Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 07:48 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
A lot of the cooperative communities charge a lot, and I think that may have to do with the communal buildings, recreational buildings, etc. (not sure). If we had our own land, and created our own recreational spaces, we would not have those costs. I would like us, as the first wave of this generation, to be the forerunners of creating alternative ways to retire! I do believe it is possible!

hi wisteria~~~well, this is some thread that you have started & look how long it has lasted. There must be an extremely pressing need for such a conversation. It struck a chord in all of us who have remained on this little old thread here for all this time (about 15 months?). Yes, so many things like co-op living sound wonderful and I also do not require a huge amount of space to live in. No winters for me, though, thank you very much. Close to towns would be a plus as I am not crazy about driving, though I do have a car and all.

Near colleges would be nice . Right now I attend classes at OLLI (Osher Learning) and I am very excited about this. Would love to continue wherever I go; I imagine everyone here would enjoy this.

Gardens and walking paths. Tiny cozy cottage-like houses (they could be manufactured. I wouldn't care.)
Some place warm and safe. That is what I am looking for.

Nancy.... I hate to say this.... but what you are describing is very much like The Villages in central Florida. Now, I'm not promoting that community, because I've never been there to see it in person, and I'm still not confident of its future, but from what I have learned from its Forum, all those options are available, including cheap homes in the older Villages (historic section). I really plan on visiting there one of these days

Old 12-26-2008, 09:43 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Near colleges would be nice . Right now I attend classes at OLLI (Osher Learning) and I am very excited about this. Would love to continue wherever I go; I imagine everyone here would enjoy this.

Gardens and walking paths. Tiny cozy cottage-like houses (they could be manufactured. I wouldn't care.)
Some place warm and safe. That is what I am looking for.[/quote]

I'm defnitely in agreement with the little cottages & gardens (a must). I also must have beauty around me - as in mountains. For a long time I was set on being near the ocean, and I still think it would be wonderful, however, if I couldn't afford it before, I sure can't now. I also don't want to pay the high property taxes and property insurance for such a location. Intense heat & humidity is also not in my picture of eutopia (and Wisteria, neither are Iowa cornfields!!). So, time will tell and I will be interested to see how all this falls out. Isn't anybody interested in Colorado???????????????? It's positively gorgeous! There is snow, but it goes away quickly (this year is different for most states).

Well, Christmas is over - good news for some. I started taking the tree down - it tipped over 4 times - the last time I just leaned it against the wall. Guess I need a new stand. I want to start the new year fresh, starting day 1.

Great thread - the best yet!!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:27 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Hi there! Iowa -- well, it was pretty....but I know what you mean.....I'm just trying to be open to all ideas!

Okay, Colorado. Yes, I would still consider Colorado. When I was last in Colorado Springs (a year and a half ago), it had grown sooooo much! I was very surprised. I do have a friend who lives in Grand Junction -- which is much hotter than the Springs. I don't think I would live back in Boulder now -- it is still pretty, but so much has changed since I last lived there, and there are many, many trust fund babies there! Even when I lived there, there were tons of trust fund babies, and I noticed that things are much more upscale now and not as natural or comfortable. It's really too bad, because I had hoped to go back there. But I probably need a change, anyway! The main problem I had with Colorado Springs was it didn't seem as friendly, and the fundamentalist churches' influence. So, I am kind of torn.

I am still open to Chico, California -- my compromise town, and to Paradise, California, just down the road from Chico (Paradise has a population of about 27,000 and 55% are retired).

I thought of how cheap it is to buy houses and land in upstate New York, but then you have those awful property taxes that eat up so much monthly income, and the long, hard winters -- although summers are quite lovely.

I still like New Mexico, though, and like the desert low humidity, clear skies, and wide open spaces. It did take me time to adjust to the desert when I lived there when I was 30 and moved to Phoenix from Buffalo, but now I have learned to love it.

Maybe I am back to square one. Since Betsy and ConeyIsBabe are in this area, maybe we should look a little more in Northern California where it is not as wet and cold as Oregon, but much cheaper than the rest of California. That's kind of one reason I was looking at Chico.

Oh, maybe it's the confusing time of the holidays. Maybe Betsy and ConeyIsBabe and I could all meet up around here sometime -- when it's a bit warmer. It would be a start for our "real life" people get-together -- got to start sometime!

Okay, I am in the middle of charging and filling my new iPod Nano my daughter gave me for Christmas -- I am such a technie now (not). It's cool and I'm happy to have it -- I do love to listen to many different kinds of music.

I think figuring out a meet-up for many of us might be planned for summer....just a thought. Someplace that could have potential for a future living place. I'm ready to start taking action -- recession/depression or not, I'm not getting any younger, and I'm ready to start moving on!

This is such a great group of women, that I do hope we can find a compromise place for at least four or five of us....or more!

Glad you got that tree down MN2CO! I finally got an artificial one because either the cats climbed on the real one or knocked it over, or I had to actually tie it to the wall to keep it from tipping! And now I don't have to haul a real tree onto my little car anymore...and this one looks just as real (someone asked if I might need a monitor that tells if your tree is about to burst into flames -- I swear it....but I didn't because it is not real!).

I hope the new year brings in new beginnings and happy times for all of us!

Old 12-27-2008, 12:22 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I never thought I'd read anything that would make me wish to be older than I am, but this thread has had that effect! It's nice to know that so many of you are strong and adventurous, and ready to make the move. Unfortunately, I have another 20... no, make that 25 (she says as she peruses her 401K statement) years to work, and my job requires a decent population base. I wish all of you the best!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:08 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Well, I did it - and before 2009 too!!! I finished the thread! If I had a clapping smilie emoticon, I'd put 'er right here! Moderator cut: well, I don't have a clapping one , but here's :

I will continue to follow this thread even tho I am not ready yet to retire. Your ideas & inspiration are invaluable - thank you all.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-27-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Let's see what we can do in 2009, y'all

I really plan on visiting there one of these days
I'd like to visit there, too, coney. Just to see for myself.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-27-2008, 09:49 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Cool The good and the bad....

The good (great) thing about this thread is to read all the ideas from women who are really all in the same boat........ retired, or near retirement age, wanting to relocate to a more mature-friendly-affordable lifestyle, somewhere without the stress of a large population and away from frigid winters.

The bad thing (at least for me) is the fact that I purchased my beautiful Oregon country home and property with almost 4 acres, at a time when (if only I had known) the real estate market was at its highest ! (Who'da Thunk It?)

So, now that I'm at an age (70)where I'd like to simplify my life; I'm not getting any younger, stronger, or better looking - but I'm kinda STUCK! It took me a lifetime to accrue whatever financial assets I have and it would just not feel right for me to take a hit now or if I sold out in the near future

Hey, a west coast meet-up might be fun!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:32 AM

77 posts, read 213,656 times
Hi everyone!

Well, we made it through the 'holidays'....and today the sun is out, so it's amazing how that increases my mood. Makes me realize just how dependent I am on sunshine to be happy!

I just came across another site here, that if you haven't already checked out, you might want to:
//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...here-live.html
I actually got excited reading the last post about living in Malaysia for $600/month!

I think my problem is I am basically a 'rolling stone'....and wouldn't be happy with just one place to live. Which is probably why I have lived in a couple dozen places in my adult life...
Wisteria mentioned Chico, Ca and I have heard good things about it. (Paradise, too) I'll probably be driving past it on my way back to Ashland, and maybe I'll drive through town to get a first impression. I've always liked Sacramento, for some reason.

My daughter used to live in Aurora, CO for 5 years and I visited her often. CO is neat in that the weather is dry and sunny, and the snow melts quickly. It's the 'west' but very hip, in that so many companies there are international and it brings in people from all over the world, not to mention the huge military bases that keep growing. It's also very beautiful, with the Rockies, etc. I had a big issure with the driving (4-6 lanes) and the sprawl...but I am sure there are places that aren't as bad as the Denver suburbs. It's also a little too 'conservative' for me.

Unfortunately, for many of us, who are homeowners that is, this is a really BAD time to be selling, but a good time to be buying. As I look at homes for sale in various places around the country, I am stunned by the numbers of foreclosures, and the incredible bargains there are, but of course, if you need to sell first you're stuck. For example, I looked around the Tampa, Ft. Meyers area, and there were hundreds of foreclosures, going for less than $80K...

I've been watching the prices in Ashland, but they're not going down much. What was on the market for $600K might sell for $575k. It's supply and demand, and there is a huge demand, as folks from the Bay Area sell and come here. It amazes me that these huge expensive houses keep selling, even in this market.

No one knows just now long this downhill slide is going to last. Probably it's best to sit still until the fallout settles and we can reevaluate the damage. Do you remember in grade school when we had those silly 'duck and cover' drills? HAH! as if.... Well, maybe this IS the time for us to hide berneath our desks and wait it out... Maybe there are better places to be, and maybe the grass really isn't greener? I do think it's a time to form solid alliances with those in our communtities, and a time for being grateful. Grateful for all we DO have. For surely it could be a lot worse!

(Sorry for my 'sermon'....)

I would love to meet with any and all of you in the future...so please keep me in the loop.

I hope the coming year will be better than the last...Thanks again for being there and sharing your energy and thoughts.

Here is another link I'd like to share with you, in case you haven't already seen it yet...

Great Retirement Spots - Real Estate - Active Adult Communities - Homes - Retirement 55+

Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 AM

15 posts, read 53,752 times
Well, i pm'd Betsy on the Malaysia thingy.
$600K for a house.!!! WOW.
My wife and i have a quarter acre with 4,000sqft 3 bed, 3 toilet, + carport - want to buy for $120,000?
For sale now, Seremban, Malaysia. (Google it)
Also for sale, 1 old 728i BM - $2,000.

We're moving to the beach. A penthouse in one of the big resorts going for around $45K.
We live retired on around $750 per month. OK, so we're big spenders. Why not. At my age, we may as well live like kings on that income.
cheers all
greg

Old 12-27-2008, 11:46 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi there! Iowa -- well, it was pretty....but I know what you mean.....I'm just trying to be open to all ideas!

Okay, Colorado. Yes, I would still consider Colorado. When I was last in Colorado Springs (a year and a half ago), it had grown sooooo much! I was very surprised. I do have a friend who lives in Grand Junction -- which is much hotter than the Springs. I don't think I would live back in Boulder now -- it is still pretty, but so much has changed since I last lived there, and there are many, many trust fund babies there! Even when I lived there, there were tons of trust fund babies, and I noticed that things are much more upscale now and not as natural or comfortable. It's really too bad, because I had hoped to go back there. But I probably need a change, anyway! The main problem I had with Colorado Springs was it didn't seem as friendly, and the fundamentalist churches' influence. So, I am kind of torn.

I realy haven't spent alot of time on Colo Sprngs so I don't know how friendly the people are - I was thinking that people are people and there are people there from everywhere so there's going to be a little of everything. I will say that the people on the CS CD forum are getting crabby. I get that they are tired of people moving into their state (resources like jobs, water, etc... are limited).

Forget about the Fundies - ignore them. Their influence is getting weaker all the time.

I am still open to Chico, California -- my compromise town, and to Paradise, California, just down the road from Chico (Paradise has a population of about 27,000 and 55% are retired).

I'd be interested in looking at Chico & Paradise. I haven't checked home prices and taxes but that of course would be a major consideration. What I read about both sounds interesting.

I thought of how cheap it is to buy houses and land in upstate New York, but then you have those awful property taxes that eat up so much monthly income, and the long, hard winters -- although summers are quite lovely.

I still like New Mexico, though, and like the desert low humidity, clear skies, and wide open spaces. It did take me time to adjust to the desert when I lived there when I was 30 and moved to Phoenix from Buffalo, but now I have learned to love it.

