolation, but it's just a situation

The person lost over 80% of my money in only 40 days. He had transferred everything to junk bonds without my permission.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Get em, Nancy I not too gently let my Financial Advisor know that I didn't want to hear all his excusses and rehearsed BS. He handles just current and retired USWest/QWest employees. Apparently many others did as well - tomorrow he's holding a conference call for all of us (he thinks it will be 10 minutes discussion total) - that's more like 10 minutes per person - he doesn't know us - many of us spent our lives on conference calls. Can't wait. I think he knows he has failed - even given the fact that many others have lost money, bottom line, he knew this (something similar) was coming and unless you rode him, he nothing to protect your money. That's what he gets paid the big bucks to do - he failed.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Nancy = also, I hope you are pursuing this further - you mentioned that you were - don't let it slide - GOOD LUCK

Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Default hey I made it to page 34 so far!

...and eventually I will catch up!

Just a thought for you ladies that seem to be spearheading this:

I subscribe to MORE Magazine - probably a lot of you do too?
I bet your dream-to-reality project would make a neat story for the magazine & perhaps garner you some publicity &/or financing.

Loving this thread & the great ideas being bounced around.
Sally forth, ladies, sally forth!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:21 PM

mn2co~~~ yes. I have a lawyer from Manhattan who specializes in this kind of fraud. Of course, there is no guarantee and even if I win, the lawyers get 33%, but I will not just let this go. I am just so upset, but i will NOT allow it to ruin my retirement. I fortunately have my pension and will get SS as of Jan the 1st.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM

k:
Can't you somehow tack that 33% onto the Finance firm????????????????????????? It shouldn't cost you a dime - they need to compensate you for all expenses as well. Get em!!!!!!!!! No need to reply - as long as you have consul it's probably best not to discuss it on a public forum. Just good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.