Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Just had to make a comment about the one thing we ALL seem to agree on..
NO ONE wants ARIZONA!!...
I knew it wasn't just me! Not sure what your experiences are, but mine was life shattering. Glad we're in agreement on that one.
I wondered if i could ask why no one wants AZ? I have been here a short time (and don't know for sure it's where I'll end up) but wondered why no one likes it...am I missing something

Thanks for you info

Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I wondered if i could ask why no one wants AZ? I have been here a short time (and don't know for sure it's where I'll end up) but wondered why no one likes it...am I missing something
I've lived in So. AZ for 25 years, but want to leave because the summers, especially the monsoon, are too hot for me. Also I can't stand the political tendency of most of this state.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:28 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Add me to the list of holiday-haters. I hate the fact that the "holidays" start earlier and earlier, the religious meaning is long gone, the commercials are endless and it's just all this pressure to shop and "get decorated". I decided it was not worth the aggravation.

My small immediate family is not in this area. But I always get invitations to Thanksgiving, from both family and friends, and I do appreciate that. However, my experiences at these dinners have been less than wonderful -- at one dinner, my two cousins kept arguing with one another right in front of me. At a different cousin's, she and her husband kept getting testy with each other. Hey, who needs that crap? I'd rather be by myself. Plus, I don't want the pressure of cooking or baking anything, even to bring as a guest. And if I hear one more time -- "are you cooking?". What is it with these women? Who cares who's cooking! I guess maybe those who are cooking want to brag about it, ergo they ask you first. Tonight someone asked "did you cook?" and I purposely didn't respond, "No, did you?" I really didn't care if she cooked.

OK, I know I sound like a grumpy old man, but I just thought I'd join in the "glad Thanksgiving's over" crowd.

Last edited by Avalon08; 11-30-2008 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Length

Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
I've lived in So. AZ for 25 years, but want to leave because the summers, especially the monsoon, are too hot for me. Also I can't stand the political tendency of most of this state.
Thanks TerryC11. What town do you live in? So far I love the warm, dry heat and haven't minded the summers in Sedona. I even considered moving to the phoenix area (which I know most people will think is nuts). I know everyone is different...I don't want to be cold or have clouds.

If anyone out there can help, I feel like I need a bit more going on than what Sedona has to offer...I LOVE the hiking but it's small and doesn't have much in the way of immenities. I think I need a slightly more 'happening' place and could take a warmer place (reminder I am only 48 but work for myslef and just need internet and phone to work).

Thanks for any suggestions. I had forgotten about this forum and have only gotten to about page 25 of the posts....did you ever meet?

Anomoly, where are you now? I have thought of full timing in an RV someday myself.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks TerryC11. What town do you live in? So far I love the warm, dry heat and haven't minded the summers in Sedona. I even considered moving to the phoenix area (which I know most people will think is nuts). I know everyone is different...I don't want to be cold or have clouds.
I live in the desert about 30 miles from Tucson, not in town.
Sedona is cooler than it is here.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Talking Avalon08..........

I empathize with your little "holiday rant" and all I can say is

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%

I am SOoooo relieved on Jan 1st when it's all over

To all the holiday lovers out there...... Enjoy ...... Happy Holidays

Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
I live in the desert about 30 miles from Tucson, not in town.
Sedona is cooler than it is here.
Ok thanks, so far don't mind the weather, actually I was sad when I realized fall was here .

Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Wow! How did I miss this thread for so long?? I am only up to page 5 - that's a lotta catching up to do!

I am 47 & will most likely work until 72-ish as long as I keep healthy. I am self-employed with tanking investments, so unless an unexpected monetary increase falls in my lap - I'll be working longer than I'd like! Hopefully I will reach a level of success in the next few years so that work will start feeling more like a hobby & I can play like I'm retired!

My husband died about two & a half years ago & I have no children except the 4-legged kind. I am still close with my husband's side of the family here in upstate NY, and my side lives mostly in Colorado with a few more folks on both sides scattered t/o the U.S. So I pretty much can go anywhere I want that would support my business.

That's how I stumbled onto C-D....doing research about where to relocate. The taxes here in NY are burying me!!! I so far have my choices whittled down to TN, PA, VA, and KY, but haven't totally closed the door on staying in NY. I took an exploratory road trip last spring with the intent to see Knoxville. That area of the country is just gorgeous & you are all so right: the people could not be nicer!

I need to scrape up the courage to leave NY , but I also have to make sure I get a somewhat decent price for my house before I bolt. I am considering renting the house out for the next 10 years or so in order to get out of Dodge sooner. So if any of you have thoughts or advice on that aspect, plz. let me hear them!

In the meantime, I'll return to page 5 out of 50+ on this thread!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Welcome, Piperspal! It took me so long to catch up when I originally found this thread, that I don't go a couple days without checking it now.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Isn't this the best thead ever ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.