Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 06:29 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,275 times

Advertisements

woo hoo - I'm up to pg. 10! - yes, this is an excellent thread & I'm so happy there are so many "free spirits" out there.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Thanks to our fearless leader, Wisteria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Adventuregurl: If you really want to hear negativity about AZ, go over to the Phoenix board and read the continuous long threads about people who want "out" of AZ and the reasons. I happen to be one of them but until I can sell this house, I can't go anywhere.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Reductions on homes in Sun City 55+

I received an e-mail from Sun City Carolina Lakes. They have 7 spec homes for sale and each is reduced from $30,000 to $50,000. Seems like maybe some of these 55+ places are having problems in this economy. I even heard on the radio that some 55+ places are considering opening the communities up to younger age people to make ends meet. What a shock that would be to the owners of homes there.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:42 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Default "Learning in Retirement"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmebrt View Post
Hello Women!

I've been away from this discussion for quite some time (my time seems to be centered on caring for aging/unwell relatives of late...doing what I can here and visiting ailing family in France) but I did want to say hello - I've monitored the thread all along but was beginning to feel like a voyeur out here not saying anything! You all are still one of the coolest group of women around, I must say - what great ideas and information. I am enduring another 92 degree day here in central Arizona - will summer NEVER end?! Retirement towns that have been on my mind of late are Prescott (AZ) and Asheville and Chapel Hill, North Carolina; I also hear good things about the Greenville area of SC. The NC Center for Creative Retirement sounds very much up my alley and is what has caused me to give renewed consideration to that area. Here's the website if any of you are interested: North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement Do any of you know of any similar programs in other parts of the country? My yearning for "green" might also be driving this train of thought...no more beige for me!

Kind regards to you all!
Quite a few college/university towns have Learning in Retirement programs for seniors. Some of the classes are taught by the seniors themselves. Many universities allow seniors to attend classes and audit them at a lesser charge, if space is available.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Quite a few college/university towns have Learning in Retirement programs for seniors

Yes. I go to one of those at Stony Brook University and it is so much fun. I am taking News of the Day and Short Stories, but here are classes on politics, history, drama , dance and all sorts of things. I wish it were closer as I would attend more than once a week.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-06-2008, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,840 times
Hi All; I am re-locating to the Cadiz area in the near future to be closer to my daughter who lives there.
At present I have horses and a couple of Yorkies, so I will need to have a place to keep them if I still have them when I get ready to move. I will have them unless I am totally disabled.
I don't plan on quitting work unless disabled some way. I was there last christmas and we looked around some at properties mostly in the surrounding areas and it appears with selling my place here I should be able to find something suitable. I, too, am alone and will be moving there by myself.
I'm usually pretty brave in the face of changes, and am used to doing and going as I please, but I will say I am more than a little worried about this move at this time in my life.
I would welcome any information about what areas are good for animals, also I will need a job.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:13 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug0807 View Post
Hi All; I am re-locating to the Cadiz area in the near future to be closer to my daughter who lives there.
Where is Cadiz? What state?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:15 PM

345 posts, read 1,016,109 times
I didn't even notice this thread before but am so glad I found it!! My sister who is 61 and me (who is 57) are looking to move from where we currently are (outside of the Boston, MA) area. We're not from here and haven't been happy living here for the last six years. We can't afford the rents and feel weird and old compared to most of the population. Also, we're conservative and Christians. We're seriously (but not sold yet) considering Lynchburg, VA or Chattanooga, TN (which kinda frightens me because of what I've read about the hot, humid summers; maybe TOO hot for me).

My sister is saying no to Knoxville because she's read repeatedly that it's bad for allergies and asthma which she has.

We grew up in the D.C. area (Va. too). We want to get below the Maxon-Dixon line. Comments/info/opinions/anything appreciated. It seems the more research we do the more confused we become!!

Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
My sister is saying no to Knoxville because she's read repeatedly that it's bad for allergies and asthma which she has.

Check out city-data's Knoxville Forum which tells a lot about this very beloved place.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement