Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 04:21 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I live in south Florida where it is SO hot for about 7 months of the year. Oh, and did I mention the humidity and chance of hurricanes. I feel like I hibernate during those hot months.

UMmmmmmm....... as I sit at my 'puter and look out the window at the snow falling outside, temp around 33 degrees, damp/coldl/bleak......... a little heat and humidity sounds good to me, now

Seriously, plantlover.... I know what you mean; lived in s/FL for 40 years and thought the PNW would be an adventure. Yeah.... 6 months of cold/rain/show/slush/

Are we never satisfied where we are ??

Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post

UMmmmmmm....... as I sit at my 'puter and look out the window at the snow falling outside, temp around 33 degrees, damp/coldl/bleak......... a little heat and humidity sounds good to me, now

Seriously, plantlover.... I know what you mean; lived in s/FL for 40 years and thought the PNW would be an adventure. Yeah.... 6 months of cold/rain/show/slush/

Are we never satisfied where we are ??
Where do you think you would like to move? I just don't know. I want 4 seasons again. South Florida is so far from everywhere else. Have you ever visited the Smokey Mountain region?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Default If I had my d'ruthers.......

[quote=plantlover;6620811]Where do you think you would like to move? I just don't know. I want 4 seasons again. South Florida is so far from everywhere else. Have you ever visited the Smokey Mountain region/QUOTE]

I have visited the Smokey Mts. once, but am not considering it as a relocation area; no friends there.. My real favorite place would be the west coast - Bay area - but it's a matter of the economy. Second choice is possibly either coast of Florida but definitely NOT s/Florida. I really don't know

STUCK in s/Oregon and trying to make the best of it

Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Where do you think you would like to move? I just don't know. I want 4 seasons again. South Florida is so far from everywhere else. Have you ever visited the Smokey Mountain region?
I'm so definitely "there". At the point in my life where I'm starting over again and just can't decide on a place to live. I'm pretty sure I want to leave NC (no roots here, too hot) but afraid to go too far north... too cold, even though I am from WNY, and too far away from where my kids want to settle. This quandry sounds familiar around here. Maybe we should all just give it up and travel!!
PS: I'm 58, also.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 PM

52 posts, read 200,629 times
Default Retirement Places

The East Tennessee area has won the hearts of my wife and I. We are both in our mid 50's and plan to move from Minnesota to Tennessee in less than two years. Unfortuately we cannot retire yet, so we will be looking for meaningful employment for a few years. We absolutely fell in love with the beauty of the mountains, lower cost of living and the more "tempered climate". We have met lots of wonderful people there and they have become our friends. We purchased a modest home (that we plan to eventually move into) from a very motivated seller less than 30 minutes from Knoxville a year ago that we currently rent out until we can sell our home in MN. We have traveled to TN at various times throughout the year and our only complaint was a few hot, humid days in July and August, but afterall, where is the weather perfect all year and the cost of living affordable?? The people are so warm and welcoming - always willing to invite you in for a cup of coffee and help out in anyway that they can. We can't wait until we make the move. There is a wide array of shopping, dining and entertainment choices available and the health care facilities seem to be newer and conveniently located. Fortunately, we have not had to use them yet!

As far as housing is concerned, there are a fair amount of newer condos available at reasonable prices. We have found the realtors that we have dealt with to be very professional and helpful. They have become our friends as well and we usually try to hook up with them we we are in town. We also noted that there are a lot of "handymen" in the area that work at reasonable rates which we found helpful since we are do not live close enough to our rental property to do repairs.

What more can I say, we love East Tennessee!!

Happy Holidays to All!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Default Just made it to 50!!!

...pages that is!

DancingEarth, your home looks gorgeous - thanks for posting the pics!

I posted a q. on the real estate forum about possibly renting out my home until the market improves enough to sell. Just trying to explore all my options. Have any of you ever rented out your home? If so, was the experience OK, or would you never do it again?

Every time I read more pages of this thread (catching up) I see all the new names. If I was a sociology major, this thread would be my thesis! It is like a living, breathing life form all it's own & I'm blown away by how many women are single & happy - the media does it's best to make one think otherwise. You all are giving me hope, faith & realistic suggestions. I'm still freaked out at how I will make it all come together; at least reading your posts convinces me that it will all work out.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:50 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Default It will work out!

Piperspal - this thread is absolutely wonderful, isn't it. Now where has everyone gone? I think now that so many have had to put off their retirement plans for now (not for ever) they are focusing on making their currents lives the best possible. I came in late on this thread and was equally as impressed. I have never rented out my home and I don't think I'm brave enough to do it. It would have to be someone that I knew well - AND that knew me. So, keep reading!!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Default Hello MN neighbor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlover View Post
The East Tennessee area has won the hearts of my wife and I. We are both in our mid 50's and plan to move from Minnesota to Tennessee in less than two years. Unfortuately we cannot retire yet, so we will be looking for meaningful employment for a few years. We absolutely fell in love with the beauty of the mountains, lower cost of living and the more "tempered climate". We have met lots of wonderful people there and they have become our friends. We purchased a modest home (that we plan to eventually move into) from a very motivated seller less than 30 minutes from Knoxville a year ago that we currently rent out until we can sell our home in MN. We have traveled to TN at various times throughout the year and our only complaint was a few hot, humid days in July and August, but afterall, where is the weather perfect all year and the cost of living affordable??

Happy Holidays to All!
tnlover - Welcome to the best thread on this board!! I'm from Mpls (Edina) and I also considered the Knoxvlle area. You have to admit, it gets and little hot and steamy here in JUly as well. I lived in Colorado (Centennial) for 2 years and just loved it, so that is where I'm currently considering. I love the beauty, the drier climate and I just can't give up the 4 seasons. Now, who knows what the living situation will be anywhere when all this mess is over, so I'm keeping my options open. Happy Holidays http://bestsmileys.com/christmas3/13.gif (broken link)

Old 12-19-2008, 10:37 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times

I have heard this from many people.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Talking Yup, we're all in the same boat !

So, let it be this one !

Someday, the economy will improve..... we will all be able to sell / relocate to the community we desire and maybe it will be the same town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.