Maybe I am back to square one. Since Betsy and ConeyIsBabe are in this area, maybe we should look a little more in Northern California where it is not as wet and cold as Oregon, but much cheaper than the rest of California. That's kind of one reason I was looking at Chico.

Oh, maybe it's the confusing time of the holidays. Maybe Betsy and ConeyIsBabe and I could all meet up around here sometime -- when it's a bit warmer. It would be a start for our "real life" people get-together -- got to start sometime!

Okay, I am in the middle of charging and filling my new iPod Nano my daughter gave me for Christmas -- I am such a technie now (not). It's cool and I'm happy to have it -- I do love to listen to many different kinds of music.

What a great gift!! Your daughter is going to make sure you stay "with it". That's a very good thing!

I think figuring out a meet-up for many of us might be planned for summer....just a thought. Someplace that could have potential for a future living place. I'm ready to start taking action -- recession/depression or not, I'm not getting any younger, and I'm ready to start moving on!

I hear you there - I already told Nancy that if she can make it to Mpls, I'll drive us the rest of the way since we'll want a car. I love road trips - I traveled alot with my job but it was always by air - you just don't get to see the country.

Nancy, think about it. I'm an excellent driver - no accidents since I was 19 (true with 1 caveat; 2 deer ran into the side of my car driving back from CO last year, that's right, 2).

And, I would love to meet some of you. I'm certainly not going to retire permanently in MN. I think we can all agree that we have worked hard all our lives and deserve to spend "our golden years" in total bliss !! I believe strongly in "use it or lose it" so getting involved in establishing a new community would be just the challenge I need. I love the idea of parking the car and using a golf cart for most transportation. Maybe we could race them!!

I also want this to be more than women. After my divorce I focused on my job and friends and didn't feel I had the time to fool around with the dating scene - the whole idea of "dating" made me ill. My ex called on Christmas and said he's shocked that I have remained single (so has he). Maybe I need a good shrink. But, a good mix of people would be a good thing - right!! Afterall, we're all sensational!!!!

This is such a great group of women, that I do hope we can find a compromise place for at least four or five of us....or more!

Glad you got that tree down MN2CO! I finally got an artificial one because either the cats climbed on the real one or knocked it over, or I had to actually tie it to the wall to keep it from tipping! And now I don't have to haul a real tree onto my little car anymore...and this one looks just as real (someone asked if I might need a monitor that tells if your tree is about to burst into flames -- I swear it....but I didn't because it is not real!).

I also have an artificial tree - I bought it in the late 80's - right after Christmas for like 75% off. It's a beauty, even after all this time. I replaced the stand several years ago and have had problems keeping it standing ever since. I also put lots of stuff on it so I'm sure that has something to do with it. This year I used gallon paint cans, 4 of them, (unopened & sealed) to balance it. When it fell it just dragged the paint cans with it - I have hardwood floors and yes, I wrapped the cans in skid resistant padding. So much for that strategy. I need a hook from the ceiling (next house).

Coney, I understand your concerns for staying in your house. You will be the best judge of when the market has improved enough to sell, but your happiness is what counts the most. It's going to be a very long time before market values are anywhere close to what they were. Gee, I know, let's all get together and request a BAIL-OUT for our new enterprisng retirees group!!! Several billion ought to do it. Think what we could do! We'll even promise to drive our energy-efficient cars to the prison to visit all the thieves that I'm hoping will be there. Heck, I'll even bake cookies (the good kind!!).

I do know that moving to where there is an existing support group i much more appealing than moving all alone. So, think about Colorado!!! There's so much to do that only requires gas. So many places to explore. You don't have to live in Boulder to enjoy it. It also doesn't have to be Colorado Springs. Think about it!!!!

I hope the new year brings in new beginnings and happy times for all of us!
Happy New Year to all of you!! Next year is the year of action. Spirits up!! As Wisteria says: We are women, hear us roar-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r!!
http://bestsmileys.com/animals/2.gif (broken link) I couldn't find a lion. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.